Italy avoiding "Trumpism" (whatever that is).

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Italy avoiding "Trumpism" (whatever that is).

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Berlusconi could save Italy from 'Trump-style' populists: ex-Economist editor
The Local (Italy)

The former editor of the Economist, an influential UK weekly which once slammed Silvio Berlusconi as "unfit to lead Italy", said Saturday the ex-premier could stop populists at the upcoming general election.

"I've not changed my opinion: Berlusconi is still unfit to lead Italy," Bill Emmott said in an interview with the Corriere della Sera daily, in reference to the three-time leader famed the world over for his "Bunga Bunga" erotic parties.

"But he could be decisive in forming a centrist coalition able to prevent the (anti-establishment) Five Star Movement or (anti-immigrant) Northern League from being the driving force in the new government" at the March vote, he said.

The populist Five Stars (M5S), which was founded in 2009 and supports a hotchpotch of policies from across the ideological spectrum, is the leading single party in opinion polls but is slammed by critics as immature and incompetent.

Hmm.

For one thing I know the Northern League isn't merely "anti-immigrant", they are northern Italy secessionists. Nothing remotely similar to that in mainstream US politics.

And trying to relate the Five Stars to US politics "a hotchpotch of policies from across the ideological spectrum", that could be either major US party. The article must be leaving something out.

However, I am already familiar with what Berlusconi is like (or thought I was). I have previously said that he is the European politician most like Trump. Flamboyant billionaire etc.

Is the article simply BS? Or else what exactly am I missing?
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Italy avoiding "Trumpism" (whatever that is).

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:43 am

That could be a shame, given Trump knows how to make deals with the Mafia. Mostly concrete though.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?