What book are you reading?

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What book are you reading?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:48 am

Hercules is much more entertaining.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:40 am

Gord wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:...Stephen King with a literary degree meets Asimov or something.

"Or something." :lol: I laughed coffee out my nose.

Just read, "The Coffeehouse Investor" - no laughing matter! :mrgreen:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm

I just finished, 'Among The Truthers' by Jonathan Kay. It's pretty good, and very well written, but I found the author's ideological position a little labored in regards to left-right politics. Where he focuses solely on the issue of conspiracism however, the book shines as an introduction to the subject.

I needed something after re-reading The Wheel of Time series, to get in the last book, 'A Memory of Light'... so good. Brandon Sanderson really honored the memory of Robert Jordan, and served faithful readers well.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Postby angawawa » Wed May 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Daedalus wrote:I just finished, 'Among The Truthers' by Jonathan Kay. It's pretty good, and very well written, but I found the author's ideological position a little labored in regards to left-right politics. Where he focuses solely on the issue of conspiracism however, the book shines as an introduction to the subject.

I needed something after re-reading The Wheel of Time series, to get in the last book, 'A Memory of Light'... so good. Brandon Sanderson really honored the memory of Robert Jordan, and served faithful readers well.

I have been reading the WoT series since about 1997. I have read the entire thing through 2 1/2 times, most recently to get ready for the last book. I have not purchased it yet, because it has been a part of my life for so long, I don't want to see it end. I have the other books by Sanderson, and I agree he did a terrific job. My friends and I often joke about the weightiness of the novels, the page-after-page descriptions of dresses and fashion, but I LIKED that. And Sanderson kept that up and I was very please with his work. At some point in the next few months I will finally get to the point where I can go buy the book without crying, but I will probably cry when I'm done reading it. But then, I cried when my old, funky WalMart shut down to make way for the new, super WalMart.

I am currently reading "The Hooked X - The Secret History of North America" by Scott F. Wolter, which is primarily about the Kensington rune stone and other stones found around north america which were supposedly left by Scandinavian explorers. I know this topic has come up before here in the forums, but it seems very plausible to me so far, and I don't think the stones are fake.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 pm

angawawa wrote:
Daedalus wrote:I just finished, 'Among The Truthers' by Jonathan Kay. It's pretty good, and very well written, but I found the author's ideological position a little labored in regards to left-right politics. Where he focuses solely on the issue of conspiracism however, the book shines as an introduction to the subject.

I have been reading the WoT series since about 1997. I have read the entire thing through 2 1/2 times, most recently to get ready for the last book. I have not purchased it yet, because it has been a part of my life for so long, I don't want to see it end. I have the other books by Sanderson, and I agree he did a terrific job. My friends and I often joke about the weightiness of the novels, the page-after-page descriptions of dresses and fashion, but I LIKED that. And Sanderson kept that up and I was very please with his work. At some point in the next few months I will finally get to the point where I can go buy the book without crying, but I will probably cry when I'm done reading it. But then, I cried when my old, funky WalMart shut down to make way for the new, super WalMart.

I know exactly what you mean... it's just something you can LIVE in for a while. Like you, I love the granular description of the clothing, the food, the architecture and people... to me it's a living world I visit now and again. Like you, it's tough to see it end, but I'll just say it's a fitting end for people like us who spent so much time there.

I cried too, but it was a good cry.
Last edited by Daedalus on Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Postby Hex » Wed May 08, 2013 7:59 pm

In my quest to find a decent zombie book (It is much harder than you think.) I'm reading; Life as we knew It. It already has a couple of strikes against it. It feels as though it was written with teens in mind, but tries to stretch it to adults, where I imagine it failed on both accounts. It also uses brackets a lot. I don't mind a few brackets here and there but there is probably brackets every second page.

For you writers out there, Do not use brackets as a crutch. It is very jarring to the story you're trying to tell.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Postby angawawa » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Hex wrote:In my quest to find a decent zombie book (It is much harder than you think.) I'm reading; Life as we knew It. It already has a couple of strikes against it. It feels as though it was written with teens in mind, but tries to stretch it to adults, where I imagine it failed on both accounts. It also uses brackets a lot. I don't mind a few brackets here and there but there is probably brackets every second page.

