Impeachment news

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Impeachment news

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am

Pelosi says impeachment ‘not a priority’ after Cohen's guilty plea
The Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIAYtHiCjN8
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Impeachment news

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 am

I agree that Trump should be impeached, early and often until it sticks.
Pence is a predictable joke who is so stupid that he thinks praying will solve all issues.

I guess the Dems just don't want to make an issue of it prior to the Midterms.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:23 am

It is time to impeach the party, and bring back Hillary. OK OK Maybe not Hillary...

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 am

TJrandom wrote:It is time to impeach the party, and bring back Hillary. OK OK Maybe not Hillary...

let the woman eat her baby faces in peace!

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:05 am

Shades of 1974! Nixon's slogan of "peace with honor" (in Viet Nam) got onto demonstrators' placards as "Impeachment with honor". After he fired Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox, bumper stickers appeared saying "Impeach the Cox-sacker".

Seriously, we could almost stage the play over again, with the same actors playing Liddy and Manafort, Dean and McGahn, Nixon and Trump, St. Clair and Cohen, Mitchell and Sessions (although Sessions doesn't appear to have committed any crimes, as far as anybody can prove at this point)...
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:56 pm

He lied to Congress - and I bet there are tons of Fae-botherers and cookie connoisseurs out there who feel betrayed. :roll:
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Lindsey Graham is floating that Sessions might be replaced soon, but not before the midterms...

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:58 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:I agree that Trump should be impeached ...
I don't.

Unless we're going to impeach Pence too, and it better be something most Republicans would agree about (as it was with Nixon).

If only Trump would suck Pence's dick on camera while strangling an American orphan. ;)
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

montgomery
BANNED

Post by montgomery » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm

A Dem initiated attempt at impeachment would fail for lack of support obviously. A big mistake because the Dems have a good gameplan working already. It's likely going to result in big gains for them in the coming election.

The real question is, should the Repubs initiate impeachment?

Not now because nothing could be concluded before the election. After the election, depending on how big the disaster has become for the R's, the impeachment can begin. And likely will in earnest in order to have it all finished with and under the bridge before the 2020 election.

What I'm really suggesting is that Trump's fate hangs with the Republicans in congress, and not with his supporters. This is why the media is on the wrong track with their belabouring the fact that Trump has enough suppporters to see hm through.

As to the grounds for impeachment? Well established 10 times over in comparison to the grounds used to impeach Clinton.

As to the rightfulness of the cause to impeach Trump? Trump is the worst thing to befall any nation's political scene since the rise of Hitler. This fact needing to be considered in relation to the greatness being destroyed by Trump!

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I don't get why people are worried about Pence - he is a total wuss. He will never be a leader since he always needs someone to tell him what to do. He is the personified rubber-backbone of the GOP.
Democrats can make his life such a hell that he will cry on life TV.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Unless Republicans impeach Trump, they will forever be tainted by his legacy.
But why don't we wait and see what the former RNC's deputy chairman has to say to the Mueller team?

montgomery
BANNED

Post by montgomery » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Unless Republicans impeach Trump, they will forever be tainted by his legacy.
But why don't we wait and see what the former RNC's deputy chairman has to say to the Mueller team?
Who is the former deputy chairman?

I would suggest that the Mueller investigation is an irrelevant distraction at this point in time. The fact that it is ongoing and the Repubs would be committing Hari-Kari on themselves if they kill it, is all that matters.

Not to suggest that Mueller doesn't have the goods on Trump, because he obviously has, but before the upcoming election would be the wrong time to spring it on the American people.

The Dems have the perfect storm brewing and the Repubs have no real moves to make. After the election they can come together and dispose of Trump quickly and cleanly. Then begin to regain their lost credibility, which shouldn't be all that hard to do in a system that will always be polarized.

The wild care will be: An opportunity for a third party to move in that will answer to the people's demands. Those demands that Trump promised to meet but lied about being his intentions.

Any idea on what political ideology will be taken up by the American people next?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:27 pm

montgomery wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote: But why don't we wait and see what the former RNC's deputy chairman has to say to the Mueller team?
Who is the former deputy chairman?

Michael Cohen

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Now Sessions is talking back for the first time - he thinks the orange-glazed goose is cooked?

(Or issit because he heard what Graham said? :heh:)

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:18 pm

montgomery wrote:...Not to suggest that Mueller doesn't have the goods on Trump, because he obviously has, but before the upcoming election would be the wrong time to spring it on the American people ...
Even as a non-American, I can identify a load of {!#%@} when I see it. You are kidding, montgomery. You ARE kidding, aren't you?

montgomery
BANNED

Post by montgomery » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 am

Poodle wrote:
montgomery wrote:...Not to suggest that Mueller doesn't have the goods on Trump, because he obviously has, but before the upcoming election would be the wrong time to spring it on the American people ...
Even as a non-American, I can identify a load of {!#%@} when I see it. You are kidding, montgomery. You ARE kidding, aren't you?
Poodle, the goods on Trump are already exposed without anything being said by Mueller. In America the issue is not to see justice done, it's to spin the story by politicians to either clear Trump or convict him of crimes. This will depend on the factors I've already laid out in detail.

