Farley Mowat died yesterday

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Farley Mowat died yesterday

Postby Gord » Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/farley-mowa ... -1.2634772

Farley Mowat, one of Canada's best-known authors and a noted environmentalist, has died at age 92.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Re: Farley Mowat died yesterday

Postby kennyc » Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 am

I'm not familiar with him, but looks like he did some good!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 am

Gord wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/farley-mowat-dead-at-92-1.2634772

Farley Mowat, one of Canada's best-known authors and a noted environmentalist, has died at age 92.

I was saddened to hear that…. he was a terrific writer and so clearly in love with what he wrote about that no reader could be immune to such passion.
Many years ago, he spoke to an environmental seminar at Columbia U, in New York, about the yearly visit of the Polar Bears at the Inuit city of Churchill, Manitoba..
It was so moving and so magical that the very next day I packed my then little children up, drove to Montreal, boarded the Canadian Via to see if it could possibly be as he described it…
Five days later… Churchill and Polar Bears..
There they were…. polar bears wandering about looking for food and water, with tour buses full of people staring at them….
I think of them often now, as the deteriorated ecology has, much as Mowat warned would happen, made the danger to the bears inevitable… and probably lethal.
And a family in Churchill, whom I met so many years ago (Canadians are SO friendly!) has often sent me pictures of them, fewer and fewer, and visibly unhealthy looking..
Commiserations….
NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu May 08, 2014 12:32 pm

'Never Cry Wolf' was probably his most significant work. It changed people's perspective of wolves from loathsome creatures to be feared into beautiful and fascinating animals to be loved. I enjoyed it, and didn't find out until much later that it was mostly fictional with little basis in science.

It's lack of scientific merit doesn't seem to have mattered much except to other people studying wolves at around the same time.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:21 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:'Never Cry Wolf' was probably his most significant work. It changed people's perspective of wolves from loathsome creatures to be feared into beautiful and fascinating animals to be loved. I enjoyed it, and didn't find out until much later that it was mostly fictional with little basis in science.

It's lack of scientific merit doesn't seem to have mattered much except to other people studying wolves at around the same time.

Yes, I'd forgotten that… a bit of history, a really classy lie….. easily accessed "fact."
Wikipedia.
One of my sons was devastated by the revelation but it was a lesson in "don't believe anything you read, and even question what you see with your own eyes."

It was a lovely work (like the Bible, beautiful, poetic, full of quotable one-liners).
And it gave readers put-upon heroes to sympathize with, admire, love.
And it made people, particularly animal lovers feel good about themselves.
We feel happier, lighter of heart, more optimistic, more generous when our affections are aroused …by a pet, a person, film, novel, an idea.
And isn't that why Disney films with anthropomorphized snakes, fire ants, hippos all on the side of widows and orphans so popular?
Besides, one of Mowat's legacies was to spur interest in threatened species, around the world, and if I remember correctly, on the part of the Canadian government on behalf of protecting animal habitats.
And at one time, you couldn't go camping or hiking without meeting others carrying one of Mowat's books, or repeating one of his lines.
He created bedfellows, well met.
And as I've already written, he enchanted me into pursuing polar bears, to what seemed at the time and seems even more so now….. the END of the earth.
Northern Canada….. not so beautiful downtown Churchill.
But he added to my life by doing it.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri May 09, 2014 5:59 am

I guess he's only required reading in Canadian schools. I read Lost in the Barrens and The Curse of the Viking Grave as a child, and they affected me greatly. School later made me read Never Cry Wolf and Owls in the Family. We knew these were adventure stories, based skeletally on true events but without the need to stick to facts. I think Mowat's the one who declared on live radio once, "{!#%@} the facts!"

nmblum wrote:...Churchill, Manitoba.

Winnipeg's seaport. Then the damn feds sold it to an American company. Lousy feds!

Canadians are SO friendly

Get bent. :nyanya:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:39 pm

Gord wrote:I guess he's only required reading in Canadian schools. I read Lost in the Barrens and The Curse of the Viking Grave as a child, and they affected me greatly. School later made me read Never Cry Wolf and Owls in the Family. We knew these were adventure stories, based skeletally on true events but without the need to stick to facts. I think Mowat's the one who declared on live radio once, "{!#%@} the facts!"

nmblum wrote:...Churchill, Manitoba.

Winnipeg's seaport. Then the damn feds sold it to an American company. Lousy feds!

Canadians are SO friendly

Get bent. :nyanya:

And self -conscious.

I said "SO friendly."
I MEANT "SO friendly."
I was, if you noticed, speaking of people ( in fact three generations of a family) that I met briefly almost half a century ago, who still send me Christmas cards and pictures of polar bears…. and I respond, now to their grandchildren as well.
Get unbent.
It's time.
And it will give you further license to disparage Americans.
Accurately or not.

NMB
Skepticism:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri May 09, 2014 11:16 pm

nmblum wrote:And it will give you further license to disparage Americans.
Accurately or not.

If I don't need accuracy, why would I need a license? :heh:
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”