god is not great

Share your thoughts on the written word.
FredLewis

god is not great

Postby FredLewis » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:23 pm

The subtitle is "How Religion Poisons Everything". Somewhere I read the response, "Really? Even knitting?", and elsewhere a query in the same vein regarding chess.

Google reveals the existence of a website advertised as "Get the Knitting Bible Study Here" and whose website can be examined at http://www.knittingbiblestudy.com/getknittingbiblestudy.htm and another, "Knitters for Christ - Millersville Community Church" at http://www.mcchurch.net.

If you play chess, it seems that you may be consigned to hell. Advertised as "Should Christians Play Chess Or This Is Something Harmful (sic)" and found at http://www.e-hope4all.info/should-christians-play-chess/ it declares "Not too many ask this question as the game seems to be an innocent one. Should Christians play chess? There is no physical violence in this game as seen in many competitive sports like football, rugby etc. The dangers in playing chess are more subtle, disguised, and this is why many Christians can’t see any problem in playing chess."

My seven year old grandson and I shall now play. I can just see the neurons and the associated axons and dendrites populating his beautiful brain as we do so.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: god is not great

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:42 pm

I thought the main complaint would be doing anything that is not worshiping god is time not well spent. IOW--any time not spent on basic subsistence activities should be spent reading the bible or in prayer or supplication? I mean, we are talking about your Ever Lasting Soul. And subsistence is only permitted as it provides the time to rinse, lather and repeat.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I thought the main complaint would be doing anything that is not worshiping god is time not well spent. IOW--any time not spent on basic subsistence activities should be spent reading the bible or in prayer or supplication? I mean, we are talking about your Ever Lasting Soul. And subsistence is only permitted as it provides the time to rinse, lather and repeat.

Sustenance, fornication, and prayer.... but as a damaged goods person, I never get beyond the second… unless of course I am praying for the first two.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 pm

FredLewis wrote:...There is no physical violence in this game as seen in many competitive sports like football, rugby etc. The dangers in playing chess are more subtle, disguised, and this is why many Christians can’t see any problem in playing chess."

So physical violence, big money and corruption are fine but there are real dangers in chess... go Tebow!
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:08 am

I guess Christians have never played Wizards' Chess.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:28 am

I have to disagree with the title of this thread :

With 144ft, the God Shiva is truly great.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kailash ... dev_Statue
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 am

I`m fairly sure that it only has two feet.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:10 am

TJrandom wrote:I`m fairly sure that it only has two feet.

Holy centipede?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Bart Stewart
Regular Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:08 pm

FredLewis wrote:The subtitle is "How Religion Poisons Everything". Somewhere I read the response, "Really? Even knitting?", and elsewhere a query in the same vein regarding chess.

Google reveals the existence of a website advertised as "Get the Knitting Bible Study Here" and whose website can be examined at http://www.knittingbiblestudy.com/getknittingbiblestudy.htm and another, "Knitters for Christ - Millersville Community Church" at http://www.mcchurch.net.

If you play chess, it seems that you may be consigned to hell. Advertised as "Should Christians Play Chess Or This Is Something Harmful (sic)" and found at http://www.e-hope4all.info/should-christians-play-chess/ it declares "Not too many ask this question as the game seems to be an innocent one. Should Christians play chess? There is no physical violence in this game as seen in many competitive sports like football, rugby etc. The dangers in playing chess are more subtle, disguised, and this is why many Christians can’t see any problem in playing chess."

My seven year old grandson and I shall now play. I can just see the neurons and the associated axons and dendrites populating his beautiful brain as we do so.

Your post gets to the nub of the matter of religion's stultifying effect on the mind. All religions have a vast array of rules and regs, so many of which are stated in such vague and poetical terms that humans have to work out the means of compliance on their own, or by way of a helpful guru or human intermediary to God. Often this will mean erring on the side of being over-rigorous (because, after all, you sure don't want to fall short on your compliance!)

I often think back on all the mental illness that has been set in motion down through the ages by religious strictures: unnecessary guilt syndromes, grotesque sexual repression, judgemental frenzies, unreason, and fanaticism in all forms. If you total it all up, and all of its spin-offs, and spin-offs of spin-offs, you end up with a whopping percentage of historical human misery. I sometimes will say to religious people, "You know, there is a dark side to religion, that you guys never speak of." It is the understatement of the eon. It could even be called weak. But so many of them cannot withstand hearing real criticism of it. It is a long-ago walled-off compartment in their minds that must not be breached for examination.

It is easy to see why Christopher Hitchens was so unrelenting in his denunciations of it all, though I think you have to heal this psychological syndrome a little more gently than he did. (Granted, there is no arguing with success.) I try to gently but firmly spell out the intellectual case for humanism. I think there is room for both approaches. Many religious people joined their faith out of a humanistic impulse in the first place. The religious structure was sold to them as the way of fulfilling their innate humanistic impulse, indeed the only way.

A little trivia on Hitchens' book -- He didn't write the subtitle, "How Religion Poisons Everything." His publisher added that. He had no big objection to it, but he seemed a little miffed that one of the most famous phrases in the book was one he didn't write.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:14 pm

TJrandom wrote:I`m fairly sure that it only has two feet.

Regardless of the number of feet, religion hasn't a leg to stand on.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”