Welcome To The Skeptics Society Forum!

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Dr-Pen

Re: Welcome To The Skeptics Society Forum!

Postby Dr-Pen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:45 am

Hello everyone,

I used to be on the JREF forums a long, long time ago. About 10 years at least, and was not a frequent poster (about 100 threads & replies in total, last I can remember).

I'm a BS graduate in accounting, currently unemployed. I run a few online art stores, dabbled in languages, listening to creepypastas, reading and exercising. I'm a bit of a deist but leaning towards apatheist.

Looking forward to living on my own.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi Dr Pen. Welcome aboard. :D

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Yup. But plz watch it...

Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 pm

:wave: welcome to weirdsville.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:10 am

Greetings, fellow skeptics...

I found you folks during a Google search researching mass disappearances for a short story and, after spending an hour reading various posts, became entranced with the level of research and the humor. So here I am!

I guess I would characterize myself a diehard skeptic. If it can't be proven, I don't believe in it. I'm an atheist, but not a rabid one (meaning I won't attempt to force my lack of belief on anyone as long as they don't attempt to force their beliefs onto me). I don't believe in the paranormal, the supernatural, cryptozoology, fortune telling of any type, non-fact based medicine, honest politicians, or mythology.

I absolutely do allow that there are questions for which we do not yet have answers; I just feel no need to allocate ridiculous answers to them, just to have those questions answered. So, hopefully, that explains my viewpoint. Nice place you have here!

Nikki :D
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 am

Hi Nikki. :wave: (I like how you cog your cons. :lol:)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:11 am

LunaNik wrote:Greetings, fellow skeptics...

I found you folks during a Google search researching mass disappearances for a short story
Yeah that was odd. We had two million members last week and now......there's only a handful of us left.

Welcome aboard.
:D

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:00 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:We had two million members last week and now......there's only a handful of us left.

Must've been that Skeptics' Society Forum Bermuda Triangle Cruise I just missed. ;)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Luna... since you enjoy humor, please post a few jokes in that thread. `Tings been way too seriously lately. :mrgreen:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:58 am

Hello, and allow me to apologise in advance for whatever happens next. :wave:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:21 am

TJrandom wrote:Hi Luna... since you enjoy humor, please post a few jokes in that thread. `Tings been way too seriously lately. :mrgreen:

Can't have that. I will offer fair warning, though...I'm an unapologetic paronomasiac. :heh:

Gord wrote:Hello, and allow me to apologise in advance for whatever happens next.

No worries! I'm not at all a typical American; I'm not easily offended. :D Also, I drink real beer and ale. Promise not to tell on me? In this political climate, I might end up in Guantanamo.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:17 am

I'll let you live... For now.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:24 pm

:ahoy:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm

LunaNik wrote:... Also, I drink real beer and ale ...

One does not drink real beer and ale. One quaffs.
Other than that, welcome and have a great time :oldman:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:56 pm

The most important thing about this person's mindset is, Why are beer and ale separate things?

What about lager?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Poodle wrote:
LunaNik wrote:... Also, I drink real beer and ale ...

One does not drink real beer and ale. One quaffs.
Other than that, welcome and have a great time :oldman:

Sorry, I thought "quaffing" was when most of it missed your mouth. :D

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:The most important thing about this person's mindset is, Why are beer and ale separate things?

What about lager?

It's all in how it's made. Ale and lager are both beers, but brewed from different yeasts. Ale yeast is heartier and capable of making a higher ABV product. Lager yeast is more delicate, but can work at cooler temperatures and ferment one of the grain's sugars. So they are actually different products. Different grains, add-ins, and fermentations produce different styles: porter, shandy, stout, IPA, etc. Now you probably know more than you wanted to...lol.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Lookout, lads! We've got a lively one!

So, if I drew a circle and called it "beer", would ale fall within or without?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Probably depends on how much of it you had.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Let's assume spill-proof containers, for the sake of argument.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Lookout, lads! We've got a lively one!

You aren`t supposed to drink so much that you fall in, or out. And, NO - you are not a spill-proof container.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Lookout, lads! We've got a lively one!

Technically within. Casually, you should be slapped silly for wasting ale. You're supposed to drink it. :nownow:

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Do I spy another homebrew enthusiast?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Nah, the true connoisseur just knows that adding rice and/or sugar to the brew ain't real beer! It ain't wort it...
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Hey, hey, hey, hey. Shtop it. OK? This is the entrance exam. We don't know if they're lizard people impersonators, or wot. Let me handle this...

*focuses* Now. Is ale beer, or isitsnot?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:56 pm

So, you're having trouble focusing, and you missed the fact that I already answered your question. Clearly, you're not an ale-waster. :yahoo: I retract the slapping remark and proffer a humorous beer anecdote.

