The New Intelligent Design, Turning The Scientific World

Share your thoughts on the written word.
octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Re: The New Intelligent Design, Turning The Scientific World

Postby octopus1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Look for Similar Items by Category

Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Creationism
Books > Religion & Spirituality
Books > Science & Math
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math

This would work as the second part to any sentence beginning "I don't mind religion, but..."
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:59 pm

octopus1 wrote:
Look for Similar Items by Category

Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Theology > Creationism
Books > Religion & Spirituality
Books > Science & Math
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality
Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science & Math

This would work as the second part to any sentence beginning "I don't mind religion, but..."

Yeah, unfortunately since I downloaded it, I'm tainted....
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Winfield
Poster

Postby Winfield » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:59 pm

kennyc wrote:I just downloaded and skimmed your entire book Edgar. You're a loon.

Carry on.
Lol!

You can call me whatever you want to call. The book is already in publication.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Winfield wrote:
kennyc wrote:I just downloaded and skimmed your entire book Edgar. You're a loon.

Carry on.
Lol!

This is precisely the problem. Financially, I think you're pretty smart. But you give science a bad name by exploiting the gullibility and vulnerability of others. It is, by any regard, reprehensibly unethical.

One of the few things that any scientist has worth a damn to anyone else is their integrity. And you're selling yours for ten bucks a pop.

Good luck in your profiteering. Don't engineer anything I'm likely to use.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:14 pm

octopus1 wrote:
Winfield wrote:

Carry on.
Lol!

This is precisely the problem. Financially, I think you're pretty smart. But you give science a bad name by exploiting the gullibility and vulnerability of others. It is, by any regard, reprehensibly unethical.

One of the few things that any scientist has worth a damn to anyone else is their integrity. And you're selling yours for ten bucks a pop.

Actually the more of this {!#%@} we get the stronger it will make the process of legitimate science communication. The more of this {!#%@} we can expose, the better. (that which does not kill me...and all that)

There are numerous issues as I'm sure you are aware of with less than legitimate journals - The Journal of Cosmology, 'science' groups like The Discovery Institiute and of course 'news' agencies like Fox that are just out for publicity and attention and of course blogs and websites and self publishing. It's a real mess, but legitimate science will prevail.

(in fact I'm tempted to post links to his book on other forums but am refraining)
Last edited by kennyc on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Winfield
Poster

Postby Winfield » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:28 pm

octopus1 wrote:
Winfield wrote:

Carry on.
Lol!

Well, integrity in science will only come to any scientist who has a respectable science. Integrity and respect must be earned. If I'm wrong, they could easily smash my ideas. So that they could smash my ideas and discoveries, then, read my books.

My purpose in publishing science books is not to destroy the credibility of any scientist. My goal is to help humankind to set their goal in the right way since life is very much important to us.

Besides, science destroys bad science. That is the rule and that will be always the correct rule. That is why, scientist studies science to have a good science.

Sorry, if my science books put you in the wrong side of science. Why not change?

Winfield
Poster

Postby Winfield » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:29 pm

kennyc wrote:
octopus1 wrote:
Winfield wrote:
kennyc wrote:
(in fact I'm tempted to post links to his book on other forums but am refraining)
You are only afraid. What if I'm correct? We could help many people. Don't you like that?

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:40 pm

kennyc wrote:
octopus1 wrote:
Winfield wrote:

Carry on.
Lol!

Actually the more of this {!#%@} we get the stronger it will make the process of legitimate science communication. The more of this {!#%@} we can expose, the better. (that which does not kill me...and all that)

There are numerous issues as I'm sure you are aware of with less than legitimate journals - The Journal of Astrobiology, 'science' groups like The Discovery Institiute and of course 'news' agencies like Fox that are just out for publicity and attention and of course blogs and websites and self publishing. It's a real mess, but legitimate science will prevail.

I agree that we can "smell the earthy plop", and it's odd that he tried to sell it here. My concern is for the 'guy on the street' who might just be taken in by it.

It's pseudoscience with a price tag. Written by a scientist. That just pisses me off something awful :lol:

Winfield wrote:Well, integrity in science will only come to any scientist who has a respectable science. Integrity and respect must be earned. If I'm wrong, they could easily smash my ideas. So that they could smash my ideas and discoveries, then, read my books.

My purpose in publishing science books is not to destroy the credibility of any scientist. My goal is to help humankind to set their goal in the right way since life is very much important to us.

Besides, science destroys bad science. That is the rule and that will be always the correct rule. That is why, scientist studies science to have a good science.

Sorry, if my science books put you in the wrong side of science. Why not change?

Your purpose is to make money. Nothing wrong with that in principle, but again - It's the wrong way to go about it.

I am, as any other scientist, willing to consider some pretty "out there" ideas. Not a problem. Change is good. All I'd add is that it needs to be accurate.

