The Demon Haunted World by Sagan

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Monster
Perpetual Poster

The Demon Haunted World by Sagan

Postby Monster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm reading The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. While excellent, it reads as if it's a 500 page long issue of Skeptic Magazine. Maybe if I read The Demon Haunted World before I ever picked up Skeptic Magazine, it would have been more remarkable.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: The Demon Haunted World by Sagan

Postby JO 753 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:43 am

I'm about haf way thru it.

So far its all about equating UFOz with past superstitionz. He makes a strong case, but there are a few areaz where he strainz the theory.

Therez lots uv interesting info and he wuz a good riter. I'll argue sum points after I'v finished.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:43 pm

This was all fairly new when he wrote it, and it echoes to this day.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

This sounds like a good read!
What kind of topics does he examine aside from good-old demons?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:51 pm

All sorts uv fun stuf! Alien abduction, hypnotic memory retrieval, witch hunts, Project Blue Book, science history.... Then therez alot uv personal info relating to hiz outlook on science vs superstition.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:54 pm

PennyDotson wrote:This sounds like a good read!
What kind of topics does he examine aside from good-old demons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:33 pm

JO 753 wrote:All sorts uv fun stuf! Alien abduction, hypnotic memory retrieval, witch hunts, Project Blue Book, science history.... Then therez alot uv personal info relating to hiz outlook on science vs superstition.

Thanks for the info, JO!

As if abductions and witch hunts aren't interesting on their own, Carl Sagan must have given it even more flavor. I could imagine his input would be eye-opening to read with his background in science and what not.

Now if only Neil Degrasse Tyson would write a book about the Bermuda Triangle.. :mrgreen:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am

Finally finisht.

Good book.

A few impressionz and comments:

He makes a big effort to equate UFOz with fairyz and other oldy-time myths, basicly attributing it to misperseption, halusination, mass delusion and false memoryz, bringing the full arsenal uv skeptical thot to bear. Yet after breifly mentioning hiz involvment with investigating Project Blue Book and its real mission, he never bringz up the obvious implication that a cover-up wuz being conducted. (or I may not be recalling a brief mention, but he continuez the 'modern fairy' theme later anyway)

Alot uv the book iz about praizing and promoting the scientific method. Nothing rong with that. I think WAY more scientists shoud be out there extolling the virtuez and benifits to sivilization. In fact, I believ scientific community iz failing mizurably on all fronts uv the public relationz war with relijun, superstition and jeneral ignorans. Sagan sez az much also in several passajez.

A segjestion: If you want the public to take you more seriously, CHANJE THE NAME to SiINS! Or at least drop the superflous C! Demanding that your field uv endevour hav a lojikly spelt name woud be just the bold move to shake off the eazily pushed around bunch uv nerdz imaj that lets every pin hed priest, politician & selebrity walk all over you.

Seriously, I'm not just pushing Nooalf agen. The forming mindz uv little kidz are where the real battleground iz. Wuns sumwun gets to 15, 20 yirz old, its usually too late. The sement haz set. Starting them off with 'Wuts the C there for, Miss Crabapple?' 'Its just there. Shut up and dont question it.' iz setting them up az eazy pickingz for the woo crowd.

Interesting note on a current hot topic. He talks about gun control near the end sumwer. He had shooting insident stats for Seattle and Vancouver, noting the wide gap. That wuz for sum resent year befor the book wuz published in the mid 90z. I dont want to drag that debate here, so I'll post sumthing in the 2nd Amendment topic.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Best book ever!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Carl Sagan---"Intelligent Life in the Universe"----he wrote---------"Sumer was...perhaps the first civilization...on the planet Earth....We do not know where the Sumerians came from.....the legend suggests that contact occurred between human beings and a non-human civilization of immense powers "----------------------Sagan believed in aliens and knew the moon was hollow and fake....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 pm

JO 753 wrote:A segjestion: If you want the public to take you more seriously, CHANJE THE NAME to SiINS! Or at least drop the superflous C! Demanding that your field uv endevour hav a lojikly spelt name woud be just the bold move to shake off the eazily pushed around bunch uv nerdz imaj that lets every pin hed priest, politician & selebrity walk all over you.

Seriously, I'm not just pushing Nooalf agen. The forming mindz uv little kidz are where the real battleground iz. Wuns sumwun gets to 15, 20 yirz old, its usually too late. The sement haz set. Starting them off with 'Wuts the C there for, Miss Crabapple?' 'Its just there. Shut up and dont question it.' iz setting them up az eazy pickingz for the woo crowd.

