It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am

scrmbldggs wrote:So does this scumbag. On tax payer's money...
I thought economics was Mnuchin's forte. How did he not know what the Davos meetings were about?
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:. . . my ancestors were neither Quakers nor Calvinists.. . .
My father was an atheist Calvinist; that's some dark {!#%@}.
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
I thought economics was Mnuchin's forte. . . .
I thought Mnuchin's thing was making money. Running a company, working at a bank (even Goldman Sachs as CIO), financing movies, and running hedge funds do not make you an economist.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 pm

I've listened to the audio here (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 764200eaf6) several times and disagree with Gearan when she writes
Listening to the recordings, it is difficult to tell whether Trump said “I” or “I'd.”
More to the point, "I'd" makes no sense in the context. For one thing, Trump never mentions the condition implied by "I'd." Also, you will notice that the White House version cut the audio before Trump wrapped with: "I have relationships with people, I think you people are surprised." He didn't say, "So you see I have some relationships and would have one with Kim too." He simply declared lots of relationships, Xi, Abe, Kim. And then confirmed what he meant when he continued,
WSJ: Just to be clear, you haven’t spoken to the North Korean leader, I mean when you say a relationship with Korea—

Mr. Trump: I don’t want to comment on it—I don’t want to comment, I’m not saying I have or I haven’t. But I just don’t"—
Then again, who cares? Another day in Trumpland, more lies, more gaslighting, more BS . . . it's the baldfaced lying, stupid.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 pm

The best dishonest scumbags, the absolute best, believe me (btw Stormy Davis is busy with other things, or she'd have gotten the job)

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Balmoral95 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Was this posted already?
https://www.axios.com/the-american-blood-nose-1515451409-55312e2d-1861-48fd-9e92-90f21d16c893.html wrote:
U.S. officials are mulling the possibility of launching a military strike against North Korean targets without provoking war on the Korean Peninsula, the Wall Street Journal reports...
:|

Good thing the Dear Leader works only roughly one hour days and retires to his resort on the weekends. Otherwise today's WEA mishap in Hawaii might have had rather far-reaching consequences...
This sounds BS... wishful thinking it might work, maybe. Practically, no... unless we've been fed a bunch of bs for years about NK's capabilities vis a vis SK for eons..
I suspect it may be a charade intended to intimidate NK as it talks with SK. Anyway you look at it, though, it's a dangerous game. I come back to the book by Graham Allison ("Destined for War") that I posted about on the Books Board here. Allison describes how bellicosity between leaders generates a resonant feedback mechanism that eventually triggers a war. Each side thinks its latest move is a "deterrent," but the other side regards it as an "incentive." Each side is amazed that the other side doesn't understand it is only being threatening because it feels threatened. According to Allison, in 16 historical examples that he has analyzed, the result was war in 12 of them.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:I've listened to the audio here (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 764200eaf6) several times and disagree with Gearan when she writes
Listening to the recordings, it is difficult to tell whether Trump said “I” or “I'd.”
More to the point, "I'd" makes no sense in the context. For one thing, Trump never mentions the condition implied by "I'd." Also, you will notice that the White House version cut the audio before Trump wrapped with: "I have relationships with people, I think you people are surprised." He didn't say, "So you see I have some relationships and would have one with Kim too." He simply declared lots of relationships, Xi, Abe, Kim. And then confirmed what he meant when he continued,
WSJ: Just to be clear, you haven’t spoken to the North Korean leader, I mean when you say a relationship with Korea—

Mr. Trump: I don’t want to comment on it—I don’t want to comment, I’m not saying I have or I haven’t. But I just don’t"—
Then again, who cares? Another day in Trumpland, more lies, more gaslighting, more BS . . . it's the baldfaced lying, stupid.
Trump simply doesn't remember which foreign leaders he talked to ... and all Asians are the same to him.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
I thought economics was Mnuchin's forte. How did he not know what the Davos meetings were about?
Of course he's, as usual, lying. Saddest thing is, everyone knows it, and, by now, many no longer give a damn...
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:The best dishonest scumbags, the absolute best, believe me (btw Stormy Davis is busy with other things, or she'd have gotten the job)
Whatever gets them on the government payroll. Ya know, he's a "job creator". Many lawyers are happy, too.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Balmoral95 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Was this posted already?
https://www.axios.com/the-american-blood-nose-1515451409-55312e2d-1861-48fd-9e92-90f21d16c893.html wrote:
U.S. officials are mulling the possibility of launching a military strike against North Korean targets without provoking war on the Korean Peninsula, the Wall Street Journal reports...
:|

Good thing the Dear Leader works only roughly one hour days and retires to his resort on the weekends. Otherwise today's WEA mishap in Hawaii might have had rather far-reaching consequences...
This sounds BS... wishful thinking it might work, maybe. Practically, no... unless we've been fed a bunch of bs for years about NK's capabilities vis a vis SK for eons..
I suspect it may be a charade intended to intimidate NK as it talks with SK. Anyway you look at it, though, it's a dangerous game. I come back to the book by Graham Allison ("Destined for War") that I posted about on the Books Board here. Allison describes how bellicosity between leaders generates a resonant feedback mechanism that eventually triggers a war. Each side thinks its latest move is a "deterrent," but the other side regards it as an "incentive." Each side is amazed that the other side doesn't understand it is only being threatening because it feels threatened. According to Allison, in 16 historical examples that he has analyzed, the result was war in 12 of them.
NY Times piece on just this issue, focusing on a case that didn't result in war, but . . .

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Donald Trump Is A Shape-Shifting Lizard | HuffPost

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../hack ... startling-...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:56 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:The lying weasels Cotton and Perdue, Republican senators, "do not recall . . . specifically" whether Trump called Haiti, El Salvador and all of Africa "shitholes." They won't say he didn't, but they won't say he did, either. Unfortunately for the pair of scumbags, according to TPM,
Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) said Friday that Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-SC), who was in attendance, told him that Trump’s reported comments were “basically accurate.”
And, besides, FOX, gorgeous, and so on are trying to tell us that there's nothing wrong with such name-calling and denigrating language. Even Trump realizes he effed up and thus refuses to fess up - but not gorgeous, FOX and assorted cretins, they are down with such insults.
Today on ABC’s “This Week With George Stephanopoulos” Perdue changed his story, now recalling "specifically" that Trump did not, he claims, use the word shithole: “I’m telling you he did not use that word, George.” I get it: first Perdue can't recall "specifically" what Trump said and didn't say, now he recalls "specifically" what Trump said and didn't say. Just pick whichever version suits you and run with it.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm

It had been pointed out that by not denying it, they kinda affirmed it...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Oh, they affirmed, believe me, they affirmed. Now they deny, but they affirmed.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm

They have taken their lessons from Sessions.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 pm

According to Trump's defenders and assorted chuckle-heads, there's nothing wrong with his having called, say, Ghana, a shithole country. Who wants to live in Ghana? they ask, thinking that they have a point.

Now today other Trump defenders - Perdue and Cotton - have recovered their bearings sufficiently to start the serous gaslighting, Cotton now telling CBS, "I certainly didn’t hear what Sen. Durbin has said repeatedly. Sen. Durbin has a history of misrepresenting what happens in White House meetings, though, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised by that. . . . I didn’t hear it. . . . I know what Dick Durbin has said about the president's repeated statements is incorrect.”

Cotton and Perdue have gotten their talking points straight, finally, Perdue also having said today on ABC that Durbin has a history of "gross misrepresentation" of facts: "It’s not the first time Senator Durbin has done it, and it is not productive to solving the problem we’re having."

All of which is so confusing: I thought I heard somewhere that there's nothing wrong with Trump calling all of Africa a "shithole."

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:58 pm

it's called honesty...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:According to Trump's defenders and assorted chuckle-heads, there's nothing wrong with his having called, say, Ghana, a shithole country. Who wants to live in Ghana? they ask, thinking that they have a point.

Now today other Trump defenders - Perdue and Cotton - have recovered their bearings sufficiently to start the serous gaslighting, Cotton now telling CBS, "I certainly didn’t hear what Sen. Durbin has said repeatedly. Sen. Durbin has a history of misrepresenting what happens in White House meetings, though, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised by that. . . . I didn’t hear it. . . . I know what Dick Durbin has said about the president's repeated statements is incorrect.”

Cotton and Perdue have gotten their talking points straight, finally, Perdue also having said today on ABC that Durbin has a history of "gross misrepresentation" of facts: "It’s not the first time Senator Durbin has done it, and it is not productive to solving the problem we’re having."

All of which is so confusing: I thought I heard somewhere that there's nothing wrong with Trump calling all of Africa a "shithole."
Other members of Trump's evangelical advisory board have also defended his remarks. Pastor Robert Jeffress said on Friday Trump was "right on target" when he made the remarks.
I found that^ where I found georgie. I didn't know he was a "pastor". :-P

ETA It’s weird that people in the room don’t remember Trump using that word when Trump himself was calling friends to brag about it afterwards. I spoke to one of those friends. The President thought it would play well with the base.
— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) January 14, 2018

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... out-s-hole

and: "Cotton and Perdue have gotten their talking points straight, finally, Perdue also having said today on ABC that Durbin has a history of "gross misrepresentation" of facts: "It’s not the first time Senator Durbin has done it, and it is not productive to solving the problem we’re having."" - What did they have to say about Graham, who, AFAIK, also confirmed it?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Schumer speaks up but still no word from McTurtle. He probably doesn't want to put his Medicaid "victory" into jeopardy...

ETA For those who haven't read it.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
ETA For those who haven't read it.

I’ve swung back into the “give the people what they voted for” camp. The good people of Kentucky voted in Republicans as majorities in both their houses and elected a Republican Governor. Give them what they want.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Steph Hamill (whoever that is...) ain't getting what she wants from Joy Reid. :lol: (Vid might disappear, watch it while it's hot.)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm

However, I really wish the press would stop talking about him and only talk about the krap that's caused and going on. That'd make his head asplode and make him go over the edge of no return. (Even if his Repulsive toadies would try to catch the fall.)

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm

He may hav sed '{!#%@}house', rather than hole according to 1 attendee at the meeting.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm looking forward to the first day of no mention of anything Dump anywhere.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:According to Trump's defenders and assorted chuckle-heads, there's nothing wrong with his having called, say, Ghana, a shithole country. Who wants to live in Ghana? they ask, thinking that they have a point.

There has never been a shortage of toadies willing to lie blatantly to support Trump. Gen. Kelly comes to mind, the man whose multiple lies were blown out by videotape, but then doubled down and refused to admit he had lied.

There cannot be any doubt here. Lindsey Graham could easily have said that he didn't hear such language, but he refrained from making that denial. There is no possible motive for him to refuse to deny what Durbin is saying, and yet he did refuse to deny it. Case closed.

And in the case of Cotton and Perdue, we've got an attempt to smear Durbin without citing any specific instances where he has lied in the past, just a general swipe saying he "has a history" of misrepresentation. These guys are truly scum. Will Fox News back them up? Of course, it goes without saying.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Perspective
According to the Buzzfeed News report, the Haitian government complained in the 1980s that former dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier laundered money stolen from the Caribbean nation’s treasury by purchasing an apartment in Trump Tower.

Duvalier, nicknamed “Baby Doc,” was overthrown in 1986, but three years earlier used a Panamanian shell company called Lasa Trade and Finance to buy apartment 54-K in Trump’s Manhattan tower for $446,875 cash.

Trump, the future U.S. president, signed the deed of sale.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 pm

After all, it's just some (obscure) island in the Pacific Ocean...
Following the frightening announcement in Hawaii on Saturday morning, the president was reportedly advised about what was going on, but chose to continue to play golf instead of, at the very least, attempting to quell the panic by using his heavily followed Twitter account to dispute the warning.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:. . . And in the case of Cotton . . .
"Tom Cotton and the era of post-truth politics" (The MaddowBlog, 26 September 2014)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:09 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I'm looking forward to the first day of no mention of anything Dump anywhere.

That will make me very happy.
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:. . . And in the case of Cotton . . .
"Tom Cotton and the era of post-truth politics" (The MaddowBlog, 26 September 2014)
Here’s a good Mormon for you:
Romney, confronted with proof that he was lying, would repeat the claim anyway, convinced that it didn’t matter whether he told the truth or not.
Rejecting criticism of its latest TV ad, Republican Senate hopeful Tom Cotton plans to keep running the “Farm Bill” message beyond its current ad buy.

“We’ve gotten such great feedback from farmers, taxpayers, and supporters that we’re actually going to increase the size of the ad buy,” said David Ray, a spokesman for the Cotton campaign.
In a local interview this week, Cotton said he’s “proud” of his demonstrably dishonest commercial, adding that the fact-checkers didn’t spend time “growing up on a farm,” so he knows “a little bill more about farming than they do.”

As defenses go, Cotton’s argument is gibberish. One need not grow up on a farm to recognize the basic tenets of reality. The congressman told a lie, he knew it was a lie, he got caught telling a lie, and instead of doing the honorable thing, Cotton has decided he likes this lie.
Trump learned this lesson well.

It doesn’t matter now if a politician lies through his teeth, they lack the shame to care if they are caught because their supporters will ignore the fact that they lied. It’s the message conveyed by the lie, not that the message is a lie to start with.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:21 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:After all, it's just some (obscure) island in the Pacific Ocean...
Following the frightening announcement in Hawaii on Saturday morning, the president was reportedly advised about what was going on, but chose to continue to play golf instead of, at the very least, attempting to quell the panic by using his heavily followed Twitter account to dispute the warning.
Philip Bump of WaPo on the Orange Monstrosity's response to the Hawaii panic: "The false alarm in Hawaii revealed an abdication of leadership by Trump":
This is not a high hurdle for a president to face. Should a state be informed that a missile is inbound, it seems self-evident that the president should be made aware of this as rapidly as possible — even if golfing — and act quickly to confirm or rebut the claim. To then quickly inform the public that the story is not true and insist that a review will be undertaken nationally to prevent such a thing from happening again. Perhaps a photo of the president, stern look on his face, speaking with the governor of Hawaii.

An assurance that the government recognizes that a mistake was made and that it is handling things. That didn’t happen.
White House response: It was Hawaii's fault, not Trump's. Trump's first tweet after the panic: "So much Fake News is being reported. They don’t even try to get it right, or correct it when they are wrong. They promote the Fake Book of a mentally deranged author, who knowingly writes false information. The Mainstream Media is crazed that WE won the election!"

Bump's conclusion?
The result is that there was actually one message Trump sent to Hawaiians on Saturday.

You’re on your own.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 pm

currently, as of 5:11pm CST, whoisgarylee leads 146,224 to 130,593

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 pm

DJT, 11 January 2017 on the global impact of his presidency: “all countries will respect us far more, far more, than they do under past administrations.”

Der Spiegel, today:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:34 pm

nice human interests story above re who is gary lee: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... f73c6e7978

but.....I do wonder what did Obama "do" regarding Korea? In eight years.....nothing that I know of. Don't know what he could have should have done? In a vaccum, use some of his Korean and Chinese skills to get China to actually bring NK to heel?

Interesting situation there. WHY don't China and Russia feel at all threatened by NK nukes? Any reasonable person should be............but the objective evidence says no. Its a burden living in a world where most people disagree with me.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:58 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...WHY don't China and Russia feel at all threatened by NK nukes? Any reasonable person should be............but the objective evidence says no...
Because the lard(s) giveth and taketh away... props

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Are you sure you want this, folks? I'm all for it . . .
Comment below:
Will there be any of those signature Trump Nuremberg rallies?
:lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 am

Frasca!!!!

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 am

Anus Mouth, tonight: “. . . I‘m not a racist. I‘m the least racist person you will ever interview.”

Phew. I am so relieved.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 am

Warmed up from the campaign, where he must have said exactly that a hundred or so times... no, he is not racist, just like he is, like, smart.