Your ideas are not accurate, in this instance. Amend it, or drop it. Or continue selling stuff to people who don't know any better, at a premium. Without ever having subjected yourself to official scrutiny.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:10 am

Winfield wrote:Hi all,

How would you label this book that I've written entitled, "The New Intelligent Design <id>, Turning The Scientific World Upside Down"? I am looking for a review if possible. Thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWV41VA/ref=s9_simh_bw_p351_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0539SRP3NZ5BTD9SZH6Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1560405502&pf_rd_i=154606011

Hi Edgar Postrado. I see that you now use the sock puppet name "Mr Intelligent Design."

Why the change?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Edgar Postrado was debunked 2 years ago.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:15 am

Winfield in 2013, wrote:Yes, I am both. I was also a scholar, an engineer, a discoverer, an author and probably a future recipient of Nobel Prize since I toppled ToE too.

And here is Edgar's debunk of evolution....from his post on the Talk Origins forum.

"It seems that some unscientific persons believe that Natural Evolution of Life evolved and did happen without the guide of Personal Designer or Archi-evolutioner – and it did happen by chance. I need comments and answers to the followings: (1) When some people talked that all living things did start to evolve by chance 3.5 billion years ago, were they saying that it was happen yesterday? A span of 3.5 billion years is very long".

(So 3.5billion years just doesn't seem right for Edgar)

(2) We were told that through mutations or natural selection, one specie can transform to another specie/s. If that was correct, we can see it with our own eyes.
Say, for example an evolution of face, we can surely see either in fossilized species or in live species - faces that eyes are three, or eye is one, nose is below the mouth, or ears are in the center of the forehead, nose is in side of the face, or anything or any combination that mutation will possibly occurs. And these species are 30% or more than the population of its own kind of specie knowing that a 3.5 billion years is too long. But what WE ARE SEEING? An almost perfectly symmetrical balances of faces of almost different species either from fossilized or from alive living things. How do unscientific evolutionistsf eyes look the facts and how do their minds analyze the facts?"

(Edgar doesn't seem to understand genetics at all. )

(3) Some unscientific evolutionists said that the fittest specie will surely live longer, and evolve to another specie, how do they make a criteria for a fittest specie? How long is a long life?

The above arguments, according to Edgar, have toppled the theory of evolution.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:34 am

I think I'm actually beginning to understand Edgar's thought processes. Let me help everyone else along ...

Imagine you had a brain the size of a pea. Now, using your pea-brain, imagine the Theory of Evolution.

See - can't be done, can it?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:23 am

I can do it, why can't you?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:15 am

No you can't ...

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:07 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Desig ... Descending

Reviews of Edgar Postrado's ebook on amazon:

1. 1 star.
Reading this "book"(if you care to call it that) will leave you less intelligent than when you started.

2. 1 star.
Almost incomprehensible, written by a semi-literate buffoon

3. 5 stars.
Great book with undeniable science. Easy to read even for laymen!
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:40 pm

The 5 stars came from Edgar's Mum.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:22 pm

Fred Hoyle (British astrophysicist): "A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question." ---------------Paul Davies (British astrophysicist): "There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming". -------------John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA): "We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures.. .. If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in."

George Greenstein (astronomer): "As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?"
----------------------Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics): "Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan."---------Stephen Hawking (British astrophysicist): "Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God.----------------------Frank Tipler (Professor of Mathematical Physics): "When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." ------------Wernher von Braun (Pioneer rocket engineer) "I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science." -----------Antony Flew (Professor of Philosophy, former atheist, author, and debater) "It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design."
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:42 pm

What are you doing here spamming your usual quote salad, "gorgeous"? You still haven't tackled your assignment re your repeated claims the recent shooting deaths of Alison Parker and Adam Ward were faked.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:50 pm

Gorgeous, you can quote famous astronomers and physicists until you are blue in the face. Some of those you mention (e.g. Hoyle) were wrong about things, some (e.g. Hawking) didn't mean what you want them to mean, but none of that matters. Being an astronomer or a physicist doesn't automatically mean that said people are atheists - but as the whole thing is outside their spheres of expertise, it doesn't matter a damn. Einstein, at one time, thought that quantum theory was a load of baloney. He changed his mind but never completely accepted it. So what?

No one's opinion has anything to say about whether ID is real or not. The arguments MUST be based upon evidence and there is no evidence for ID. There IS (look around you) a lot of evidence for straightforward non-intervention evolution.

Oh - and what eggs said.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:00 pm

Evidence.... "gorgeous" doesn't know the meaning of that word, Poodle.

And another question: Why does "she" lean so heavily on those "she" considers con artists? :-P
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Because they're not actually her arguments? She just picks 'em because they look good on the sites she steals them from.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:46 pm

it does matter....evidence of design is evident to those who see it...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:38 pm

gorgeous wrote:it does matter....evidence of design is evident to those who see it...
I see. So because you are really stupid, you see really stupid evidence. That all makes sense now. :D
Gorgeous 2jpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:41 pm

gorgeous wrote:it does matter....evidence of design is evident to those who see it...

WTF!

Evidence of jelly is evident to those who see it.
Evidence of (insert anything) is evident to those who see it.

Meaningless twaddle.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:43 pm

when scientists see how intricate DNA is and works some will see an intelligence behind it for instance...