Gorgeous here might present some good evidence for your hypothesis, but I think it just means Miss Crabapple needs more scientia. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:25 pm

kennyc wrote:Best book ever!

Haven't noticed your name on the board in ages.

gorgeous wrote:Carl Sagan---"Intelligent Life in the Universe"----he wrote---------"Sumer was...perhaps the first civilization...on the planet Earth....We do not know where the Sumerians came from.....the legend suggests that contact occurred between human beings and a non-human civilization of immense powers "----------------------Sagan believed in aliens and knew the moon was hollow and fake....

Ok, now that is just insulting. You just made that up out of thin air. You expect me to believe that Sagan believes that Sumer received aid from non-humans? That is just insultingly stupid.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:35 pm

no....from his book...------------wiki----In their 1966 book Intelligent Life in the Universe,[20] astrophysicists I.S. Shklovski and Carl Sagan devote a chapter[21] to arguments that scientists and historians should seriously consider the possibility that extraterrestrial contact occurred during recorded history. --------------Shklovski and Sagan argued that sub-lightspeed interstellar travel by extraterrestrial life was a certainty when considering technologies that were established or feasible in the late '60s;[22] that repeated instances of extraterrestrial visitation to Earth were plausible;[23] and that pre-scientific narratives can offer a potentially reliable means of describing contact with alien.

Sagan illustrates this hypothesis by citing the 1786 expedition of French explorer Jean-François de Galaup, comte de La Pérouse, which made the earliest first contact between European and Tlingit cultures. The contact story was preserved as an oral tradition by the preliterate Tlingit. Over a century after its occurrence it was then recorded by anthropologist George T. Emmons. Although it is framed in a Tlingit cultural and spiritual paradigm, the story remained an accurate telling of the 1786 encounter. According to Sagan, this proved how "under certain circumstances, a brief contact with an alien civilization will be recorded in a re-constructible manner. He further states that the reconstruction will be greatly aided if 1) the account is committed to written record soon after the event; 2) a major change is effected in the contacted society; and 3) no attempt is made by the contacting civilization to disguise its exogenous nature."[24]
-------------Additionally, Shklovski and Sagan cited tales of Oannes, a fishlike being attributed with teaching agriculture, mathematics, and the arts to early Sumerians, as deserving closer scrutiny as a possible instance of paleocontact due to its consistency and detail.[25]

In his 1979 book Broca's Brain, Sagan[26] suggested that he and Shklovski might have inspired the wave of '70s ancient astronaut books, expressing disapproval of "von Däniken and other uncritical writers" who seemingly built on these ideas not as guarded speculations but as "valid evidence of extraterrestrial contact." Sagan argued that while many legends, artifacts, and purported out-of-place artifacts were cited in support of ancient astronaut hypotheses, "very few require more than passing mention" and could be easily explained with more conventional hypotheses.
-------.also---------Robert K. G. Temple's 1976 book, The Sirius Mystery argues that the Dogon people of northwestern Mali preserved an account of extraterrestrial visitation from around 5,000 years ago. He quotes various lines of evidence, including supposed advanced astronomical knowledge inherited by the tribe, descriptions, and comparative belief systems with ancient civilizations such as ancient Egypt and Sumer. His work draws heavily on the studies of cultural anthropologists Marcel Griaule and Germaine Dieterlen.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:42 pm

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Gorgeous, you really, REALLY, should read the stuff you use as evidence before you post it. Here's what you posted (and the ref. no. in brackets indicates that you simply cut-and-pasted it). This is Sagan telling you that your idea of the way the universe works is way up the spout. I've tried to help you along with a bit of emphasis.

"In his 1979 book Broca's Brain, Sagan[26] suggested that he and Shklovski might have inspired the wave of '70s ancient astronaut books, expressing disapproval of "von Däniken and other uncritical writers" who seemingly built on these ideas not as guarded speculations but as "valid evidence of extraterrestrial contact." Sagan argued that while many legends, artifacts, and purported out-of-place artifacts were cited in support of ancient astronaut hypotheses, "very few require more than passing mention" and could be easily explained with more conventional hypotheses."

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:03 pm

doesn't matter.....he believed in aliens....he said scientists needed to take their involvement seriously....

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:12 pm

gorgeous wrote:doesn't matter.....he believed in aliens....he said scientists needed to take their involvement seriously....

