Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance

Share your thoughts on the written word.
brownskinnedskeptics

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance

Postby brownskinnedskeptics » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:33 pm

I picked up this book a few weeks ago and only completed a quarter it. I attend small college in the big city of Toronto and it's needless to say that it's a pretty left-leaning school.

The concept of white privilege is wide spread and everyone from first year students to tenured faculty propagate it every chance they get. But Vance sheds a new light on the experiences of white people in North American and it puts a dent on this idea that white people benefit from a privilege just because of their skin colour.

Curious to know what people think about white privilege, and if you're like me and think it's a load of bull crap, how do you debate people at college campuses, work places, bars etc?

Best,

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 am

The book seems to only relate to a small percentage of USA citizens in one location. This isn't really representative of "all whites" is it?

What are the books key arguments? How do they relate to places forum members belong, like Australia, Norway, Slovenia or New Zealand?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:00 am

brownskinnedskeptics wrote:But Vance sheds a new light on the experiences of white people in North American and it puts a dent on this idea that white people benefit from a privilege just because of their skin colour.

Yeah, I agree. Very little "privilege" across great swaths of the poor whites. It only becomes clear when you compare advantages and disadvantages across the color barrier. If you don't see it then, then you are a racist ignorant unimaginative bigot.

Easy to demonstrate. How much money would you accept to wake up tomorrow exactly as you are right now except with black skin? I'll just assume its more than the price of a cup of coffee?..... or in your case, a Mountain Dew???
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:44 am

depends on how black .

Rachel Dolezal is an example of someone being better off pretending to be black .
im guessing anyone who met her would assume she was mixed race

not as obvious nowadays in the usa .
some places it might be an advantage .
except yea real black as opposed to mixed .
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”