It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Looks like Meadows shed his crocodile tears in vain and his "legislative solution" gambit is failing. Doesn't seem that his desired extreme immigration bill on steroids will ever get off the ground, not with the constant changes and further tightening the Fleadom Caucus keeps demanding.

Is it just me or are Dumpy's pets the least effective group on the hill?

Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 am

Krauthammer: just a more skilled than average Republican strategist/propagandist very much in support of Trump.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009/08 ... rauthammer
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 am

I've been puzzling over Melanie's role. She's no doubts a complete naif politically, but she has advisers (or perhaps keepers put in place by her husband to keep her in line). I don't know how much freedom of action she has, so I can only guess: Did she assert herself in this instance and threaten to make a scene unless she was allowed to do this? Or is the whole think orchestrated to distract attention from the horror of the administration's policies? Question remains: Is she Trump's pawn or cat's paw? Or does she have some room for her own initiatives. How we'd know, I'm not sure.

In other news, I have some small regrets at the passing of Charles Krauthammer, though he used to infuriate me with his blind conservatism. He was a man who suffered a lot, and at the end, he urged his readers/listeners not to vote for Trump, while saying at the same time that he could never vote for Clinton. Didn't do much good, but it was a sign of some integrity.
The Internet has democratized the old threat our teachers used to hold over us: "That goes on your permanent record." We knew that was a bluff. The only people whose misdeeds were recorded in indelible ink, back then, were husbands.

But now, thanks to Google, everybody really does have a permanent record. Thanks, Mark Zuckerberg!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:43 pm

The vermin only bring their little belongings - that's the rub, innit?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: Didn't do much good, but it was a sign of some integrity.

Since when is short term lip service a sign of integrity?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 pm

I guess I'm still not tired of winning. Or maybe I just don't know what Trump means by "winning." Take, for example, his tax cuts. I still have no idea what that is going to do to my taxes next year, but I do know that I will still itemize, since the standard deduction is less than I can deduct by itemizing, only now I won't be able to deduct what I paid in state income tax. So, I expect it will cost me a few hundred dollars next April.
The Internet has democratized the old threat our teachers used to hold over us: "That goes on your permanent record." We knew that was a bluff. The only people whose misdeeds were recorded in indelible ink, back then, were husbands.

But now, thanks to Google, everybody really does have a permanent record. Thanks, Mark Zuckerberg!

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Looks like Meadows shed his crocodile tears in vain and his "legislative solution" gambit is failing. Doesn't seem that his desired extreme immigration bill on steroids will ever get off the ground, not with the constant changes and further tightening the Fleadom Caucus keeps demanding.

Is it just me or are Dumpy's pets the least effective group on the hill?

Well, Trump has so far proven to be less than adept at getting ANYTHING through Congress. What the GOP has passed has all been the fruit of efforts by Ryan and McConnell.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

And rotten fruits at that. But no worries, he predicts a Red Wave for the midterms. Supported by a Red Dawn?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:20 am

Now he claims the motto of Dems is resist and the ones of Reptilians is produce. He's projecting again. Resisting produce is his kinda thing. :-P

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:21 am

scrmbldggs wrote:And rotten fruits at that. But no worries, he predicts a Red Wave for the midterms. Supported by a Red Dawn?

I gather the Repugnicants are upset the Trump told them to forget about the immigration bill. They seem to be less sanguine than Trump about their prospects this fall. I really, really hope they are right. For me, the Wall is a non-starter. It would be a wall of shame, an admission that my country cannot deal honestly and openly with its neighbors and has to isolate itself from the world.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:26 am

So now we can understand the real reason why the US pulled out of the UNHRC. How dare anybody at the UN criticize us!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:25 am

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:06 pm

The current box score on where we are in the world, from Project Syndicate.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:04 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:So now we can understand the real reason why the US pulled out of the UNHRC. How dare anybody at the UN criticize us!

// ... the organization should instead focus on poverty in the third world. //

Erm.. isn’t that exactly what the UN did?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:01 pm

I have no doubt the children's basic needs are met, but they won't even allow access to the Red Cross? Where have I heard that before...

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:27 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I have no doubt the children's basic needs are met, but they won't even allow access to the Red Cross? Where have I heard that before...

Rumors now circulate that the kids are indeed being held as hostages, and their parents are being told that they can have them back only if they agree to leave the country. So, after 17 months of deep embarrassment, Americans are now sunk to deep shame! This I didn't foresee, but I guess I should have done.

Meanwhile, in other areas of Presidential malfeasance, the markets are jittery again, but don't worry: Navarro is saying Trump won't do what Trump threatened to do. We'll see. I personally would not lament Navarro's exit from the political stage. The sooner the better.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:20 am

On climate change - a recent denier postulated that the earth’s axis has changed and this is the cause. Nothing to do with god’s creatures... hence Trump is right. As evidence she recalls a window where sunlight never before graced the floor, but now does. ‘God moves in mysterious ways...’. Lol

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:16 am

TJrandom wrote:On climate change - a recent denier postulated that the earth’s axis has changed and this is the cause. Nothing to do with god’s creatures... hence Trump is right. As evidence she recalls a window where sunlight never before graced the floor, but now does. ‘God moves in mysterious ways...’. Lol

Well, of course, those snooty scientists, with their measuring instruments and (ugh!) theories don't know any more than people can see with their own eyes.

