Help in researching a book please.

Share your thoughts on the written word.
seeker36

Help in researching a book please.

Post by seeker36 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:54 am

Hello everyone,
I’m writing a book that’s a mix of zen, psychotherapuetic ideas and moral philosophy and i want to include an imaginary dialogue between a Christian, Muslim and an Atheist(An unlikely scenario I realise, it’s a thought experiment) about what each person understands the idea “God is love” to mean for them. (Please stick to your own perspectives and don't answer for the Christians/Muslims. Unless you're a skeptical/Atheist Christian/Muslim :lol: )I want to get some real world opinions and not just blindly assume I know what people from these perspectives would say. Thank you very much for your help and support,

Chris.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Re: Help in researching a book please.

Post by OutOfBreath » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Well, to the atheist (which I am for all practical purposes), "god is love" is nonsense. Love is love. Love in various dosages is what keeps societies together, and what begets offspring. It is a truly awesome feeling

But if I am to charitably view it as whether love is something beyond ourselves, something to cherish, and something that is all-important and should permeate society, then I would be quite okay with that. I just don't see why we need to call it "God" when it's really about us.

We shouldn't be too modest and attribute to god the good stuff we do. Neither should we blame on god/satan the bad stuff we do. Give thanks to the person(s) helping you, not god. I know I would be annoyed if I helped someone substantially in a crisis, and the person just bent down and praised god for delivering him from his troubles, ignoring the one that actually did.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 pm

As an atheist, I can say that "god is love" is nonsensical.

I used to be a Christian, and I was taught in religion class that god is love. So, that just meant to me that some creature named "god" could only feel love towards his subjects. That's what it used to mean to me.

I was never a Muslim.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

seeker36

Post by seeker36 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks very much for your comments. That's pretty much what i would say from a strictly atheistic point of view. There's something potentially perverse about the idea when it can(and some would say does) imply "and therefore people are not love/not up to the standard".

Chris.