The Way of the Heathen

Share your thoughts on the written word.
User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

The Way of the Heathen

Postby Lausten » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Greta Christina's latest book
I'm going to go ahead and recommend this after only reading the first few chapters. I should be done soon, I'll retract if necessary. But it's been quite the pleasure so far. It's light in a way, but she starts out tackling big issues, without fluff. Like saying, I just want to scream when someone asks why it's not okay to believe in God, even if you know it might not be real and have no evidence, as if that's a normal question. And then she goes on to give a great answer.

A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10227
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Ha, ha.....while it does sound like a good read....your sample puts me right off. "We have a moral obligation to xxxx" is always BS. Just one person wanting to force their opinion on everyone else...as your signature warns against.

Its the existentialist in me. How about the MORAL OBLIGATION to leave other people alone? As in: FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM?

Frankly....I assume most people CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH: there is no god. Why make their lives miserable?

Yes, it all has consequences in our real world....but those are other questions/issues.

Yea, verily===>now all you sheep should believe like me.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:26 pm

I take it the quote is not necessarily the answer to the previous statement?
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby Lausten » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:44 pm

It's a pre-condition of morality that there are moral rules. You're advocating something more like anarchy Bobbo, and since you are so f-ing annoying, in an anarchy, you wouldn't be around for long.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby Lausten » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:46 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I take it the quote is not necessarily the answer to the previous statement?

It gives a reason for having reasons. If the world is going to be anything but a free for all, we need to understand what is real and what isn't.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10227
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:01 pm

Lausten wrote:It's a pre-condition of morality that there are moral rules. //// 1. No. 2. A complete meaningless tautology. 3. Like what...name 2 or 3.


Lausten wrote:You're advocating something more like anarchy Bobbo /// In isolation, that response is reasonable. But...read my signature: what is the most good for the most people? Definitely NOT anarchistic. FREEEEEEEEEDOM--is leaving other people alone to live and think as they wish ....until...their stupidity bumps up on your own. You reduce the bumps, if you reduce the bothering other people. Make them ask first.


Lausten wrote: and since you are so f-ing annoying, in an anarchy, you wouldn't be around for long.
Oh L: the brute comes out in you so easily. Ha, ha. Sadly, more truth than false in what you say....brutish world that it is.

But HEY!======>All I'm trying to do is "fulfill my moral obligation to explain how the world works===to those who don't want to hear it."

Ha, ha.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:26 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:But HEY!======>All I'm trying to do is "fulfill my moral obligation to explain how the world works===to those who don't want to hear it."

Ha, ha.

The key word in the quote is 'understand'. It is not 'explain'. The wooistosphere seeks to explain before there is even a modicum of understanding.

First A, then B.

Cause and effect? or post hoc ergo proptor hoc? You need to find out because mistakes can be costly.
  is mistakes can be costly a cause and effect thing or a post hoc thing?  
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10227
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:35 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:The key word in the quote is 'understand'. It is not 'explain'. The wooistosphere seeks to explain before there is even a modicum of understanding.

First A, then B.

Cause and effect? or post hoc ergo proptor hoc? You need to find out because mistakes can be costly.
  is mistakes can be costly a cause and effect thing or a post hoc thing?  

Quite right. Thanks for the correction. Hmmmm.....why did I immediately jump to evangelizing ?

“We have a moral obligation to understand how cause and effect works. We need to understand the world, so we know how to act in it.” //// First sentence: still BS. Second Sentence: the very definition of pragmatism. But choosing pragmatism in this meaningless universe IS MY CHOICE....not a moral mandate. I have no problem with Dumb Matt choosing a life of emotionally wanting what he knows he can't have.................: his choice. And we live with such choices, until we choose...............to change. That is the meaning of life.

Yes, we learn, or have the opportunity to learn, from our mistakes. AKA: science. A good thing. Post Hoc: a good starting point.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:59 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:The key word in the quote is 'understand'. It is not 'explain'. The wooistosphere seeks to explain before there is even a modicum of understanding.

First A, then B.

Cause and effect? or post hoc ergo proptor hoc? You need to find out because mistakes can be costly.
  is mistakes can be costly a cause and effect thing or a post hoc thing?  

Quite right. Thanks for the correction. Hmmmm.....why did I immediately jump to evangelizing ?

“We have a moral obligation to understand how cause and effect works. We need to understand the world, so we know how to act in it.” //// First sentence: still BS. Second Sentence: the very definition of pragmatism. But choosing pragmatism in this meaningless universe IS MY CHOICE....not a moral mandate. I have no problem with Dumb Matt choosing a life of emotionally wanting what he knows he can't have.................: his choice. And we live with such choices, until we choose...............to change. That is the meaning of life.

Yes, we learn, or have the opportunity to learn, from our mistakes. AKA: science. A good thing. Post Hoc: a good starting point.

Do you vote?
Do you interact with other people?

Then you have a moral obligation to understand cause and effect. Otherwise you might find yourself committing other people (who do understand but get outvoted) to senseless wars such as the war against Iraq, or embroiling the community in your islamophobia or . . .

How many millions of people have died over the millennia because their leaders did not understand cause and effect?

If you do not accept the moral obligation, then I think the pragmatic thing would be to shoot you to protect myself. But that would be immoral, so I won't.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10227
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: The Way of the Heathen

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Gee Whiz Oleg===>you present as one big fat contradiction.

I made the mistake of equating/conflating "understanding" with "evangelizing" and you corrected me. BUT THEN....you criticizing me for not evangelizing whatever the understanding of cause and effect I have reached to the masses.............. AS IF.......... my understanding is undeniably correct. People have different views on what casuality of various issues is. Have you EVER participated in a forum discussion?????

Kinda stoopid..........if you ask me.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?


Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests