Killing Hope by William Blum

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Killing Hope by William Blum

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Am reading Killing Hope: US Military and Cia Intervention Since WW II which Noam Chomsky said is "far and away the best book on this topic."
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/17836 ... pldnSite=1

This book is very readable. It is 471 pages long, but almost reads like a novel.

It is not for anyone who wants to retain a belief that the US is the world's great benefactor.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Killing Hope by William Blum

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Tom Palven wrote:Am reading Killing Hope: US Military and Cia Intervention Since WW II which Noam Chomsky said is "far and away the best book on this topic."
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/17836 ... pldnSite=1

This book is very readable. It is 471 pages long, but almost reads like a novel.

It is not for anyone who wants to retain a belief that the US is the world's great benefactor.

But Tom, anyone who wants to retain a belief that the US is the world's great benefactor is unlikely to take Noam Chomsky's word for anything at all.
And anyone who is looking for corroboration of long held convictions will find 471 pages, much to short.

I too think that " Killing Hope.." is both readable and convincing, but I want to put in a word for another of his books, one from 2004 that has been on my mind often in the past two weeks, every time one of the horrendous images from Aleppo appears on my TV screen or in print:

"Freeing the World to Death: Essays on the American Empire"

Regretfully, morosely, sadly, ...resignedly ... almost every word of it is true.

NMB

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks guys.... I have added them both to my book list.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:28 pm

I just ordered a used version of Freeing the World to Death from Amazon.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”