The Moral Arc

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The Moral Arc

Postby Frank Hoffman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:14 pm

I have just begun reading The Moral Arc by Michael Shermer, and will put a review here once I have completed the 439 pages. I just wanted to let folks know that there is nothing special about the copy of the book ordered from the Skeptic website (I thought that it might be autographed). The reason I thought that was because on Amazon.com the book is $23.71 (with free shipping if you have Prime), whereas on this website the book is $32.00 plus 4.50 shipping. I ordered it Feb 26 and it arrived Mar 17. I understand that some of the cost may go to support The Skeptic (to which I also give a monthly donation), and although I am somewhat disappointed... I'll get over it.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: The Moral Arc

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Have you read Stephen Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature?
I would be interested to hear the differences between the two.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Postby Frank Hoffman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Have you read Stephen Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature?
I would be interested to hear the differences between the two.

Not yet, but it's on my list.

letsbefriends

Postby letsbefriends » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm 3/4 of the way through Moral Arc - ultimately, so far, an excellent addition to naturalized and superstitionless ethics. Some of his coverage for backing up moral concepts we endorse now - women's rights, civil rights, gay rights - seemed lacking in any kind of scientific or evolutionary backing...which is what you'd think would be most reflective of his core hypothesis. But his position of secularization and science being the driver(s) of moral progress (complete with many notable examples) and his concept of the moral sphere are excellent!

letsbefriends

Postby letsbefriends » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Update: finished it and the rest is great! Absolutely recommended for anyone interested in philosophy of ethics, naturalized ethics and well-reasoned discussions concerning modern moral issues.

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”