You may have noticed that I said that it would be up to the Republicans to turn thumbs down on Trump, and that all hinges on their fortunes in the upcoming election.

The Republicans are stuck between a rock and a hard place and they know that it's of their own making. They also know that it dependant on them to get rid of Trump, simply because they hold the power to accomplish that. The timing is important, as I said.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:59 am

Sorry, montgomery, but I don't see it that way (and, I suspect, nor does the rest of the world). The Republicans put him where he is and I fail to see why they should be trusted to correct their temporary insanity. There exists every good cause for impeachment - just get on with it and remove what is a clear and present threat to world stability.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 am

By everything that is good and true in this country, Trump should be impeached.
By what is in the long-term interest of the country, he should probably stay until there is proof of conspiracy with Russia or until his term runs out.
After being found guilty of a crime and impeached, Clinton's numbers went UP. I fear plenty of conservatives just want the investigations to be over, regardless of the outcome: they will say that it matters what the President does in the future, not what he has done as a businessman.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am

,,, thus demonstrating a belief in fairies. Trump is what Trump is. He hasn't changed. We KNOW what he's going to do in the future. Impeachment is the only way out because, to be frank, I'm not sure that the everyday Trump voter has seen through his smokescreen, blatant though it is.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:06 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:By everything that is good and true in this country, Trump should be impeached.
By what is in the long-term interest of the country, he should probably stay until there is proof of conspiracy with Russia or until his term runs out.
After being found guilty of a crime and impeached, Clinton's numbers went UP. I fear plenty of conservatives just want the investigations to be over, regardless of the outcome: they will say that it matters what the President does in the future, not what he has done as a businessman.
Did he not leave the "simply a businessman" notion behind when he entered the fray with his campaign?

(During which he reportedly did all kinds of stuff a candidate should not be doing - while under GOP/RNC guidance. Heck, Reince Priebus was with him in the tower when that now infamous meeting happened...)

montgomery
BANNED

Post by montgomery » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Poodle wrote:Sorry, montgomery, but I don't see it that way (and, I suspect, nor does the rest of the world). The Republicans put him where he is and I fail to see why they should be trusted to correct their temporary insanity. There exists every good cause for impeachment - just get on with it and remove what is a clear and present threat to world stability.
I think you're reading it entirely wrong when you say Republicans put him where he is. Unless you're referring to the 'voters' who supported him, and that's also doubtful. His support came from people who didn't think Republican.

As to the Republican congress? The tide of support for Trump out of desperation, left them flatfooted. Even the most jaded teabaggers would have known that they were starting down a road to disaster. That's turned out to be in fact true.

The last hope of the Republican party is that the House massacre doesn't happen. But they're obviously preparing for it and know the steps they will have to take once it happens. They have no way to stop it from happening now with the Trump albatross around their necks.

How quickly can impeachment proceedings happen and be brought to conclusion? A couple of months? The thing that would need to be factored in is that the Dems would want to drag their feet right up until within a few months of the 2020 election. While the Repubs are going to want to make it happen quickly and then be able to forget about the Trump experience.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Well. I'm certainly no expert in US politics - but if someone is running on a Republican ticket, doesn't the Republican Party have to approve and support that in some way?

montgomery
BANNED

Post by montgomery » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Poodle wrote:Well. I'm certainly no expert in US politics - but if someone is running on a Republican ticket, doesn't the Republican Party have to approve and support that in some way?
Yes, of course. But they had no choice but to accede to the people's choice. If you followed the debates and the candidat selection you would have seen the process in action.

The Republican party could have taken action early on to stop Trump perhaps, but they didn't act in time. They won't make the same mistake again even though they most likely will never be faced with the same kind of extremist sociopath like Trump.

The Dem party almost got themselves into the same situation with Bernie, in that Bernie was/is a social Democrat. He was not a desirable candidate for the Dem party and so they colluded amongst themselves to destroy his chances. Even when their other choice was so risky and fatally flawed. They won't allow another Bernie to infiltrate their party.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Poodle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 pm

So, to get back to the original point, the Republican Party do bear the responsibility for Trump. They could (and should) have disowned him at any point.

montgomery
BANNED

Post by montgomery » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Poodle wrote:So, to get back to the original point, the Republican Party do bear the responsibility for Trump. They could (and should) have disowned him at any point.
You're missing the point that they couldn't disown Trump in time and he gained enough support from the people that it became impossible. I've already told you that they didn't act in time and then were stuck with him.

