It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Walter, you are arguing the wrong point, intentionally I have to assume.
Think of yourself running a critical business and you have to hire one candidate out of a pool of equally qualified and desirable candidates For Life !
You learn that not only was he a heavy drinker and party boy in highschool and college, but a number of women have come forward accusing him of sexual assault or facilitating sexual assault.
Why would you hire that person, when there are plenty others without a pile of accusations against them?

Gorsuch wasn't such a flawed candidate, which is why he passed the hearing without much problem, even though Republicans had stolen the seat.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:17 pm

If I were hiring someone for a permanent, lifelong position, I'd be more interested in where the person is now, 35 years after, instead of where they were in high school. A considerable amount of growing up is likely to have occurred.

However, I don't like the way the supreme court can be stacked according to partisanship by the ruling party. I think Supreme Court judges should be 100% nonpartisan and apolitical.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:17 pm
If I were hiring someone for a permanent, lifelong position, I'd be more interested in where the person is now, 35 years after, instead of where they were in high school. A considerable amount of growing up is likely to have occurred.

However, I don't like the way the supreme court can be stacked according to partisanship by the ruling party. I think Supreme Court judges should be 100% nonpartisan and apolitical.
If I hire someone with a dicey background, I want evidence that they have outgrown their old ways.
I also want someone able to be self-critical.
Above all, I want someone who doesn't verbally attack me during the job interview.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:33 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Above all, I want someone who doesn't verbally attack me during the job interview.
Don't like tough interviews?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:45 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:33 pm
ElectricMonk wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Don't like tough interviews?
When I do the hiring?
I might enjoy the sparing, but I won't hire someone with no sense of decorum.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Back in the day, I refused to hire a candidate simply because he told an off-color sexual innuendo joke. I also rejected a female candidate who flashed her knickers. The objective is to hire the very best, not the least flawed. Any reason to reject is acceptable in an interview/selection process.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Walter wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:03 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:04 am
Joe Bob Briggs writes humorous books that fall flatter than a traffic cop's arches, in my opinion. What he says here sounds plausible, except that Kavanaugh didn't exactly "step forth and own up" to what he did.
This is the first I have heard of Joe Bob. I am much more familiar with Frank Reynolds of ABC News.
My God! You must be older than dirt! Frank Reynolds died over 40 years ago. (For the record, I'm 76 myself!)
Walter wrote:
In another thread, I mentioned that my teenage years were in the 1960s. I can think of just one boy in our community who would have been qualified to be President or sit on the Supreme Court today. He became a mechanical engineer, but turned to the dark side and went into the ministry. There were also two girls who would have been qualified. The rest of us? Totally, completely, absolutely and categorically unqualified. Especially the boys, being two to five years behind the girls in terms of maturity.

I thank Jesus that I never had to divulge details of my teenage years to my customers, research scientists from the chemical and biotechnology industries. Hell, I can thank Jesus’ Mother that I did not have to report on my 20s and 30s.

My hearings would have lasted 14 months, minimum. I am thinking of how thick my FBI file would have been. At least the pressmen in the Government Printing Office would have been happy.
Well, times were different back then. I graduated high school in 1960. My girlfriends were all very willing partners. In college and graduate school, they and I sometimes disagreed about what stage our relationship was in. But this I can assure you: No girl ever had to run screaming for help out of my room. If they firmly said no, I respected that.

Joe Bob Briggs represents the absolute dregs of humanity as far as I'm concerned. Anybody who tries to equate an attempted rape with standard adolescent behavior is beneath contempt.
Walter wrote:
Here is an article I sent to my brother back in April of last year. This one will sit much better with you.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/fe ... sm-w474896

If this does not work, just do a quick search of “rolling stone” “pathology of narcissism”
I've spent much of this week watching Wagner's Ring Cycle. Today, I watched "Siegfried." What strikes me most of all is that Wotan, who represents all that is good and decent in the world, despite his/its flaws, is doomed. He knows that and is resigned to his fate. Looking at the world around me, I find it impossible to picture Trump as anything but the evil dwarf Alberich.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm

landrew wrote:

landrew, you are too fine and nice to live in this wicked world. The notion that there even is such a thing as a "100% nonpartisan and apolitical" judge is just too fine. It's not ever going to be realized in practice. Much as it's an ideal we all would like, there are powerful forces around who want exactly the opposite. And they are in charge, right now.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm

To no one's surprise, Trump now professes to be totally satisfied with the SECOND Saudi explanation of Kashoggi's death. To summarize it, this probable terrorist, faced with 15 agents of the Saudi government, one of whom happened to be carrying a bone saw with him, decided to assault them, and, regrettably, he died in the melee that he himself caused.