I was out and about of an evening with a friend and we stopped at a local dive for cocktails. Naturally, I ordered a pint of ale, such as it is in the US. We chanced to run into mutual friends, a married couple. I sat to converse with the wife, noting that she was drinking Rocky Mountain urine, also known as Coors Light. Caught up in her storytelling, she accidentally picked up my pint and took a healthy swig. The blood drained from her face and she gasped, "Omigod, what is that?" To which I replied, "That's hops, sweetheart; it's what beer is made from." :mrgreen:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:23 am

TJrandom wrote:You aren`t supposed to drink so much that you fall in, or out.

Ah, you're not Canadian.

If you haven't fallen out of the kayak, you haven't had enough yet.
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:30 am

LunaNik wrote: To which I replied, "That's hops, sweetheart; it's what beer is made from." :mrgreen:

Two things mark a poor beer to me: too watery and tasteless (most American beers even worse than Coors...but yes, including Coors) ........ and too hoppy. Like wine: I find the "best" beer to be a 50/50 of a dark amber with a hoppy. Almost doesn't matter what the Mother and Father are. The kids are alright. Wine snobs: always amazed at the result. Beer drinkers: always happy with it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:00 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
LunaNik wrote: To which I replied, "That's hops, sweetheart; it's what beer is made from." :mrgreen:

Two things mark a poor beer to me: too watery and tasteless (most American beers even worse than Coors...but yes, including Coors) ........ and too hoppy. Like wine: I find the "best" beer to be a 50/50 of a dark amber with a hoppy. Almost doesn't matter what the Mother and Father are. The kids are alright. Wine snobs: always amazed at the result. Beer drinkers: always happy with it.

I agree with you. Watery and tasteless...I can't be bothered. That lets out all mass marketed American beer and all "light" beer. I also dislike too hoppy, and tend to avoid IPAs for that reason. Otherwise, I enjoy nearly every type from a summer shandy to the darkest porter. I recently sampled a lovely coffee stout that I honestly could enjoy with breakfast, although it would have to be a fairly hearty breakfast to hold its own.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:02 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Hey, hey, hey, hey. Shtop it. OK? This is the entrance exam. We don't know if they're lizard people impersonators, or wot. Let me handle this...

*focuses* Now. Is ale beer, or isitsnot?

The infamous "they" say a picture paints a thousand words. I'm posting the link instead of the actual image because it's rather large. http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/poster_beer_1300.jpg

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 am

Also a big gulp

Spoiler:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:32 am

G'day All
Just want to say hello. I'm an atheist and a skeptic. Suppose that should go without saying considering I've joined this forum. Well maybe not the atheist bit, but then as a skeptic how could I believe in a god or some deity? Have yet to see any proof that a god or some other "supreme" being exists.

Currently reading a book titled "The Jesus Mysteries". A fascinating read. Quite frankly, I find it hard to understand how anyone could believe in any religion, but this book certainly destroys the concept of Christianity.

Also reading "Universe from Nothing". A little heavy at times, but again a fascinating read. According to the physicists who wrote the book, we are 13.72 billion years old. Wow, that's a big number.

Anyway, I'll gradually find my way around the forum, and I'm sure we will have some wonderful discussions/debates.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:45 am

Hi, Phoenix! Welcome from another newbie...I just joined a few days ago. Sounds like you'll like it here.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:53 am

Anuther one. When it grains, it pours! Hi, Phoenix. :ahoy:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:18 am

Phoenix76 wrote:I'm an atheist and a skeptic. Suppose that should go without saying considering I've joined this forum.

Hoo boy, are you in for a surprise. :heh:

:wave: But hi!
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:27 am

Gord wrote:
Phoenix76 wrote:I'm an atheist and a skeptic. Suppose that should go without saying considering I've joined this forum.

Hoo boy, are you in for a surprise. :heh:

Ugh. The God Squad. :amen:
Or is it the Odd Squad? :dizzy:
No, wait! But, of course, it's the Fraud Squad. :pin:
:wgrin:

Phoenix76
Poster

Postby Phoenix76 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:15 am

Hey, thanks all for your welcomes. And LunaNik, don't know if I'm part of the 'God Squad', definitely been called 'odd', but the 'fraud Squad'? Yep like that one.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:31 am

Phoenix76 wrote:Hey, thanks all for your welcomes. And LunaNik, don't know if I'm part of the 'God Squad', definitely been called 'odd', but the 'fraud Squad'? Yep like that one.

Oh, dear. I wasn't referring to you! We have a cadre of non-skeptics that post and I was attempting to find a suitable name for them. "The Fraud Squad" seemed apt. Honestly, I would say we're all odd here. :wgrin:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:35 am

I think that's safe to say.

Phoenix76
Poster

Postby Phoenix76 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:43 am

Well that's great. I'm going to enjoy myself. :D

Return to “The Nexus”