Just as the R's in congress are stuck with him now, if that makes sense to you? Can you at least agree that the Repubs in congress would love to see him go, regardless of the method used?

The usefulness of this discussion between us is in making others aware that Trump is the albatross around the neck of the R party. Trump represents the real potential to destroy the party.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Of course the Republican Party could have kept Trump off of the ticket. In doing so they would have shown themselves to have a backbone and to have acted in the best interests of their party and the nation. Sure, they would have lost the election as Trump would have gone independent and Hillary would have won. That they didn`t just shows how corrupt the party was/is. They simply chose to win and the nation be {!#%@}.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Trump is calling for Sessions to release unredacted classified information.

montgomery
BANNED

Post by montgomery » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:40 pm

TJrandom wrote:Of course the Republican Party could have kept Trump off of the ticket. In doing so they would have shown themselves to have a backbone and to have acted in the best interests of their party and the nation. Sure, they would have lost the election as Trump would have gone independent and Hillary would have won. That they didn`t just shows how corrupt the party was/is. They simply chose to win and the nation be {!#%@}.
Maybe? I just don't think Trump would have chosen to be an independent and lost the election. A slightly different reason for the Repubs. not killing Trump is that they would have alienated the Trump supporters and that would have given the election to Hillary.

I think most of us agree though that if the Repubs in congress could feed Trump to the sharks or the alligators right now, they would.

It can only get worse for the R party!

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:58 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Trump is calling for Sessions to release unredacted classified information.
Well, maybe he could find Trump's tax returns and release those!

Y'know, just to test the waters on that sort of thing.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Mueller must have them already and perhaps DoJ also got a glimpse. Combination of that and other recent happenings might explain Darth Keebler's attempt at standing tall. :-P

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:38 pm

What is sacrosanct about "classified information" exactly?

The president has the authority to declassify anything he wants.

Or do you think the "intelligence community" is the legitimate government, and never mind that constitution {!#%@}?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:06 am

Information is usually classified to protect people or groups. You don't want the bad guys to find out what you're investigating them for, who's doing the investigation, or where they're doing the investigation, for instance. You also don't want innocent people to be falsely branded simply because they were under investigation for something.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:What is sacrosanct about "classified information" exactly?
What Gord said. Which also includes protecting sources and methods.
The president has the authority to declassify anything he wants.

Or do you think the "intelligence community" is the legitimate government, and never mind that constitution {!#%@}?
Then he could simply do himself what he is asking the AG to do: possibly putting other people's well being - if not lives - at risk for the sake of placating and/or duping his dupes.

(In case I wasn't clear in my earlier post, he doesn't just want whatever interest him and his toadies in the House released, he also wants it fully disclosed - without any of the usual safeguards for anyone or anything applied.)

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:19 am

The GOP is talking impeachment enough for both parties before the Midterms.
Democrats should take the position that they (should they win the House) won't just impeach Trump as a publicity stunt as in the case of Clinton, but would only do so if there is a majority in the Senate willing to follow through with it.

This is a strategy with regards to 2020: Swing-voters might feel that Republicans deserve another presidential term if Trump's was cut short, making it harder for Dems to win.

Personally, and for the History Books, I find the thought abhorrent that Congress would impeach Clinton for an affair, but might not do so for Trump

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:44 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:What is sacrosanct about "classified information" exactly? The president has the authority to declassify anything he wants.
US Presidents only last eight years. Setting up an illegal spy network in another country may take twenty years.

If a president goes nutty and blows a network he will get removed from office and go home. However, everyone in the network gets shot.

It gets hard to recruit people to work for your network, if the previous workers were blown by the President and taken out and shot. :D

For this reason, politicians in the UK, Australia, Canada and NZ are generally not told what SIS, ASIS, CSIS and NZSIS are doing in any detail and the "steering and overview committees" are permanent public servants or ex-military.

I would make a guess Pompeo does not tell Trump everything in his daily intelligence briefs, in the same way SIS, ASIS, CSIS and NZSIS don't give the USA any detail anymore as Trump will simply tell others about our networks.

On a more humorous note
Gorgeous is a fan of President Trump. Gorgeous also claims the USA government is keeping Roswell and captured aliens secret from the USA public. So, why isn't Gorgeous, and all the pro Trump, conspiracy nuts, demand that Trump tells the world about the captured aliens?
:D

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:[... So, why isn't Gorgeous, and all the pro Trump, conspiracy nuts, demand that Trump tells the world about the captured aliens?
Simple... his cover would be blown. Either? Both? :mrgreen:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:13 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
...I would make a guess Pompeo does not tell Trump everything in his daily intelligence briefs...
The issue might not be that he doesn't want to, but his... boss isn't willing (or able) to absorb more than one short cartoon before breakfast lunch.

And after that is nap time, since he needs his energy for hitting a little ball with a stick.