"The Beautiful Dead" by Belinda Bauer

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

"The Beautiful Dead" by Belinda Bauer

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 29, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm about one-third of the way into this mystery/thriller, and finding it superb.

What I especially like is Bauer's writing style: forthright and frank, very plain, with lots of profanity, yet literate. I especially like the fact that the writing has not been Americanized to make it more comprehensible to us retarded Yanks. I understand, for example, that a telephone box is a telephone booth (although very soon nobody anywhere will be able to find either).

The leading character is Eve Singer, a reporter for one of the tabloid television channels, who is a single mother looking after a senile father---a heavy burden, one would say. And the killer is a twisted man, but you get to find out early on WHY he's so twisted, and that makes him seem more human.

Best of all, there's humo[u]r in it. Consider Eve's neighbo[u]r Mr. Elias, a 65-year-old pensioner whose wife recently died. He is the civic-minded busybody who tries to keep the whole place looking good and its inhabitants behaving in a civilized manner. We learn that the people around him appreciated that. "He knew that, because since his wife had died, several of them -- all widows -- had started to send him cards, thanking him for his efforts."

He hadn't paid attention to Eve for a decade or more while she was growing into a beautiful young woman and his wife was still alive. Now he couldn't help himself. He wasn't a pervert, but (like any heterosexual male) he had his fantasies, and he began to watch Eve, especially her breasts, with more and more interest as time went on. Finally, one night Eve's father wanders off in the snow and Eve goes out looking for him. She knocks on Mr. Elias's door, and explains what has happened, and he says, "Come in for a moment. I'll put my boobs on and help you."
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: "The Beautiful Dead" by Belinda Bauer

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 29, 2017 3:32 pm

One Third in and you know the murderer? So, more a thriller than a mystery..... unless....what???

Good writing is good writing....but who "wants" to enjoy such a premise?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:One Third in and you know the murderer? So, more a thriller than a mystery..... unless....what???

Good writing is good writing....but who "wants" to enjoy such a premise?

No, you don't have the killer's identity. You just have The Killer and some facts from his past and present. The tension in the book comes more from wondering what he'll try to do to Eve, and whether he will succeed. His actual identity may be a surprise ending (I wouldn't know yet), but I don't think so. He's not any of the other male characters around Eve.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon May 29, 2017 4:45 pm

I listened to the preview on Audible. I may get it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 30, 2017 4:31 am

Does sound like a good "set up." "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" might have been somewhat similar: who the narrator of the story is turns out to be a surprise. Something you can do in books that just looks forced and fake in movies.

..and to my complaint, I remember liking the movie "Lovely Bones," I assume its from a book that was no doubt better, but the movie was just fine. Very "wistful" as a child looking down after a too early death might do............ha, ha....if possible.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”