Sagan believed (as do a lot of people) that in a universe of this size, it is inconceivable that there are no other worlds harbouring intelligent life. You obviously believe that too. Where you and Sagan differ is in your belief that they are here and that they are actively interfering in our daily lives. You can look (go on - I dare you) through every non-fictional word written by Carl Sagan and you will not find a word of agreement with your belief.

NOT A SINGLE WORD.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Shklovski and Sagan argued that sub-lightspeed interstellar travel by extraterrestrial life was a certainty when considering technologies that were established or feasible in the late '60s;[22] that repeated instances of extraterrestrial visitation to Earth were plausible;[23] and that pre-scientific narratives can offer a potentially reliable means of describing contact with alien.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:27 pm

since we have not encountered any type of von Neumann probes so far, I guess it's safe to say that no galaxy-reaching civilization has existed in the last couple of million years.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:32 pm

"Need To Know" by Timothy Good--------------Roswell excerpts--From a witness who drove Senator Montoya to the hanger ----"There were two bodies covered with a white sheet but they were too small to be a man's body.....and then one was uncovered...he was moving.----Montoya was in such a state that he drank about two thirds of a bottle of Jim Beam bourbon.-----------------------Initial autopsies of the alien bodies were carried out at Roswell Army Air Field. " ---------------------------"Wernher von Braun ( had worked at White Sands Proving Ground in New Mexico) was asked what he knew about Roswell. ---"...he told....the craft did not appear to be made ...from metal from Earth......He said it seemed to be made from something biological, like skin. ---His inspection of the debris even puzzled him....Very light and extremely strong."

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:51 am

gorgeous wrote:Shklovski and Sagan argued that sub-lightspeed interstellar travel by extraterrestrial life was a certainty when considering technologies that were established or feasible in the late '60s;[22] that repeated instances of extraterrestrial visitation to Earth were plausible;[23] and that pre-scientific narratives can offer a potentially reliable means of describing contact with alien.

Here's your source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_as ... _and_Sagan

Here's how it ends:

In his 1979 book Broca's Brain, Sagan[26] suggested that he and Shklovski might have inspired the wave of '70s ancient astronaut books, expressing disapproval of "von Däniken and other uncritical writers" who seemingly built on these ideas not as guarded speculations but as "valid evidence of extraterrestrial contact." Sagan argued that while many legends, artifacts, and purported out-of-place artifacts were cited in support of ancient astronaut hypotheses, "very few require more than passing mention" and could be easily explained with more conventional hypotheses. Sagan also reiterated his earlier conclusion that extraterrestrial visits to Earth were possible but unproven, and improbable.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:06 am

Wait for it... this is gonna come next:
<image removed> See Gord's post.

Alas...
http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/salamanca.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrote:...Unfortunately for Chariot buffs, however, the origins of the carving are neither ancient nor mysterious. The astronaut figure dates not from the 12th century or the 16th century or even the 18th century, but from 1992, and we know both who put it there and why: The New Cathedral was undergoing restoration work during that period, and one of the artisans engaged in the project chose to engage in a bit of tradition by "signing" his work with a contemporary symbol representative of the 20th century: an astronaut...

And it seems rather a new stone, imho.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Fri May 22, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:10 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Wait for it... this is gonna come next:

Snopes doesn't allow posting their images like that. Instead, you can download the image to your hard drive, and then attach it to your post...like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:12 am

Oops, thanks... I'll edit it out. :bq:

letsbefriends

Postby letsbefriends » Fri May 22, 2015 9:32 am

Favourite two quotes from Demon Haunted World, in terms of how much they made me think:

On Zeitgeist:
An extraterrestrial being, newly arrived on earth – scrutinizing what we mainly present to our children on television and radio and in movies, newspapers, magazines, comics and many books might easily conclude that we are intent on teaching them murder, rape, cruelty, superstition, credulity and consumerism. We keep at it, and through constant repetition many of them finally get it. What kind of society could we create if, instead, we drummed into them science and a sense of hope?

On Funding Science (and how some of the biggest developments we know have been mistakes generated by curiosity):
Maxwell wasn't thinking of radio, radar and television when he first scratched out the fundamental equations of electromagnetism; Newton wasn't dreaming of space flight or communications satellites when he first understood the motion of the Moon; Roentgen wasn't contemplating medical diagnosis when he investigated a penetrating radiation so mysterious he called it 'X-rays'; Curie wasn't thinking of cancer therapy when she painstakingly extracted minute amounts of radium from tons of pitchblende; Fleming wasn't planning on saving the lives of millions with antibiotics when he noticed a circle free of bacteria around a growth of mould; Watson and Crick weren't imagining the cure of genetic diseases when they puzzled over the X-ray diffractometry of DNA; Rowland and Molina weren't planning to implicate CFCs in ozone depletion when they began studying the role of halogens in stratospheric photochemistry.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 23, 2015 2:36 pm

see^^^? ...drum into them science....science is the savior of mankind...tell me again how science is not a religion...

