Conversations With God - Neale Donald Walsch

Share your thoughts on the written word.
geology rocks

Conversations With God - Neale Donald Walsch

Postby geology rocks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 am

Conversations With God - Neale Donald Walsch....

What can I say? Ordinarily, this is a book I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but it's the monthly pick for my book club at work. I've never struggle to read a book so much in my life. My partner regularly takes it away from me because I get so riled up reading it. I'm desperately trying to read it so I can discuss (coughcriticisecough) it at the club meeting but it's proving almost impossible.

Has anyone else read it who can console me? Am I the only one so incredibly put off by this book? Have I really become that cynical? ;)
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Re: Conversations With God - Neale Donald Walsch

Postby OutOfBreath » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:53 am

Doesn't sound like a book I, or most of the other residents here, would pick up either.

What's it about, roughly? (from the title I'm guessing a man's account of prayers he've made and had answered or something)

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Postby Chachacha » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 pm

geology rocks wrote:Conversations With God - Neale Donald Walsch....

What can I say? Ordinarily, this is a book I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but it's the monthly pick for my book club at work. I've never struggle to read a book so much in my life. My partner regularly takes it away from me because I get so riled up reading it. I'm desperately trying to read it so I can discuss (coughcriticisecough) it at the club meeting but it's proving almost impossible.

Has anyone else read it who can console me? Am I the only one so incredibly put off by this book? Have I really become that cynical? ;)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I just spent more time than I want to admit answering this, clicked on the wrong button, and lost it.

Try again.

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I enjoy your moniker and your posts. :)

Some suggestions:

- Accept that it is what it is and stop expecting it to be different.

- Don't be annoyed that the writer thinks as he does, and don't expect the writer to give up his beliefs.

- Judgments and expectations create agitation and stress and fuel discontentment and irritability.

- Don't take it seriously. The writer is dead serious, but that doesn't mean you have to be.

- Stop questioning and challenging.
You don't keep asking someone with Alzheimers what year it is. You don't demand that a mute person speak to you, or a cripple person dance. You don't spend hours arguing with a drunk. You don't ask your dog why he ate your sandwich and expect him to think about it, then answer you with something besides, "Because it was there."

- View it as an interesting oddity.

- Understand it.
"I can understand that it feels good to believe God punishes wrongs and rewards good."
"Of course they believe that God answers prayers, they like feeling that they can influence things which they cannot. It lessens feelings of helplessness. "

- Look at it in the context of how or why it originated.
Humans have become what they are by observing, trying to figure things out, and making up answers. Our survival depended/depends on connecting the dots and filling in the missing pieces. Believing that the clouds grow dark when the spirits are angry, so it's best to hide in a cave; and when the spirits are angry, they can make a tree burst into flames, so it's best not to go near trees when the clouds are dark, saved a lot of lives.

- Read it like it's a work of fiction, and appreciate the imagery and the creativity.

Good luck! :wave:

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:17 pm

My partner regularly takes it away from me because I get so riled up reading it. I'm desperately trying to read it so I can discuss (coughcriticisecough) it at the club meeting but it's proving almost impossible.

Chop firewood while someone reads it to you, imagining that the wood is the author's head. Works for me. :mrgreen:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Chachacha wrote:
- Read it like it's a work of fiction, and appreciate the imagery and the creativity.

Gonna agree with that one. Read it like someone who believes in Zeus wrote it. Think of it as "applied myth". Something like that.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:34 pm

What can I say? Ordinarily, this is a book I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but it's the monthly pick for my book club at work.

This is at work? Is my boss in this "club"? My first question might be, is there any possible way this could blow up in my face if I criticize this book in this setting? And then I would call in sick that day and try to avoid talking about this month's book selection. But that's just me.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 am

I was terrible at this sort of thing in high school anyway, so I'd probably just look through it for spelling mistakes and then critique them.

...also, maybe I should stop posting in discussions where I know I won't help. :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 am

I think it's mis-titled. It should be "Monologue with Nuts".
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

geology rocks

Postby geology rocks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:41 am

OutOfBreath wrote:Doesn't sound like a book I, or most of the other residents here, would pick up either.