A little learning is a dangerous thing. It is true that long-term climate change is associated with changes in the eccentricity of the earth's orbit (changes that are primarily due to gravitational effects from Jupiter). But no, we haven't been pulled THAT far out of our normal orbit that quickly.

Does this woman live in Fatima? We know the sun does some fancy dancing there:

O Seculo wrote:Before the astonished eyes of the crowd, whose aspect was biblical as they stood bareheaded, eagerly searching the sky, the sun trembled, made sudden incredible movements outside all cosmic laws — the sun ‘danced’ according to the typical expression of the people,
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 am

Well, well, now we've got video of the kids in the detention camp, and those videos are being played outside GOP rallies. Not that it will matter to Trump's base.

I've been intrigued by the fact that in the last real election held in Germany during the 1930s, the Nazis still got only about 38% of the vote. I begin to think that 40% is the dividing line in the population: 40% of the people are impatient with logic and facts, willing to embrace insane conspiracy theories, and will overlook (or applaud) atrocities, as long as they "win" in some sense; 60% tend to be reality-based, can see things from the point of view of other people, and have reasonably civilized codes of conduct for themselves and others. I wonder, is 60% enough? Probably depends on external circumstances.

Those circumstances had been bad in Germany but were getting better of their own accord when the Nazis came to power. It appears from reporting and history that the Nazis went on to get overwhelming approval from the population; but as no elections were held, this cannot be regarded as established fact. Who knows how the people would actually have voted if they had had a free choice and had not been intimidated by the totalitarian mechanisms the Nazis put in place? As it was, only a minuscule minority of the bravest stood up and joined the White Rose opposition. The other "bystanders" chose self-preservation and at least minimally cooperated in the Nazi program.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: Didn't do much good, but it was a sign of some integrity.

Since when is short term lip service a sign of integrity?

Touché! But "some" is a vague word. 0.0001% is "some," although Krauthammer wasn't THAT bad.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Seems the tax scam isn't playing as nicely as hoped and the border disaster ain't helping either. Nor is Team Mueller's ongoing fruitful work. For whose arrest will the injured crowds chant now? Hillary again - or still? Any other maligned lady? Migrant kids? Seems besides rising costs and closing/moving companies, not much really changed. Will they notice?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:54 am

Topic moved. Hope nothing fell out.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 am

Now I know wut that blip on my siezmograf wuz.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:34 pm

WTF is a donnydammitdung and can we move it back?
trump is Putin's bitch

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 pm

LOL, started out in HD, decided it was better suited here.
When my son had his barmitzvah, and his wedding, there was no family whatsoever -that’s the way the second and third generation feel the Holocaust, they miss their family. My son hasn’t experienced a family life –having uncles, aunts, grandmothers, grandfathers. There is just that hole.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Probably be banned much like Duke might say HM finest banned and stopped the Pistols playing their songs on a warm night back in Silver Jubbley 1977.

Found it on rodoh...

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 pm

I kinda liked this in HD and I might forget where it is now...

Anyway, I'll get used to it.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm

yeah...that'll change things....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 pm

With Kennedy retiring we are screwed.
When my son had his barmitzvah, and his wedding, there was no family whatsoever -that’s the way the second and third generation feel the Holocaust, they miss their family. My son hasn’t experienced a family life –having uncles, aunts, grandmothers, grandfathers. There is just that hole.
Edith Baneth
Savage Continent

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Consciousness changes things Gorgeous.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:14 pm

This is the proper forum for this thread. Not HD.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 pm

Besides we Brits are well known for mocking bombasts. Change is coming Gorgeous.

It could be anywhere it likes, there was something marvellous about it in HD, like you'd have to really riffle through the filing cabinets to find it.

Darren Wilshak
Regular Poster

Postby Darren Wilshak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:16 pm

But its all cool. All of it.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:41 am

Darren Wilshak wrote:Image

If it's meant to mock him, why did they make it handsomer than the real thing?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:19 am

Let us not forget that Trump is fighting ISIS. The point of that link is to show just how much money Obama was willing to spend for very little military gain. Indeed, was there any gain at all? ISIS will replace 70 fighters that the US (literally, according to the story) liquidated. It won't cost them any trouble. Talk about overkill! And futile overkill!

And one might at least mention that this involved a military attack on a country with which we were not at war. Too trivial to notice, against the other crimes the US has been committing for the last three Presidencies.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:"The Nazis came very close to fulfilling their plan to exterminate an entire people. They were defeated in this regard, not because people awoke to the evil of their purposes, but because the national interests of the Allies themselves were threatened."

Joshua Chasan, "Religion and the Holocaust" in: The Holocaust: Introductory Essays (1996).

Ummm...assuming the people were the Jews....what was the "national interests of the Allies" other than to win WW2? I've read criticism that the Allies could have saved 1000's of Jews had they bombed the rail system more or even the camps themselves, instead of focusing on military targets.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Gord wrote:
Darren Wilshak wrote:Image

If it's meant to mock him, why did they make it handsomer than the real thing?

There is a limit to the malleability of plastic.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Politics and Government”