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat May 23, 2015 2:48 pm

For crying out loud, gorgeous - letsbefriends' post isn't all that long. How do you manage to read it completely wrongly? DO you have problems with your attention span, or do you just look for key words?

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat May 23, 2015 3:10 pm

gorgeous wrote:see^^^? ...drum into them science....science is the savior of mankind...tell me again how science is not a religion...

Ok. Science is not a religion.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Poodle wrote:For crying out loud, gorgeous - letsbefriends' post isn't all that long. How do you manage to read it completely wrongly? DO you have problems with your attention span, or do you just look for key words?

------------------ :lol: ....it is what scientists think (Sagan and others)....that science will save the world and human race....

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Monster wrote:
gorgeous wrote:see^^^? ...drum into them science....science is the savior of mankind...tell me again how science is not a religion...

--------------see my post on the science and religion thread...a scientist listed 10 reasons why science is a religion...

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat May 23, 2015 4:39 pm

You may find this hard to believe, but I have no idea where that is. Link?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 23, 2015 4:50 pm

don't know how to link---------listverse---Top 10 Reasons Science Is Another Religion---------"As a Biologist with a PhD in Neurosciences, I’m well aware that this is a controversial subject for both scientists and religious people alike. Scientists consider it ridiculous even to entertain the notion that science, a human achievement built on logic and reason, could possibly have anything in common with religious myths. The faithful, on the other hand, are reluctant to warm up to the idea that Science, a human creation, could be compared to divine religion."------------Top 10 Reasons Science Is Another Religion---------10---Science Thinks Humans are Special--------It is understandable that religion might place man in the center of the universe – but for science to do so is inexcusable. However, a great number of astrophysicists and cosmologists are eager to talk about how the universe conforms to the “anthropic principle”.

There is absolutely no scientific reason why human understanding – above that of slugs, dolphins and monkeys – should be wide enough to encompass the universe. Anthropocentrism – the assumption that humans take center-stage in the universe – is rife in the sciences, as it is in religion.
-------------------9---It Casts Out Heretics and Persecutes all Other Religions------Science, like God in the Old Testament, behaves jealously against any other religion. So science will say to its followers: “You shall have no other gods before me”.

If you have any doubts, try asking an audience at a scientific convention to join you in a prayer. From that moment on you’ll be called a theist-scientist. A heretic. A miasma. An abomination. Just look up how Kurt Gödel was viewed at Princeton after circulating his ontological proof of God.
--------8--Science Reveres Its Own Saints------The ranks of science martyrdom may be thin, yet its members are revered as far greater scientists they actually were. Take Galileo Galilei, for example, the patron saint of all scientists persecuted by religious orders. He actually contributed very little to science: most of his achievements were technical, such as tampering with telescopes. Heliocentricity was known since the 4th century BC.-------------7--Science Makes up Stories to Explain Our Origins------ Now, of course, we have science to explain our origins.

You know what its latest version of this story is? In the beginning, there were giant membranes. These membranes touched each other, triggering something called the “Big Bang”. Sure.
-----------------6--Science Has Its Own Code of Ethics-------There are state laws, and there are moral laws. And now, according to science, there are “laws of scientific conduct”. All kinds of atrocities are committed in the name of science – take a doctor, for example, who has to give placebo pills to a number of his patients in a drug trial, knowing that they will suffer or die much sooner than if they had received proper treatment.

But scientific advancement almost always claims precedence over personal morality. And – unless you’re a zealot yourself – its ethics will clash with your personal code of conduct.
---------------------5---Science Has Its Own Priesthood------Newton, Darwin and Einstein serve as the holy trinity of western science. And below these are the elders: Watson, Crick, Dawkins, Hawking, Dennet, Chomsky, Penrose and Sagan. And then you have the High Priests: the Nobel Prize winners, the popular writers and the media celebrities.

Their opinions are received as sermons, and their statements are quoted like sacred texts. Ordinary people are ridiculed, if they doubt the interpretations of this priesthood. Even for scientists, questioning a member of a higher tier is done only at your own risk. After all, all scientific work (from papers to grant applications) is peer reviewed, remember?
-----------------------4----Science is Based on Established Dogmas-----Ever wonder how for centuries, the best doctors could insist on blood-letting as a cure – without ever noticing that their patients did worse? The answer: belief in blood-letting was part of the scientific dogma at the time.