What's it about, roughly? (from the title I'm guessing a man's account of prayers he've made and had answered or something)

Peace
Dan

No, me neither. I was reading The Believing Brain by Michael Shermer before this month's book club selection!

It's basically about a man who is angry at life and writes an angry letter to 'God'. God answers this letter (through some kind of remote writing) and so begins to dialogue.

Chachacha wrote:Don't take it seriously. The writer is dead serious, but that doesn't mean you have to be.

Thanks for the advice, Chachacha. You made some great points and they've helped me detest the idea of picking the book up again today just a little less! :wink:

I think I'm going to have to write this on a post-it and stick it on my kindle as I read!

xouper wrote:This is at work? Is my boss in this "club"? My first question might be, is there any possible way this could blow up in my face if I criticize this book in this setting? And then I would call in sick that day and try to avoid talking about this month's book selection. But that's just me.

I'm not worried about my negative views of the book affecting my work life. I work on a mine site in the Pilbara desert and book club is one of the few non-sport social activities we have on site. The club has a very diverse membership and we often disagree on books! It's all very good natured (probably helped by the large quantities of wine we consume!). One my subordinates is one of the books biggest fans. She can get pretty defensive of her beliefs but I generally know how to phrase my disagreements so as to cause as little offence as possible.

Major Malfunction wrote:I think it's mis-titled. It should be "Monologue with Nuts".

:lol: I think I might have to hack the club poster with that one!

I find the whole idea of such a religious book an incredibly strange choice for book club. I can only imagine the uproar if I picked a science/atheist themed book for me choice. :glare:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 am

geology rocks wrote:I can only imagine the uproar if I picked a science/atheist themed book for me choice.

The Demon Haunted World, Carl Sagan. Easy, entertaining, and enlightening read. It's only fair! :dv:
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

geology rocks

Postby geology rocks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
geology rocks wrote:I can only imagine the uproar if I picked a science/atheist themed book for me choice.

The Demon Haunted World, Carl Sagan. Easy, entertaining, and enlightening read. It's only fair! :dv:

Indeed. In the name of balance :wink:

seeker36

Postby seeker36 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,
I was wondering, has anyone here actually read the book? I have and while i do not agree with everything the author says, i find myself in broard agreement with his ideas. It seems rather dogmatic to me to rush into dissmissing anything vaguely religious, just becuase it is religious. Are we not supposed to be skeptics? About everything?

Chris.

Blacksamwell
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Buckfutter

Postby Blacksamwell » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:48 pm

seeker36 wrote:Hi,
I was wondering, has anyone here actually read the book? I have and while i do not agree with everything the author says, i find myself in broard agreement with his ideas. It seems rather dogmatic to me to rush into dissmissing anything vaguely religious, just becuase it is religious. Are we not supposed to be skeptics? About everything?

Chris.

You agree with the idea that a magic sky fairy would communicate with a writer via ESP?

Generally the folks that frequent this forum are skeptical of anything that's not supported with evidence. Magic is one of those things unsupported by evidence. Is religon not a belief in magic and/or magical beings?

seeker36

Postby seeker36 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello Blacksamwell,

You agree with the idea that a magic sky fairy would communicate with a writer via ESP?

So you haven't read the book either then? Walsch's conception of god is more like pantheism or a star wars like force. And i wouldn't see it as "spirit communication". To me it's more of a philosophical work that uses religious language and metaphor. It's true that walsch believes in the supernatural, but it can also be read as a pyschological,cultural and philosophical work.

seeker36

Postby seeker36 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Hello again Blacksamwell and the others the posted on this thread,

I'm sorry, i've slipped into a frame of mind where i'm wanting to bully people into seeing things my way. I get annoyed when people assume they know what something is about and they have obvious just heard the word "god" and understandably assumed the worst. And i'm rather fond of walsch's work so i took it a bit personally.

Chris.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:26 pm

seeker36 wrote:. . . I'm sorry, i've slipped into a frame of mind where i'm wanting to bully people into seeing things my way. I get annoyed when people assume they know what something is about and they have obvious just heard the word "god" and understandably assumed the worst. And i'm rather fond of walsch's work so i took it a bit personally.

That's refreshingly honest.

