New Book - Most Wanted

Share your thoughts on the written word.
letsbefriends

New Book - Most Wanted

Postby letsbefriends » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:49 pm

I was just thinking today about books I'd like to see that haven't been written yet. Ever have the experience of being into a topic - and going to search for a book on it - and not finding any literature? Good books on epigenetics, optogenetics and comparative literature of best theories (across history and all sciences) on various topics would be cool to see....but don't actually exist yet.

So what's the one book you'd like to read which hasn't been written yet? Ideally something within the realm of what seems possible...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: New Book - Most Wanted

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Not quite what you're asking but I'd like to read a history about modern society in which religion, if extant, is a purely private matter without any influence on laws, public policies, work and educational life...

Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 pm

From the thread title, at first I assumed that there was a new book out on the FBIs` Most Wanted list of criminals.... :oops:

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 pm

OK – so for my yet unpublished book, I have been waiting for a very long time now to read the full and of course `true` story of what happened to Amelia Earhart – which can only be published after they confirm the find of her plane, bones, and post-crash diary. Alternatively, I would accept a first person report from Amelia and the person who travels back in time and rescues her.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:46 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Not quite what you're asking but I'd like to read a history about modern society in which religion, if extant, is a purely private matter without any influence on laws, public policies, work and educational life...

LOL… A thoughtful, even edifying response,as usual Eggs..

And it is only fitting that you should thank yourself for it in the persona of an actor.
(An actor, of course, being someone who ALSO depends on lines written for him by someone else.)

But that quibble aside, don't you think hoped for "history" is unlikely to hit the library shelves any time in the foreseeable future?
Or at least until seculars (that's you and me) can exhibit to those who still succumb to the blandishments of religious promise, and the seduction of the idea that there is actually someone or something piloting our earthly ship, that we are saner, more moral, able to face the demands of life with more equanimity, contentment, joy and curiosity?
More solid in our relationships with others?
Kinder to our neighbors?
More courageous and less susceptible to irrational fears?
Less likely to lie, especially to children, for the sake or experience of proving a point?
Calmer, less prone to hysterical outbursts of calumny and deceit?.
Less violent in our response to criticism? ?
Less eager, even avid, to win an argument for the sake of winning rather than for the sake of veracity?
Smarter, in the sense of being able to distinguish cant from sincerity? And thus able to give affection wholeheartedly, and without suspicion and restraint?
With improved attention spans for the absorption of complicated ideas?
More capable of seeing the world and thus life as exhilarating, beautiful, full of promise, rather than as a chore to be tolerated, until the finality of death? ,
And more able to face, with serenity, death, as nothingness, and as the natural and inescapable culmination of life?

Because if we are not any of those things, what difference does it make to the fearful and discouraged, and perhaps even less intelligent who get their comfort from a god, if they stay right where they are, without the convolutions required to abandon the mindlessness they know for a state of mind they don't know and has not been shown by example to be in any way superior?
Not that YOU don't exhibit many if not all of the superior in every way, characteristics of secularity, Eggs.
But one example is clearly not enough to change sheep into lions..
And only lions are going to make possible the e "history" book you long for, that would certainly provide such satisfaction, even pleasure as the proof of a brave new world… the fulfillment of rational thought and desire
Hey, maybe you could clone yourself to swell the ranks……

NMB

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:47 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Not quite what you're asking but I'd like to read a history about modern society in which religion, if extant, is a purely private matter without any influence on laws, public policies, work and educational life...

LOL… A thoughtful, even edifying response,as usual Eggs..

And it is only fitting that you should thank yourself for it in the persona of an actor.
(An actor, of course, being someone who ALSO depends on lines written for him by someone else.)

But that quibble aside, don't you think your hoped for "history" is unlikely to hit the library shelves any time in the foreseeable future?
Or at least until seculars (that's you and me) can exhibit to those who still succumb to the blandishments of religious promise, and the seduction of the idea that there is actually someone or something piloting our earthly ship, that we are saner, more moral, able to face the demands of life with more equanimity, contentment, joy and curiosity?
More solid in our relationships with others?
Kinder to our neighbors?
More courageous and less susceptible to irrational fears?
Less likely to lie, especially to children, for the sake or experience of proving a point?
Calmer, less prone to hysterical outbursts of calumny and deceit?.
Less violent in our response to criticism? ?
Less eager, even avid, to win an argument for the sake of winning rather than for the sake of veracity?
Smarter, in the sense of being able to distinguish cant from sincerity? And thus able to give affection wholeheartedly, and without suspicion and restraint?
With improved attention spans for the absorption of complicated ideas?
More capable of seeing the world and thus life as exhilarating, beautiful, full of promise, rather than as a chore to be tolerated, until the finality of death? ,
And more able to face, with serenity, death, as nothingness, and as the natural and inescapable culmination of life?

Because if we are not any of those things, what difference does it make to the fearful and discouraged, and perhaps even less intelligent who get their comfort from a god, if they stay right where they are, without the convolutions required to abandon the mindlessness they know for a state of mind they don't know and has not been shown by example to be in any way superior?
Not that YOU don't exhibit many if not all of the superior in every way, characteristics of secularity, Eggs.
But one example is clearly not enough to change sheep into lions..
And only lions are going to make possible the e "history" book you long for, that would certainly provide such satisfaction, even pleasure as the proof of a brave new world… the fulfillment of rational thought and desire
Hey, maybe you could clone yourself to swell the ranks……

NMB

letsbefriends

Postby letsbefriends » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Actually this was still what I had in mind - with enough historical/social psychological knowledge, an alternate timeline like that could be possible to write about. You'd just have to be really, really smart.

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”