Well, I could never present the picture as fairly and objectively as Fox News will, so you should tune in there to see what really happened.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:03 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm
landrew wrote:

landrew, you are too fine and nice to live in this wicked world. The notion that there even is such a thing as a "100% nonpartisan and apolitical" judge is just too fine. It's not ever going to be realized in practice. Much as it's an ideal we all would like, there are powerful forces around who want exactly the opposite. And they are in charge, right now.
I told someone I work with I’d prefer nonpartisan judges but that’s impossible. Other than that 4 “liberal,” 4 “conservative” and then a “moderate.” The problem is that both parties look at judges as prizes to stack when they are in power. Because of this we now have a badly skewed court that will be an issue for decades to come.

TBH I prefer a liberal-leaning court, better not to restrict rights than risk giving too much.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm
To no one's surprise, Trump now professes to be totally satisfied with the SECOND Saudi explanation of Kashoggi's death. To summarize it, this probable terrorist, faced with 15 agents of the Saudi government, one of whom happened to be carrying a bone saw with him, decided to assault them, and, regrettably, he died in the melee that he himself caused.

Well, I could never present the picture as fairly and objectively as Fox News will, so you should tune in there to see what really happened.
What’s the life of a journalist against a mega arms deal?
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:59 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm
landrew wrote:

The founding fathers intended for the 3 branches of government to be independent.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:51 am

Judges can be partisan as long as they are judges first and foremost. Kavanaugh got rebuked multiple times for being a party hack in open conflict with jurisprudence.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 am

And for reportedly lying to the Senate in the past and present - that alone should have had them shown him one or the other door.
Lard, save me from your followers.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 am
And for reportedly lying to the Senate in the past and present - that alone should have had them shown him one or the other door.
the scary bit, IMO: the fact that Kavanaugh was willing the perjure himself to get into a position to enact his agenda might have been a big plus for some of his supporters: someone not burdened by morals to help turn the US into the Handmaiden's Tale.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:33 am

He was also shown to be temperamentally unsuitable for the job. He became angry, tearful and hostile in equal measures, thus demonstrating the kind of impartiality and equanimity absolutely NOT required for the post he so desperately wanted. Even so, he did not give himself the job - that was down to people who voted on the grounds of pure political self-interest.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 am

Is Trump in jail yet?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=is+trump ... e&ie=UTF-8

No, apparently not.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:07 am

landrew wrote:

Not much growing up if you still think (but sadly do) avoid personal responsibility, and the "truth", by lying your way out of it.

I'll say again, because the Lame Stream Press is not: Kavanaugh is just a Deep State Republican Operative in the employ of the AlreadyTooRich to maintain the status quo of Fraud and Abuse. A political HACK so corrupt, he can't even hide it, like the rest of them are rational enough to do.

………………………………… Just...……..look.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:16 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm

What’s the life of a journalist against a mega arms deal?
The BBC yesterday gave a kind of box score on this: Merkel said there are a lot of unanswered questions, Macron said the answer wasn't fully satisfactory, another European leader said the explanation was incredible. Only Trump, as far as I know, says it's credible. As the BBC said, Trump has an arms deal (again, worth $38B, not, as he claims, $110B) and he has Junior Kushner's Peace Plan to promote, for which he needs Saudi help, and he needs them to keep the price of oil down by increasing production when Iran gets cut off. (That's a plan to destroy Iran, I'm sure, but I don't have any details.) The BBC didn't quote China or Russia on the explanation, and it didn't mention any personal stake Trump, Inc. has in Saudi businesses.

Update: Trump now says he wants to get to the bottom of this. (NB: Trump is ALREADY AT the bottom of EVERYTHING.) This takes me back 45 years, to 1973, when Nixon swore he would get to the bottom of the Watergate break-in.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:19 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:07 am
landrew wrote:

Not much growing up if you still think (but sadly do) avoid personal responsibility, and the "truth", by lying your way out of it.

I'll say again, because the Lame Stream Press is not: Kavanaugh is just a Deep State Republican Operative in the employ of the AlreadyTooRich to maintain the status quo of Fraud and Abuse. A political HACK so corrupt, he can't even hide it, like the rest of them are rational enough to do.

………………………………… Just...……..look.
I have my political biases like anyone, and I don't want to see Kavanaugh confirmed, but the system doesn't do it impartially, as it should. The founding fathers wanted it that way.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am

An email poll asked if I thought that Chelsea should run for office. Of course, why not? Surely there is a school board or a city ward than needs new blood. And if that works out then maybe a county level representative. You do suppose that is what they were thinking – right? Surely nothing at the state or national level? :roll:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am

TJrandom wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am
An email poll asked if I thought that Chelsea should run for office.
Chelsea?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:43 am

Gord wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am
TJrandom wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 am
An email poll asked if I thought that Chelsea should run for office.
Chelsea?
Yea, that must be the one - a real comedian... ;)

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 am

I'm all for the least popular Democrats running - and then strategically bowing out to make Independent voters believe that the party isn't as crazy as they seem to think.