I too had dismissed the books for much the same reasons Sam has done. But I'm willing to reconsider, so I decided to look into it further:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversations_with_God

It sounds more like New Age than it does traditional Christianity. I don't have much interest in Christianity, but I do have a weird fascination with certain aspects of New Age stuff. Maybe I will put the first book on my list to read.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:50 pm

If you do read it, xouper, I would be interested to hear a Skeptic's opinion of it.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:49 am

Hello everyone!

I have read almost all the books of Neale Donald Walsch and I am fond of them.
Walsch presents a God that is in no way similar to the christian or muslem God.

I think that Walsch is refreshing for most religious people, because of the absence of judgement.
The God of Walsch does not judge people, neither does this God needs anything from people. It is sufficient that 'we are'.

It is not a segregated god in the skies, God is the expression of life and experiences herself through life.
The books speak of divine individualities.

Indeed the God of Walsch is more like pantheism.

It's a bit difficult to express myself in english, not used to that, I'm from the Netherlands. If anything is not clear, just say so.

Repent

Postby Repent » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:17 am

I'm new here. (First post)

However, I always like reading the skeptical inquirer at the local library and I own a copy of the skeptics dictionarary.

I haven't read all the books; Neale Donald Walsh has written over 20 of them. For the original poster who can't read the books, they have narrated audio books on youtube; for his book 'conversations with God':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1nAQpusLg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 09Z8CUaq7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CxeH9U#t=1

Caution these three video links represent about 20 hours of listening time.

Having invested some time with this presentation; Neale Donald Walsh presents himself as a skeptic of all religions. His most salient point came from a critic who publically confronted him and asked 'How dare you say you know the will of God'. He had an excellent reply saying, to paraphase; everyone thinks they know what God wants, that's why they read the Bible, or the Koran, or other religious writings. That's why they go to church to hear the pastor speak about what God wants them to do. No one ever asks the question though- what if their wrong?

I'm on the fence with this guy. He's intellegent, well read, very cogent. If he's a snake oil sales person, he's the best one on the block, if not it's interesting to hear what God wants from us. In his own words, what God wants is 'Nothing at all'

Nothing at all comes with profound implications. All the moral teachings of established religions are wrong, the whole of spirituality must be reexamined by this insight, and we must begin again in our evolution as a species. I'm currently reading his book, 'Conversations with humanity', where he essentially debunks all established religions. He would likely fit in well as a member at this website.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Repent wrote:I'm new here. (First post)

Hi. :wave:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:51 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

ditto

(post count = post count + 1)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:52 am

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

ditto

More efficient:

postcount++;

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:55 am

Gord wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

ditto

I read the second post first, then hunted him down. :twisted:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:17 am

Kaepora Gaebora wrote:
Gord wrote:(post count = post count + 1)

More efficient:

postcount++;

I don't know that language, what is it? C++?
#ANDAMOVIE

Kaepora Gaebora
Regular Poster

Postby Kaepora Gaebora » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:33 am

Gord wrote:
Kaepora Gaebora wrote:
Gord wrote:(post count = post count + 1)

More efficient:

postcount++;

I don't know that language, what is it? C++?

That's uh... a lot of languages. C/C++, Java, D, .NET (aka Mono), Perl, Ruby, etc. The only high-level language that doesn't do it that I know of is Python because of it's programming philosophy (only should be one way of doing things).

Also, I'm pursuing a CS degree if you haven't noticed. 8-)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:03 am

I took six years of computer science at university. (...actually I only took one year -- but I took it six times!)

We used mainframes back then. Ours had its very own language called MAX. It was NOT this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_(software)
#ANDAMOVIE

Charles Wild

Postby Charles Wild » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:02 pm

Neale Donald Walsch has a short segment in the 2006 film - The Secret (about the law of attraction). Walsch believes that a person's mission in life is simply the one a person chooses; a person has no divine mission from a God in the sky (along the lines of a mission statement written on a blackboard).

God today (2014) is defined differerently by different people.

X-ref:

Abraham-Hicks / co-creation
New Thought - modern metaphysics - Charles and Myrtle Fillmore / co-creation
Bob Proctor / self-motivation
James Allen / As a Man Thinketh

etc.

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”