I have a question about Guns, Germs, and Steel ?

Share your thoughts on the written word.
happy9zzz

I have a question about Guns, Germs, and Steel ?

Post by happy9zzz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 am

Do you think that:

Does history and culture follow different courses for different peoples because of differences among those peoples’ environments, or because of differences among those peoples themselves? In other words, is a people’s behavior determined more by beliefs and values, or more by environment?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: I have a question about Guns, Germs, and Steel ?

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am

I would have to say: "Yes." :lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: I have a question about Guns, Germs, and Steel ?

Post by fromthehills » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Gord wrote:I would have to say: "Yes." :lol:

The answer is "Yes".

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: I have a question about Guns, Germs, and Steel

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Beliefs and values, good or bad don't have that much influence on a civilization if its water runs out and its arable land turns to dust as a result of negligible or non existent rainfall.
Another argument for environmental influence is that geographic determinism does undeniably have an impact on character,on national ethos.
People in tropical climates are by and large more prone to face life and their neighbors less aggressively , less proactively than those from chillier climes.
This is reflected in almost all aspects of the human dimension in national life.....art, music, food, dress.,,,,,even sexual attitudes, and religion too...less rigid, less forbidding where there is sunshine. And light,
There are some arguments to be made for values over resources, but he who thinks they supersede environment , I.e. ,, geography and affluence will have to make them.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: I have a question about Guns, Germs, and Steel

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 pm

nmblum wrote:Beliefs and values, good or bad don't have that much influence on a civilization if its water runs out and its arable land turns to dust as a result of negligible or non existent rainfall.
Another argument for environmental influence is that geographic determinism does undeniably have an impact on character,on national ethos.
People in tropical climates are by and large more prone to face life and their neighbors less aggressively , less proactively than those from chillier climes.
This is reflected in almost all aspects of the human dimension in national life.....art, music, food, dress.,,,,,even sexual attitudes, and religion too...less rigid, less forbidding where there is sunshine. And light,
There are some arguments to be made for values over resources, but he who thinks they supersede environment , I.e. ,, geography and affluence will have to make them.

NMB

Off Topic

Someone turned the light on. How nice!

Good seeing ya!
Lard, save me from your followers.