For you writers out there, Do not use brackets as a crutch. It is very jarring to the story you're trying to tell.

I just read "The Zombie Wilson Diaries" and I really liked it. It was a humorous take on the whole genre. But I agree, it's hard to find good zombie fiction, everybody and their mother is trying to jump on the Zombie bandwagon.

I have also recently started a new set of mysteries by Spencer Quinn, written from the point of view of a PI's dog, and they are a lot of fun.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

Swedgen

Postby Swedgen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:15 am

jthorndyke wrote:Just finished reading Dan Barter's "godless" and before that Bart Ehrmann's "Misquoting Jesus"; and before that, Christopher Hitchen's "the Portable Atheist".
And yes...I do have questions. One might be this: "if jesus didn't even exist, for what reason, by what motivation, by what method, did the christian "religion" begin?
I can't quite get a handle on it!

To control the ignorant. And keep them ignorant. That's normally good enough.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 am

Swedgen wrote:
jthorndyke wrote:Just finished reading Dan Barter's "godless" and before that Bart Ehrmann's "Misquoting Jesus"; and before that, Christopher Hitchen's "the Portable Atheist".
And yes...I do have questions. One might be this: "if jesus didn't even exist, for what reason, by what motivation, by what method, did the christian "religion" begin?
I can't quite get a handle on it!

To control the ignorant. And keep them ignorant. That's normally good enough.

Belated welcome, Swedgen. :wave:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:12 am

Austin Harper wrote:
angawawa wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:I finally got a Kindle so I'm looking forward to amassing digital piles of books I'll never read instead of continuing to clutter up my living room with all of the books I'll never read.

You must check out http://www.pixelofink.com. It's where I got most of my books. They aren't all great, but it's a place to try out new authors and new genres. I will not, under any circumstances, read a romance novel, but somebody must like them.

I love my Kindle Fire. It goes everywhere with me. They have a new one with 4G capability, which is the only thing I wish mine had. Someday...

Speaking of tablets...
When I got my Kindle on Friday my girlfriend made fun of me because when she came home I was sitting on the couch watching Netflix on my TV, I had my laptop on the table in front of me (with the forum open, of course) my tablet in one hand reading a news story, my Kindle on my lap with the instruction manual open on it, and my phone in my left hand sending a text. For some reason she thought five screens was too many to be using simultaneously.

Ha!

:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:21 am

I finally went and bought a copy of Myth, Legend, and Custom in the Old Testament by Theodor Gaster (1969)

http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Legend-Custo ... B000EICOR0

The first time I encountered this was as a library book. I took it out twice, but never managed to read the whole thing. The second time, I tried typing out the parts I found most interesting. Eventually, the library discarded it 'cause it was "too worn". I was sad.

Comparative mythology used on the Bible. It's extremely interesting. Must be outdated by now, but I don't now of any better books on the subject.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:31 am

I picked up "The Selfish Gene" for a quick review....not planning to completely re-read it, but skim/read selected parts.

It's one of those key fundamental books that changed everything......
Kenny A. Chaffin

Swedgen

Postby Swedgen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:44 am

I just finished Steven Pinker's How the Mind Works. Absolutely superb.

I've just started The Descent of Man by Charles Darwin, and on the Kindle I'm reading Remarkable Creatures (again) by Sean Carroll.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:22 am

Swedgen wrote:I just finished Steven Pinker's How the Mind Works. Absolutely superb.

I've never read it. His name puts me off, for some reason. "Pinker". It sounds painful to the eyes.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:11 am

Dammity damn damn! I'm trying to read The Penitentials of Theodore, but I can't find the text online! The best I could find was this website: http://www.anglo-saxon.net/penance/index.html

BUT it uses Firefox, and I don't! I can't even tell if the site has the text online or not. Stoopid Firefox.... :slapfight:
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:28 am

Book? I'm watching the movie.
Last edited by Aztexan on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:52 am

I'm reading The Looting of America by Les Leopold and Marilyn Vos Savants Brain Bilding 12 week program book.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:27 pm

...and then everybody stopped reading books for nearly a year.