Obviously, there needs to be at least one women on the ticket, though IMO two would be much better.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 am

Once again, the Democrats are facing a perfect storm. The swelling caravan south of the border is made-to-order for Trump. He'll frighten people with it and blame the Democrats for doing it. (He's already said they are behind the whole thing. Not unless they want to commit suicide at the coming election.) And despite it all, Trump's poll numbers are WAY UP!!

The only hope now comes from the Kashoggi investigation. Trump has GOT to do something. Not even his ardent supporters can be in favor of dismembering a man alive. (I hope!) And even the GOP Congress is criticizing him for trying to undo the START treaty. But that's only foreign policy. It won't affect a mid-term election. I'm deeply pessimistic at this point. Well, if the GOP comes out of this election unscathed, it will only get more arrogant. We'll just have to wait for them to destroy the economy, and hope they do it BEFORE 2020. They are certainly going to do it in the near future.

Walter

Post by Walter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 am

Congressman: “Mr. Walter, I want to ask you several questions about your 23 years of drinking which started in the 6th grade.”

Mr. Walter: “Congressman, it was the 7th grade. I cannot even guess how many blackouts I experienced during those years. Because of this, I will be pleading the 5th.

Congressman: Mr. Walter, thank you for your candor and honesty. It is really refreshing and most appreciated by this committee. Let’s move on to your views of psychic phenomena. Have you ever consulted with a psychic? Have you ever talked with a dead relative?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm trying to mentally prepare for a 2016 re-run:
the GOP will keep Congress, and one week after the dust has settle, Mueller will unveil that Trump, Ryan and McConnell are guilty as hell of Collusion and Obstruction.
And by 2020, everyone has forgotten about it.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 am
...The only hope now comes from the Kashoggi investigation. Trump has GOT to do something. Not even his ardent supporters can be in favor of dismembering a man alive. (I hope!)...
Fat chance. Not only was the apparently deceased a member of a group most loved to be hated, he also was a friggin' journalist! Never would have made it alive outta today's Montana. Or a (future) proper Senate hearing.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:41 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:12 pm
I'm trying to mentally prepare for a 2016 re-run:
the GOP will keep Congress, and one week after the dust has settle, Mueller will unveil that Trump, Ryan and McConnell are guilty as hell of Collusion and Obstruction.
And by 2020, everyone has forgotten about it.
...and the rampant voter meddling and fraud.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:59 pm

Here's a bit of inspiration that may soon be needed in the US:

It's a note written by Ernst Toller (1893—1939), President (for six days) of the Bavarian Socialist Republic in 1919. He was sent to prison for five years under the Weimar Republic as a result. He was exiled from Germany in 1933, and committed suicide in May 1939, upon learning that his brother and sister had been sent to a concentration camp.

The following words are his response to the burning of the books in May 1933. Some of what he wrote applies already to the Trump administration. True, Trump is not persecuting the Jews, but the weakest people in the US today are Muslims and Hispanics, and Trump is scapegoating them day in and day out. I wonder if the rest of this history is also fated to be repeated.
Ernst Toller wrote:

OPEN LETTER TO HERR GOEBBELS (1933)

When the works of German authors, philosophers, and scholars were thrown onto the flames on 10 May, you, Herr Goebbels inspired this barbaric act and blessed it, and in your speech referred to the works that were burned as “spiritual filth.”

You have banned our works from German theaters, publishers, booksellers, libraries, and schools. You are persecuting the authors, imprisoning or exiling them.

You are driving the best teachers out of the German universities, the best conductors and composers out of the concert halls, and the best actors out of the theaters. You are driving painters, architects, and builders out of their studios and work sites.

You are not satisfied merely to torment those who are incarcerated in your prisons and concentration camps. You even persecute the emigrants through the numerous means at your disposal. To use your own words, you want to “destroy them brutally and irrevocably,” both spiritually and physically.

What lies at the foundation of such unspeakable hatred?

These people believe in a world of freedom, humanity, and social justice. These people are sincere socialists, communists, pacifists, or believing Christians. These people are not willing to deny the voice of truth and bow down to power.

The persecutions and exilings are an honor for those of us who are persecuted. Many of us will now, for the first time, have to prove ourselves worthy of this honor. We shall not whine and we shall not beg for mercy; we shall sign no oaths of loyalty.