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 pm

gorgeous wrote:when scientists see how intricate DNA is and works some will see an intelligence behind it for instance...

Why? Do you think intricacy implies intelligence? Have you looked at a spider's web?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:52 pm

yes, yes

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:08 pm

gorgeous wrote:when scientists see how intricate DNA is and works some will see an intelligence behind it for instance...
Are you stuck in some sort of 1960's time loop? Have you ever read a modern newspaper? :D

The Human Genome Project Completion
https://www.genome.gov/11006943

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:20 pm

gorgeous wrote:yes, yes

So you think that spiders are intelligent?

(Ahhhh! - that's a horrible thought!)

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:29 pm

they have good instincts

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:40 pm

gorgeous wrote:they have good instincts

I thought the argument was that spiders and what they weave were Intelligently Designed? Saying "instincts" kinds leaves a gap or makes an exception? On that subject, aren't there two schools of thought? The one corrupted by reality is that God designed the Universe from the Big Bang allowing physics and evolution to work the way they do, or the more flat earth version that God designed everything the way it is by creating it 5000 years ago? Looks like you are leaning towards the science corrupted version.

Ha, ha. Intelligent Design: the Universe 99.999999999999999999999etc empty and hostile to life. The only conclusion: Intelligent Design is the opposite of efficient.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 pm

just because you don't see beings doesn't mean they aren't there...the earth and our moon were designed to support our life..our bodies are designed to correct imbalances and heal itself.....there are those who believe the moon was put there for our benefit...without it slowing the rotational winds all life on Earth couldn't exist.....------------------------“What in blazes is our Moon doing way out there? It’s too far out to be a true satellite of Earth , it is too big to have been captured by the Earth. The chances of such a capture having been effected and the Moon then having taken up a nearly circular orbit about the Earth are too small to make such an eventuality credible. . . . But, then, if the Moon is neither a true satellite of the Earth nor a captured one, what is it?” – Isaac Asimov, Asimov on Astronomy,” Doubleday, 1974; Mercury Press 1963; also quoted in Don Wilson’s book, Our Mysterious Spaceship Moon (1975)----------Isaac Asimov,
American author and professor of biochemistry at Boston University ------"The Moon is bigger than it should be, apparently older than it should be and much lighter in mass than it should be. It occupies an unlikely orbit and is so extraordinary that all existing explanations for its presence are fraught with difficulties are none of them could be considered remotely watertight."---------Dr. Gordon MacDonald,
NASA

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

gorgeous wrote:just because you don't see beings doesn't mean they aren't there

But it's a pretty good clue.

On the other hand, just because gorgeous sees things doesn't mean they are there. :mrgreen:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:03 pm

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.”
― Albert Einstein ---

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:09 pm

E = mc2. Equals. I know....hard concept.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:51 pm

"Sometimes I pretend I’m the Mayor of my kitchen and veto fish for dinner. ‘Too fishy’ is what I say!"
— Gandhi
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:00 pm

"Interdependence explores self-righteous success"
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:13 am

I found a better author of a better topic on Amazon, thought someone might enjoy it, didn't know where else to post it, so here: http://www.amazon.com/Billionaire-Dinos ... B00MCVVH6G

The author has 72 books, but I think this one is probably his best. Just check out the reviews!

Never before have I felt more satisfied with a book purchase. My life is complete. Words cannot describe the moment of clarity I experienced as soon as I finished reading this masterpiece. The tears are still flowing down my face.... -- J. Hooligan

I'm collecting items throughout my life to put into a treasure chest that I will leave for my loved ones to find National Treasure style after I complete the unnecessarily prolonged and bitter process of dying within the bleach white walls of an old folks home....A print out of "A Billionaire Dinosaur Forced Me Gay." -- Rachel [something-or-other, who really cares, amiright?]

Finally, I understand what all that science and history stuff at the Noah's Ark museum is all about. -- Amazon Customer [no, really, that's his name; honest]

Without having read it myself, I think I can say unequivocally: "This. Answers. Everything."

Nuff said.

#ANDAMOVIE

MrIntelligentDesign
Poster

Postby MrIntelligentDesign » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:13 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
gorgeous wrote:they have good instincts

I thought the argument was that spiders and what they weave were Intelligently Designed? Saying "instincts" kinds leaves a gap or makes an exception? On that subject, aren't there two schools of thought? The one corrupted by reality is that God designed the Universe from the Big Bang allowing physics and evolution to work the way they do, or the more flat earth version that God designed everything the way it is by creating it 5000 years ago? Looks like you are leaning towards the science corrupted version.

Ha, ha. Intelligent Design: the Universe 99.999999999999999999999etc empty and hostile to life. The only conclusion: Intelligent Design is the opposite of efficient.

Are you talking about the criteria of design?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:29 pm

No... the mechanism or degree of gods involvement. Ultimately, the Epicurean paradox, if not the direct recognition that god does not exist at all, or if he does, not in any way described.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Phew! A bit deep for Edgar, bobbo.

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”