I went and warmed up my library card today. Withdrew A Short History of Myth by Karen Armstrong [2005] and In All Her Names by Joseph Campbell, Riane Eisler, Marija Gimbutas and Charles Muses [1991?] for a little light reading.

Gord wrote:Dammity damn damn! I'm trying to read The Penitentials of Theodore, but I can't find the text online! The best I could find was this website: http://www.anglo-saxon.net/penance/index.html

BUT it uses Firefox, and I don't! I can't even tell if the site has the text online or not. Stoopid Firefox.... :slapfight:

Oh good, they've fixed their website! http://www.anglo-saxon.net/penance/ Now if only I can remember what my question(s) was(were). :?
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Having finished A Dance with Dragons a while ago I decided I needed a little more of A Song of Ice and Fire while I wait for The Winds of Winter so I've been reading Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas in the meantime. The first two were just ok but the third was quite good. I'll probably pick up The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince novellas pretty soon, too.

I also just read Ilium by Dan Simmons and it was fantastic. I'm planning on reading its sequel, Olympos after I finish the novellas.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:20 am

Gord wrote:In All Her Names by Joseph Campbell, Riane Eisler, Marija Gimbutas and Charles Muses [1991?]

This? I gagged while reading it. Do not recommend. There's one part that amounts to little more than numerology. :?
#ANDAMOVIE

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:36 am

Still reading mostly short stories and flash fiction here. Most recently

Stuart Dybek - amazing stuff
The Coast of Chicago and Ecstatic Cahoots

and

The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis.

also just got the latest O'Henry Prize winners 2014
Kenny A. Chaffin

Jim Hourihane

Postby Jim Hourihane » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:17 am

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
I'm feeling good about my chances. I know how to win playing those free games. You can ask me about em. I know few links that can be trusted.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 pm

Jim Hourihane wrote:American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

That was a great book. And the TV series is really good, too. Must read, must watch.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:06 am

Major Malfunction wrote:

That was a great book. And the TV series is really good, too. Must read, must watch.

I have that book, and several others by Gaiman, but never read them.

Thanks to both of you, I have moved the book to my "to do" list.

in American Gods, Gaiman wrote:. . . While the geography of the United States of America in this tale is not entirely imaginary—many of the landmarks in this book can be visited, paths can be followed, ways can be mapped—I have taken liberties. Fewer liberties than you might imagine, but liberties nonetheless.

Permission has neither been asked nor given for the use of real places in this story when they appear, I expect that the owners of Rock City or the House on the Rock, and the hunters who own the motel in the center of America, are as perplexed as anyone would be to find their properties in here.

I have obscured the location of several of the places in this book: the town of Lakeside, for example, and the farm with the ash tree an hour south of Blacksburg. You may look for them if you wish. You might even find them.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:13 am

Mate. I rate Neil as one of the best living sci-fi/fantasy authors.

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:43 am

Brilliant book. Love Neil Gaiman. I just got The Sandman graphic novels, but haven't started reading them yet.

I was really hoping that Terry Pratchett had decided to let Gaiman complete any unfinished manuscripts, the way Spider Robinson finished Heinlein's Variable Star. The destruction of Pratchett's hard drive was a punch to the heart.

Edited to add: I'm currently rereading Heinlein. Started Job: A Comedy of Justice last night.
...it used to be so simple, once upon a time.
Because the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of unreason, the sand of uncertainty, and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.
—Terry Pratchett, from Witches Abroad

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 am

The Quintara Marathon, by Jack L. Chalker. Three interstellar empire, each as bad as the next, and each as convinced they are the only righteous system, met the beings that originated the demons of everybody's mythology.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 pm

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Also on my iPad: {!#%@}: A Theory of Donald Trump

So far, it's not what I expected.

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 pm

A few minutes ago, I bought this kindle book from amazon, for free:

Buffalo Bayou Blues

That's book #15 in the series (of 15).

I have been collecting the books in this series one at a time since February, as each one was offered for free by the author, and now I have all 15 of them. All free.

Backstory: One of my hobbies is collecting free kindle books from amazon. I now have almost 150,000 of them. I buy them directly from amazon and I have an email invoice for each and every one of them. All free.

Hey, some people collect bottle caps. :P Your Mileage May Vary TM

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:The Quintara Marathon, by Jack L. Chalker. Three interstellar empire, each as bad as the next, and each as convinced they are the only righteous system, met the beings that originated the demons of everybody's mythology.
I love Chalker's plots. His writing, not so much. I think he needed a better editor. But his plots are fantastic. His Soul Rider series is one of my faves, as is his Four Lords of the Diamond series. I haven't read this one yet, but it's on my list.
Because the universe was full of ignorance all around and the scientist panned through it like a prospector crouched over a mountain stream, looking for the gold of knowledge among the gravel of unreason, the sand of uncertainty, and the little whiskery eight-legged swimming things of superstition.

Nikki Nyx
Frequent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:00 pm

xouper wrote:Backstory: One of my hobbies is collecting free kindle books from amazon. I now have almost 150,000 of them. I buy them directly from amazon and I have an email invoice for each and every one of them. All free.

I still collect traditional books, and am perpetually running out of bookshelf room, even though I have ten floor-to-ceiling bookshelves...and the books are stacked on some of them (instead of shelved). Admittedly, I do have to take the time to go through them; I'm 100% sure I can get rid of HTML for Netscape, for example. :mrgreen:

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:The Quintara Marathon, by Jack L. Chalker. Three interstellar empire, each as bad as the next, and each as convinced they are the only righteous system, met the beings that originated the demons of everybody's mythology.
I love Chalker's plots. His writing, not so much. I think he needed a better editor. But his plots are fantastic. His Soul Rider series is one of my faves, as is his Four Lords of the Diamond series. I haven't read this one yet, but it's on my list.

I recently read ALL the Well of Souls books in order. I did the Soul Rider (aka "Situational Ethics Gone Mad") series as well. The River of Dancing Gods is up next. One of the advantages of spending 12 hours a day with your feet higher than your head is plenty of reading time.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
xouper wrote:Backstory: One of my hobbies is collecting free kindle books from amazon. I now have almost 150,000 of them. I buy them directly from amazon and I have an email invoice for each and every one of them. All free.

I still collect traditional books, and am perpetually running out of bookshelf room, even though I have ten floor-to-ceiling bookshelves...and the books are stacked on some of them (instead of shelved). Admittedly, I do have to take the time to go through them; I'm 100% sure I can get rid of HTML for Netscape, for example. :mrgreen:

Boss Lady has over two thousand books cataloged on LibraryThing.com.

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:

I've been working on a similar problem. I decided to solve it by scanning my pbooks and archiving them as PDFs on dvd-rom. And then recycling the paper. So far I've scanned about 1000 of them, with another 2000 (or so) to go. Some of those were MS-DOS books (heaven help me if I ever need those again). It'll go a lot faster once I get my new book scanner build.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:18 am

Senario #1:

You die and go to heven. Part uv your benefits iz that all thoze books are in the library in your mansion and you hav forever to read them and they are all great.

Senario #2:

You die and go to hell. You are in a tiny studio apartment crowded with thoze books. They are all bad and you spend eternity reading them, riting reviewz on their many failingz. There iz also a small blak&wite tube TV with the tan & painted woodgrain cabinet with bilt in rabbit ear antena. The only showz it gets besidez the monthly State uv the Realm speech by Satan are award showz in wich the authorz uv thoze free books alwayz win.

Senario #3:

You liv long enuf, thanks to advansing medical siens, to read all thoze books. Sum are crap, sum are good. Quite a few standout moments uv brillians amongst them and there are a hand full uv great books.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:32 am

Good one, JO. :lol:

Scenario #4:

In the next few years my collection reaches a million free kindle books from amazon and I use them for data mining research.

Caveat: Such a collection is not likely to be a representative sample of the set of all published books.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:38 am

Scenario #5: Amazon takes offence at something you once said, and deletes your entire library.

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:00 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Scenario #5: Amazon takes offence at something you once said, and deletes your entire library.

That would certainly harsh my mellow.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am

So at least, owning paper books, if someone kicks down your door and burns all your books, you know for sure your enemies.

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”