We shall never cease to condemn your shameful deeds.

You claim to be saving German culture, and you are destroying the noblest work of German culture.

You claim to be waking up the German youth, and you are blinding their spirit, their eyes, and their mind.

You claim to be liberating the working people, and you are bringing disgrace upon them and binding them in the chains of social and spiritual slavery.

You claim to be purging Germany of its errors, and you are persecuting the weakest of its citizens, the Jews.

You claim that you and the German spirit are one, but your deeds are the antithesis of the ideals of Goethe, Lessing, Herder, Schiller, Wieland, Ranke, and all those people who understood the highest German ideals and disseminated them to the world.

You speak so much of heroism, and you have in mind the heroism of soldiers. We know another kind of heroism, the heroism of work, of character, of ordinary people who stand up for what they believe in.

You speak of the cowardice of your opponents.

We promise you that your persecution will make us tougher, your hatred will make us more determined, and your opposition will make us struggle yet harder.

We are not innocent of our lot. We have made many mistakes, the greatest of which was our tolerance.

Because of the lesson you gave us, we shall make up for our mistakes. That is to your credit.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 am

Trump says US is ending decades-old nuclear arms treaty with Russia
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/20/poli ... index.html

1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty
Parties are Russia and USA
Eliminates Land launched Nuclear Missile Ranges between 500– 5,500 km

Here goes...... If the USA pulls out, Russia can introduce and move short ranged, land launched nuclear missiles to Kaliningrad and Russia's borders.

However, the USA has to ask a European country to allow the USA to place its short range land launched nuclear missiles on its land. I wonder how the USA will force that? If there is a nuclear exchange that European country will get fried first and quickly, yet the USA will have more time to destroy ICBMs heading towards the USA mainland

I wonder if Poland has already secretly said "yes". I imagine the Russians are also wondering that. :D

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 am

He's been chatting with BFF Pootie, it seems. I wonder what he's been promised for his services.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
but the weakest people in the US today are Muslims and Hispanics,

Nah. We're coming out strong as part of that blue wave.
506fa623-9f98-4faa-ac2a-3b66ebb91df3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trump is Putin's bitch

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:43 am

:-P

But, hey - where'd Giuliani go? :blink:

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1MW2U8

Giuliani has been talking to Manafort's lawyers as recently as last week. which might be completely illegal ... or not.
Depends on what Mueller thinks.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 am

I think they have (had?) some sort of sharing contract. Which I thought had been dissolved with Manafort's cooperation. :?

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 am
He's been chatting with BFF Pootie, it seems. I wonder what he's been promised for his services.
Same thing - not publishing the dirt he haz on him.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 am
Trump says US is ending decades-old nuclear arms treaty with Russia
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/20/poli ... index.html

1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty
Parties are Russia and USA
Eliminates Land launched Nuclear Missile Ranges between 500– 5,500 km

Here goes...... If the USA pulls out, Russia can introduce and move short ranged, land launched nuclear missiles to Kaliningrad and Russia's borders.

However, the USA has to ask a European country to allow the USA to place its short range land launched nuclear missiles on its land. I wonder how the USA will force that? If there is a nuclear exchange that European country will get fried first and quickly, yet the USA will have more time to destroy ICBMs heading towards the USA mainland

I wonder if Poland has already secretly said "yes". I imagine the Russians are also wondering that. :D
Nice analysis, Matthew! I remember when the US was secretly putting nuclear-armed missiles into Europe, with the connivance of some of the governments and against the overwhelming preference of the people. Americans were told frankly that the aim was to keep war in Europe and out of the US homeland, and the people saw through this. Governments in Europe were willing to risk their own people's existence, gambling that nuclear war was unthinkable, and this would allow keep them from being dominated by Russia.

So, Trump is managing to bring those bad old days back again. But this time, there's a new player on the board, namely the various terrorist organizations who will not hesitate to do what the leader of a country would shrink from. All they need is ONE nuclear weapon. There isn't any way to fight them militarily, since they are dispersed throughout the populations. Short summary: This is insanity. On the bright side, we may not have to worry about climate change.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 am

Just one random thought: I'm surprised to see how aggressively Erdogan is attacking this Kashoggi incident. Unless he's dissembling (always a possibility in international politics), he's going to deliver some heavy punches to the Saudis today. I can't wait to hear what he's going to say. Trump may now have cause to regret all the grandstanding he did against Erdogan over that American minister. It looked like a good idea from the point of view of consolidating American Evangelical support for Trump. But now he really needs Erdogan's cooperation to help his despicable buddies in Riyadh to get away with the unbelievable lie they are telling.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:25 am

Erdogan wants to oust MBS, and I doubt Trump can convince him to back down.