January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Calendar of Upcoming Skeptic Events
hardindr
New Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:34 pm

January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby hardindr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:45 pm

"Facts Don’t Count (For Much): What, If Anything Can Rational Citizens Do About It"

Presentation by Professor Don Siegel, Department of Earth Sciences, Syracuse University

Sponsored by CNY Skeptics

Time: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 7:00 PM

Where: Manlius Library, One Arkie Albanese Ave, Manlius, NY, 13104, USA

Event is Free and Open to the Public

Light refreshments will be served

Please contact 1-315-636-6533 or email info@cnyskeptics.org for more information

Presentation Summary:

Professor Don Siegel (Syracuse University, Earth Sciences) will discuss why facts and reasonably rational discourse are no longer in vogue in America because of a return to regional and social tribalism of the past, coupled to prominence of digital media and entertainment and a decline of traditional American education. To avoid sounding like an older guy crying for the past, Siegel will offer one possible way to try and ameliorate this state of affairs, with the hope that over time things might change.

Presenter Bio:

Professor Emeritus Donald Siegel’s science career spans over 45 years doing research, consulting and teaching on problems related the aqueous geochemistry and hydrogeology of natural and contaminated waters. He earned his BS in Geology from the University of Rhode Island, an MS in Geology at Penn State University and PhD in Hydrogeology from the University of Minnesota. Siegel joined Syracuse University in 1982 where he was employed from 1982-2017.

Professor Siegel is a Fellow of the Geological Society of America, American Geophysical Union, and American Association for the Advancement of Science. He has served on numerous scientific panels of the National Research Council (NRC) of the National Academy of Sciences and also as its Chair of the Water Science and Technology Board.

Central New York Skeptics (CNY Skeptics) is a community organization dedicated to the promotion of science and reason, the investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims, and the improvement of standards for science education and critical-thinking skills.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:47 pm

there are facts of conspiracies and ufos, aliens ignored by intellectuals who are limited in their knowledge...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10521
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm

gorgeous wrote:there are facts of conspiracies and ufos, aliens ignored by intellectuals who are limited in their knowledge...


You should attend, gorgeous. Perhaps you could become a little less limited in your knowledge.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:32 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
gorgeous wrote:there are facts of conspiracies and ufos, aliens ignored by intellectuals who are limited in their knowledge...

You should attend, gorgeous. Perhaps you could become a little less limited in your knowledge.

Why do you hate America?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4209
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby gorgeous » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:10 pm

I don't...why do you hate the truth?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10521
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
gorgeous wrote:there are facts of conspiracies and ufos, aliens ignored by intellectuals who are limited in their knowledge...

You should attend, gorgeous. Perhaps you could become a little less limited in your knowledge.

Why do you hate America?

Their women's team beat our women's team in soccer a couple of weeks ago.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26761
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:42 pm

gorgeous wrote:I don't...why do you hate the truth?


Which "truth" are you going with today, Gorgeous? :lol:

Are the alien shape shifting lizards still running the world this week....as you claim? Or is it the Illuminati running the world, this week.....as you also claim? Why hasn't "god" who you also claim is real, got rid of the aliens and Illuminati?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29430
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: January 2018 CNY Skeptics Meeting: "Facts Don’t Count (For Much)"

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:59 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
gorgeous wrote:there are facts of conspiracies and ufos, aliens ignored by intellectuals who are limited in their knowledge...

You should attend, gorgeous. Perhaps you could become a little less limited in your knowledge.

Why do you hate America?

Their women's team beat our women's team in soccer a couple of weeks ago.

Unbelievable. How could they even find the ball in all the snow?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Skeptic Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest