Does Romney have Asperger Syndrome?

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Does Romney have Asperger Syndrome?

Postby Chachacha » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:01 am

I've heard people speculate that Romney has Asperger Syndrome: any opinions from people who have Asperger's or love someone who has Asperger's or who is otherwise knowledgeable on the subject?

I don't know if he has Asperger's, and I never thought about it before i heard others speculate. I thought he was a profoundly unsophisticated man, who suffered from arrested emotional and social development from having been born into a wealthy family in which he never suffered any negative consequences for his actions.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Does Romney have Asperger Syndrome?

Postby fromthehills » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:10 am

Well, as a carpenter, seeing him on television, I've diagnosed him as a sociopath. Which Aspergers folks seem to resemble sociopathic stuff , in ways. My stepson may be on some spectrum of Aspergers. I doubt it, but I'm out voted. My brother did meth for years, he is off for many years now, but he is also emotionally unattached. Ron Jonson has also influenced my opinion with his book.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:42 am

Anyone that gets into politics I put in the "{!#%@} In The Head And Corrupt" bucket.

It seems to be apt.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:06 am

Wutever he haz, it makes him an ass burger!

Dismiester Romneyz latest accomplishments at the Olympics are amazing. The media keep harping on hiz comments about London being unprepared, but the most amazing to me iz wut he sed about hiz wifes horse being in the competition.

He sed he 'iznt going to watch it' 'I dont even know wen thats happening' :shock:

Plain and simple - thats astounding. I am not a normal person. I dont relate to regular people very well. People seem to know I'm not like them within minits. But even to me, that statement iz an obvious social blunder on level with peeling your mask off to reveal that youre a V lizard alien infiltrator!

I dont know how Brian Williamz kept a strate face after that or why the rest uv the newz media, Jon Stewart, Letterman etc. havent jumped all over that. Maybe it iz just too freeking far out and went over their hedz. Maybe you hav to be at least az far out az me to be able to understand how far out it iz.

Can you even imajin saying to your wife or huzband 'O, you made to the Olympics? Thats nice dear. Sorry I dont really care to go."

Can you even imajin saying to any athlete that qualified thru outstanding talent and yirz uv hard work 'Olympics? Big deal. My wife's in it and its uv so little importance to me that even tho I will be in London at the time, I wont bother to attend her competition. Olympics Schmolympics!'

Duz he think he needz to downplay the rich guy thing az much az possible and that attending the event will hurt hiz painstakingly crafted regular guy image?

Seriously, my mind iz boggled.

Its gotta be sum sorta mental thing like Asburgerz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_eEGUorUsc

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Martin Brock » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 pm

That someone believes Romney exhibits some syndrome like Asperger's or sociopathology doesn't surprise me. That anyone believes that Romney exhibits this sort of syndrome and Obama does not (or vice versa) is incredibly surprising.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:14 pm

What people have speculated that Romney has Asperger's Syndrome, mental health professionals?

As for him mentioning the security issue at the Olympics, who cares? He was asked a question and he gave an honest answer. The less politicians pander, the better.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Martin Brock » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:22 pm

The politicians fart the better, but if you expect politicians to stop farting, you're out of touch with reality.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:42 pm

RubyHypatia wrote:What people have speculated that Romney has Asperger's Syndrome, mental health professionals?

As for him mentioning the security issue at the Olympics, who cares? He was asked a question and he gave an honest answer. The less politicians pander, the better.

Oh my god, you dare to use "the less politicians pander" in defense of Romney!!!

:lol: Oh, Ruby, that's rich!

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Chachacha wrote:I've heard people speculate that Romney has Asperger Syndrome: any opinions from people who have Asperger's or love someone who has Asperger's or who is otherwise knowledgeable on the subject?

I don't know if he has Asperger's, and I never thought about it before i heard others speculate. I thought he was a profoundly unsophisticated man, who suffered from arrested emotional and social development from having been born into a wealthy family in which he never suffered any negative consequences for his actions.

I doubt he "has" Asperger's Syndrome, partly because I doubt remote diagnosis, and partly because I know people who "have" it. In general I think it's too easy to assign a diagnosis to people, just as I think it's too easy to assign labels to people--I suppose it is a human passion for categorization.

Anyway, here's the proposed DSM-V entry for Asperger's Syndrome:

http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevision/pa ... spx?rid=94

Note that it now falls under "autism spectrum disorder."
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:05 pm

I said, "The less politicians pander, the better." I didn't say, "I expect politicians to not pander." That would be asking too much. Please pay better attention to what I say. And speaking of pandering, who was it who just recently decided gay marriage was OK now that an election is approaching?

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:33 pm

RubyHypatia wrote:I said, "The less politicians pander, the better." I didn't say, "I expect politicians to not pander." That would be asking too much. Please pay better attention to what I say. And speaking of pandering, who was it who just recently decided gay marriage was OK now that an election is approaching?

I didn't say you expected politicians not to pander, nor did I imply it. Please pay better attention to my comments. ;)

I believe President Obama has been been honest, and I'm thrilled that he has personally evolved on the subject of equality for same gender couples from "separate but equal" - which never is - to "equal". It's a step forward.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:21 pm

JO 753 wrote:Wutever he haz, it makes him an ass burger!

Dismiester Romneyz latest accomplishments at the Olympics are amazing. The media keep harping on hiz comments about London being unprepared, but the most amazing to me iz wut he sed about hiz wifes horse being in the competition.

He sed he 'iznt going to watch it' 'I dont even know wen thats happening' :shock:

Plain and simple - thats astounding. I am not a normal person. I dont relate to regular people very well. People seem to know I'm not like them within minits. But even to me, that statement iz an obvious social blunder on level with peeling your mask off to reveal that youre a V lizard alien infiltrator!

I dont know how Brian Williamz kept a strate face after that or why the rest uv the newz media, Jon Stewart, Letterman etc. havent jumped all over that. Maybe it iz just too freeking far out and went over their hedz. Maybe you hav to be at least az far out az me to be able to understand how far out it iz.

Can you even imajin saying to your wife or huzband 'O, you made to the Olympics? Thats nice dear. Sorry I dont really care to go."

Can you even imajin saying to any athlete that qualified thru outstanding talent and yirz uv hard work 'Olympics? Big deal. My wife's in it and its uv so little importance to me that even tho I will be in London at the time, I wont bother to attend her competition. Olympics Schmolympics!'

Duz he think he needz to downplay the rich guy thing az much az possible and that attending the event will hurt hiz painstakingly crafted regular guy image?

Seriously, my mind iz boggled.

Its gotta be sum sorta mental thing like Asburgerz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_eEGUorUsc

I hadn't heard/read his comments before reading your post, JO. I read a few articles, and what makes it even odder is that they share an enjoyment of horses and horse riding; and although he wants to appear that he has nothing to do with dressage, it's reported that he chose the music for one of the dressage routines in previous competions. :?

Maybe this is his effort to connect with male voters who roll their eyes at their wives' "hobby"?

Reminds me of a wealthy man I knew saying, "Yeah, my wife's an R.N. ... she only works part-time because she likes it ... doesn't make much money, costs me more than she makes, AND it's just enough to put me in a higher tax bracket".

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Cha, it was Martin who implied, with some sort of fart analogy, I expected politicians not to pander.

As for Obama's gay marriage stance, yes, he's right now. But either he was pandering to black people by being against it, or he's pandering to gays for being for it.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:48 pm

RubyHypatia wrote:Cha, it was Martin who implied, with some sort of fart analogy, I expected politicians not to pander.

Ohhh, that explains it! :)

RubyHypatia wrote: As for Obama's gay marriage stance, yes, he's right now. But either he was pandering to black people by being against it, or he's pandering to gays for being for it.

I think he has been honest about his personal beliefs on same-gender marriage.

We agree that he's moving toward the right side on this issue. I hope he evolves some more and realizes it's a civil rights issue which should be addressed on a Federal level.

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:53 pm

I don't think Romney has Aspergers. I think he suffer from the Marie Antoinette syndrome, you know Cha, the disconnect from the majority of the working class Americans. This guy has no idea how at least half of all the Americans live. And he seems to have a lot of plain old contempt for these people. If he talks stupid it's because he is used to this type of a talk at his country clubs with his equally clueless buddies. The most super rich do indeed have a different consciousness from other ordinary people. It's the ignorance and the arrogance of extreme wealth you know, those private schools, planes, clubs, chefs, guards, nobody says no to them. People's despair, hunger, poverty and just plain daily lives leave them unmoved, let them eat the cake. They can't? it's their own fault, Romney can eat the cake, it's easy.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Chachacha wrote:Reminds me of a wealthy man I knew saying, "Yeah, my wife's an R.N. ... she only works part-time because she likes it ... doesn't make much money, costs me more than she makes, AND it's just enough to put me in a higher tax bracket".

:lol:

So, wut richez did she gain frum this? A new Cadilac? Diamond necklace? :lol:
Last edited by JO 753 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Chachacha » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:16 am

Flash wrote:I don't think Romney has Aspergers. I think he suffer from the Marie Antoinette syndrome, you know Cha, the disconnect from the majority of the working class Americans. This guy has no idea how at least half of all the Americans live. And he seems to have a lot of plain old contempt for these people. If he talks stupid it's because he is used to this type of a talk at his country clubs with his equally clueless buddies. The most super rich do indeed have a different consciousness from other ordinary people. It's the ignorance and the arrogance of extreme wealth you know, those private schools, planes, clubs, chefs, guards, nobody says no to them. People's despair, hunger, poverty and just plain daily lives leave them unmoved, let them eat the cake. They can't? it's their own fault, Romney can eat the cake, it's easy.

I agree, Flash.

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Postby Bunyip » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:56 am

Interesting. I'd never thought about it; I don't spend a lot of time thinking about American politicians. (I'm too busy worrying about the incompetents stuffing up my own country)

My perception of Romney has been that he is a rich, ruthless businessman who belongs to a weird cult.

My impression is that he would not recognise an 'ordinary American' if one set firer to his magic underwear.

OK, he's an insensitive anal sphincter. That just makes him a fairly stereotypical big businessman and politician,not necessarily clinically unwell. I've always thought sociopaths can make effective politicians,which is what I want,rather than a charming,brilliant orator who accomplishes bugger all
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 am

Bunyip wrote:My perception of Romney has been that he is a rich, ruthless businessman who belongs to a weird cult.

My impression is that he would not recognise an 'ordinary American' if one set firer to his magic underwear.

That worries me...

In Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith reiterated Joseph Smith’s original doctrine, “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man …”, and instructed that “… You have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you …”

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Postby Donnageddon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:41 am

What? Romney hates asparagus? I love asparagus.

I knew I disliked him for more than his nebulous, and batshit crazy foreign and domestic policies!
My name is not Donna.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:01 pm

I don't believe for a second Obama's change of stance on gay marriage wasn't politically motivated. The timing is highly suspicious.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:07 pm

RubyHypatia wrote:I don't believe for a second Obama's change of stance on gay marriage wasn't politically motivated. The timing is highly suspicious.

I don't believe for a second that it's a bad thing, whatever the motivation. Besides, if it actually gains more votes than it loses, it means the country is finally moving forward.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeah, Obama feels our pain, unlike the filthy rich Romney. Meanwhile GDP growth went down to 1.5%. I'm reminded of an episode of House when he asked if you'd rather have a doctor with a great bedside manner who can't cure you or a doctor with a crappy bedside manner who cures you.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:08 pm

fromthehills wrote:
RubyHypatia wrote:I don't believe for a second Obama's change of stance on gay marriage wasn't politically motivated. The timing is highly suspicious.

I don't believe for a second that it's a bad thing, whatever the motivation. Besides, if it actually gains more votes than it loses, it means the country is finally moving forward.

Not economically.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:10 am

Ruby, if you've read anything I've posted, you'd know I'm not a liberal. But I like to think, whether it's true or not, that I look at things with a little common sense. I honestly don't get anything you say. You seem to come at it with Tea Party catch phrases, but fail to persuade my thinking with any logical argument. I almost want to vote Obama, just out of disagreeing with you. Can you state one reason why Romney would be a better choice than Obama? A true reason, that is actually not written by an old white guy that has been out of touch with reality since the original Tea Party?

Romney is a joke. We have no real candidate that I'd be thrilled to fill the little circle for. But at least Barack isn't poking Michelle through a hole in the sheet. At least they are rational.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 am

More likely Tourette syndrome.

In the news ... Mr Romney also referred to Jerusalem as Israel's "capital" - senior Palestinian officials said this was "unacceptable".

He does tend to make inappropriate noises at the most inconvenient times.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:44 am

RubyHypatia wrote:Yeah, Obama feels our pain, unlike the filthy rich Romney. Meanwhile GDP growth went down to 1.5%. I'm reminded of an episode of House when he asked if you'd rather have a doctor with a great bedside manner who can't cure you or a doctor with a crappy bedside manner who cures you.

Your choice is between a dr. with a good bedside manner who won't cure you, and a dr. with a crappy bedside manner who will make you worse.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:21 am

Fromthehills, if it were up to me, Ron Paul would be the Republican candidate. My vote will be an anti-Obama vote. Why? Because he sucks as a president. The debt is rising even faster than it did under Bush, a big spending Republican. The unemployment rate actually went up, and the GDP growth rate has slowed. So why shouldn't I give a new guy a shot? Because he has a batshit crazy religion? So did JFK, Carter, Bush, etc. And either Obama also has a batshit crazy religion, or he used religion for political purposes.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:16 am

RubyHypatia wrote:Fromthehills, if it were up to me, Ron Paul would be the Republican candidate. My vote will be an anti-Obama vote. Why? Because he sucks as a president. The debt is rising even faster than it did under Bush, a big spending Republican. The unemployment rate actually went up, and the GDP growth rate has slowed. So why shouldn't I give a new guy a shot? Because he has a batshit crazy religion? So did JFK, Carter, Bush, etc. And either Obama also has a batshit crazy religion, or he used religion for political purposes.

Ruby, not just a batshit crazy religion like the others but a batshit crazy cult.

http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/taxonomy/term/40

and:

http://www.mormonthink.com/lying.htm

Joseph Smith was comfortable using deception when it suited him. He wove it into the fabric of Mormonism as a way of dealing with those who questioned his authority or who reported his deception or tasteless behavior. Excellent historical works record Smith's deception and the deception of other LDS leaders."

"A prominent feature of Mormonism is that loyalty trumps honesty."

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:00 am

RubyHypatia wrote:So why shouldn't I give a new guy a shot? Because he has a batshit crazy religion? So did JFK, Carter, Bush, etc. And either Obama also has a batshit crazy religion, or he used religion for political purposes.

Ruby's logic is interesting. Let's not worry about Stalin's weird cult if Stalin is the man to fix the economy. Stalin won wars, reduced Russia's unemployment and made Russia a superpower! Who cares if he is a communist or has Swiss bank accounts.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Chachacha wrote:I've heard people speculate that Romney has Asperger Syndrome: any opinions from people who have Asperger's or love someone who has Asperger's or who is otherwise knowledgeable on the subject?

This sounds like somebody made it out of whole cloth. Watch this:

Is Romney secretly a Satanist?

See how easy it is?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:29 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
RubyHypatia wrote:Fromthehills, if it were up to me, Ron Paul would be the Republican candidate. My vote will be an anti-Obama vote. Why? Because he sucks as a president. The debt is rising even faster than it did under Bush, a big spending Republican. The unemployment rate actually went up, and the GDP growth rate has slowed. So why shouldn't I give a new guy a shot? Because he has a batshit crazy religion? So did JFK, Carter, Bush, etc. And either Obama also has a batshit crazy religion, or he used religion for political purposes.

Ruby, not just a batshit crazy religion like the others but a batshit crazy cult.

http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/taxonomy/term/40

and:

http://www.mormonthink.com/lying.htm

Joseph Smith was comfortable using deception when it suited him. He wove it into the fabric of Mormonism as a way of dealing with those who questioned his authority or who reported his deception or tasteless behavior. Excellent historical works record Smith's deception and the deception of other LDS leaders."

"A prominent feature of Mormonism is that loyalty trumps honesty."

Interesting stuff. I can't speak to how fact based it is, but interesting all the same.

My wife has family that were involved with Mormons. The guy was a lawyer that spent his career hiding hiding Mormons' money from the Mormon Church. Made a fortune. His wife would help Mormon women escape polygamist marriages, almost like an underground railroad.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm

What's the difference between a religion and a cult? 200 years.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:22 pm

RubyHypatia wrote:What's the difference between a religion and a cult? 200 years.

And size!

Otherwise, nothing whatsoever.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Romney belongs to a religion/cult, however one wants to look at it, that now does not publicly endorse marrying 12yo girls to old men in multiples, but it's still in practice. The oppression and brainwashing of women is still alive and well in Utah in the name of the Mormon cult. A guy that isn't repulsed by that, and even contributes to their cause, isn't a guy that I'd want to be at the helm.

The Mormons have a history of oppression of women that borders on slavery, racism, and shun any member that questions the morality of the Church. By shun, I mean they completely cut one off from all their friends and family. As a Mormon, Romney's loyalty lies with the Church. What would be possible for an already powerful organization if they have one of their own as POTUS? I understand that the POTUS isn't all powerful in our system, thankfully, but still.

The issues that you are angry at Obama for, Ruby, are almost fully out of the power of the President's office to do anything about. A President cannot force companies to hire more people in a free society. He can't rule that companies keep employees when they don't have the work for them, or when it's not economically feasible to keep them on the payroll. He has influence. He can sign tax breaks for small businesses, or big, if Congress passes them, but this Congress can't agree with one another to get anything done. The President is a public servant, not a dictator.

Still, the only reason I will even vote is in hope that a batshit nuts supporter of a misogynist, and oppressive cult doesn't make President. A guy that can be labeled "Mitt the Twit" in British news, and rightfully so, or proclaim Jerusalem the capital of Israel, shouldn't be in charge of our foreign policy.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 pm

JFK's religion was pretty involved with witchburnings, crusades, and murdering heathens. How anyone could be a Catholic after studying the history of the Catholic Church is beyond me. If being religious is a bad quality in Republicans, shouldn't it be the same for Democrats?

As for the economy, the president and congress can relax regulations on businesses, lower taxes, and shrink the government.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:39 pm

fromthehills wrote:A guy that isn't repulsed by that, and even contributes to their cause, isn't a guy that I'd want to be at the helm.

It would seem simply not caring is a prominent feature of his church.

Mormon Church owns one of most active gun sale sites on web, according to Mayor Bloomberg report
http://culteducation.com/group/1057-the ... eport.html

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2012/07 ... n-america/ This newer article features a comment by them about it...

[edit to add: I am not against legal and responsible gun ownership, this is about them apparently dancing to their own (and often illegal) tune until caught and corrected by society - and even then their compliance often seems to be lacking]
(second edit to add "apparently" and "seems to be" - as I can only refer to what I find on sites such as mormonthink.com and others)
(third edit add link to first article - fourth: exchanged said link)
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:08 pm

RubyHypatia wrote:As for the economy, the president and congress can relax regulations on businesses, lower taxes, and shrink the government.

Why would you want a bad situation made worse? :?

Too little regulation got you in this mess. Taxes are too low now, or doesn't a $trillion deficit mean anything to you? Do you honestly think that putting more tax free money in the hands of the wealthy is going to help the economy? There is already tens of $trillions available for constructive investment that is tied up in profitable but useless-to-the-economy type investments (derivatives, among many other things). Do you really think that abandoning the poorest 30% - 40% of Americans will make the economy boom? (The only things the Republicans will agree to cut are programs which help the poorest Americans. Nothing else.)

Shrinking government always means laying off a lot of people. Even cutting back significantly on defence spending would result in massive layoffs. Any process of shrinking government must be done gradually if it is not to wreck the economy. Your economy is in a shambles (bouncing along on the bottom). Cutting anything of significance would mean more shambles, not less. Don't you read the news from Europe? Austerity is killing them.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:29 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
RubyHypatia wrote:As for the economy, the president and congress can relax regulations on businesses, lower taxes, and shrink the government.

Why would you want a bad situation made worse? :?

Too little regulation got you in this mess. Taxes are too low now, or doesn't a $trillion deficit mean anything to you? Do you honestly think that putting more tax free money in the hands of the wealthy is going to help the economy? There is already tens of $trillions available for constructive investment that is tied up in profitable but useless-to-the-economy type investments (derivatives, among many other things). Do you really think that abandoning the poorest 30% - 40% of Americans will make the economy boom? (The only things the Republicans will agree to cut are programs which help the poorest Americans. Nothing else.)

Shrinking government always means laying off a lot of people. Even cutting back significantly on defence spending would result in massive layoffs. Any process of shrinking government must be done gradually if it is not to wreck the economy. Your economy is in a shambles (bouncing along on the bottom). Cutting anything of significance would mean more shambles, not less. Don't you read the news from Europe? Austerity is killing them.

From what I understand, you are about in line with Paul Krugman. To be honest, I'm not smart enough to argue.

RubyHypatia
Frequent Poster

Postby RubyHypatia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Too little regulation got us into this mess? No, overregulation did that. The government shouldn't have been pressuring banks to give out risky loans. And letting the rich keep more of THEIR OWN MONEY would help the economy. Also, I'm all for gradually shrinking government.

Return to “Politics and Government”