Anything contradicting this dogma is simply rejected and ignored, or ridiculed for as long as possible. Science thus has the trappings of a full blown religion.
----------------------3--Science Will Bend to Accommodate Modern Trends------If you think scientists are immune to the pressure to conform to public opinion – think again. I am not even going to consider the announcements made by scientists under totalitarian regimes (such as racist “conclusions”), because I consider these to be forced aberrations.

Instead I will use the scientific approach to homosexuality. It was included in the list of personality disorders of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder (DSM) up to its 1973 edition. It was then removed – only to be replaced a year later by a close variant, before being removed entirely in 1986. Upon what evidence rested the changing decisions to include or exclude homosexuality among mental disorders? Public sentiment, backed by convenient “empirical evidence”, played a leading role.
----------------------------2---Most of Science is Unfounded-------Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Quantum Strings and Ego – all of them sound like plausible stories. But can anyone point out the Ego locus in a dissected brain? Or use the concept of Dark Energy for anything besides helping to explain the expanding universe – another scientific theory? There is no actual proof for any of these theories.

That’s right – we have no proof for the existence of 96% of what science thinks the universe is made of – and yet the theories explaining it (we call them theories to avoid calling them stories) we hold to be true. Why? you ask. Because we have faith – which brings me to my final point.
----------------------1----Science Requires Faith------Even highly-specialized scientists will often pursue a certain line of thought, and explore the implications of certain theory while rejecting others, based on nothing more than intuitive preferences, and their sense of what is elegant and right.

Most people who reject the religion they once accepted will claim to have done so in favor of the reasonable, clear-cut answers provided by logic and science. When asked to explain the existence of the universe, they’ll mention the Big Bang and M Theories; when asked to explain the existence of humans, they’ll mention evolution.

When pressed to explain any of the above, however, they soon realize that they actually understand very little. They were exhibiting blind faith – accepting the theories without comprehending them. If you don’t understand something, yet accept it as the truth, then you’re simply a Believer – and like much of science, you’ll find yourself well within the territory of religion.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Sat May 23, 2015 6:07 pm

A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat May 23, 2015 6:11 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Monster wrote:

--------------see my post on the science and religion thread...a scientist listed 10 reasons why science is a religion...

Every once in a while, someone writes something that is unsound. That's what that guy did. The guy who wrote the 10 reasons, I mean.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 23, 2015 6:19 pm

it's very accurate...some scientists are honest....

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat May 23, 2015 7:28 pm

It is not accurate at all. It is a hotch-potch of pseudoscience and assumption put together by someone with not the slightest inkling of what science is or what science does or where science may take us. It is a blatant attempt by an ignoramus to put science into the same category as religion, and the only way to do that is to make things up (scientists have been known to call that "lying"). It's the same technique, in fact, which you have used all over the place in this very forum.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat May 23, 2015 7:58 pm

he is a scientist

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat May 23, 2015 9:03 pm

gorgeous wrote:he is a scientist

My comment stands. He claims to be a biologist, and then goes on to make sweeping statements about medicine, astronomy and physics. In those fields he is a layman, so I tend to wonder about the reason behind his statement of qualification ("Look at me, I'm a scientist"). He seems to know all about M theory, doesn't he? (That's a no).

Above all else, he's a God-botherer.

Oh - I'm a 6ft 4 inch hunk of a sex-god and have £10,000,000 in the bank. I have 24 Ph.D's in (fill in the blank here) and a dog. That makes me an expert.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Poodle wrote:You may find this hard to believe, but I have no idea where that is. Link?

Apparently the Listverse thing was compiled by someone who calls him/herself Cortical Rider (an ophthalmological term) and claims to be "a Biologist with a PhD in Neurosciences" without showing any evidence of that?

And perhaps anything they could/would show would be attending Oral Roberts, or Liberty, lol. Or, hey, Bastyr!

ETA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastyr_Uni ... h_programs wrote:The Clinical Research Center conducts integrative neurology research seeking to apply naturopathic principles of health to the central nervous system. Neurology researchers place an emphasis on translational medicine.[citation needed]

That last sentence is a bit general, is it not?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 pm

You rote
There is no ultimate solution, but a path can be built a path out of it.

I know! Hard to get proofreaderz theze dayz!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”