Welcome To The Skeptics Society Forum!

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
xouper
True Skeptic

Re: Welcome To The Skeptics Society Forum!

Postby xouper » Tue May 19, 2015 2:09 am

The Ignostic wrote:I am Rock, aka The Ignostic. I am an Ignostic Humanist/Pastafarian.
(Ignosticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism)

I learned a new word today. :thumbsup: Thanks.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:21 am

I'm a machinist.

I make parts and I think we'd be better off under the rule uv an AI
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue May 19, 2015 2:33 am

I have an appropriately sized bust of Marx that was given to me according to my need for it.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 am

Austin Harper wrote:I have an appropriately sized bust of Marx that was given to me according to my need for it.

:lol: :lol:

That is funny on more than one level.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue May 19, 2015 3:08 am

I have a large bust myself... :mrgreen:
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue May 19, 2015 3:12 am

:lol:

And does it help when you get busted big time? :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 am

My friend has a mouse for his computer that he swears feels just like a booby. He spends so much time with it, his girlfriend is jealous.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Gord wrote:My friend has a mouse for his computer that he swears feels just like a booby. He spends so much time with it, his girlfriend is jealous.

What she SHOULD be is looking for new, more experienced , more tuned-into-the- sensate, boyfriend,
"Feels like" isn't "IS like."

NMB

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 am

nmblum wrote:
Gord wrote:My friend has a mouse for his computer that he swears feels just like a booby. He spends so much time with it, his girlfriend is jealous.

What she SHOULD be is looking for new, more experienced , more tuned-into-the- sensate, boyfriend,
"Feels like" isn't "IS like."

Everyone who enters that house is doomed to damage their brain.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:24 am

Well, there you go.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:44 am

What kind of an introduction is that?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:46 am

But welcome anyway.

Maaaaan, where have you been? I missed you!

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:19 pm

fromthehills wrote:Well, there you go.

Hi From :wave:

Get your arse back here. Your name is being taken in vain.

(Hope everything's good for you).

Materialgirl
Poster
Custom Title: Normal gal

Postby Materialgirl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi. I'm new here. My interests include conspiracy theories, logic, science but I'm no brainiac myself and I love music. I'm an insomniac Canuck. I was here before and I liked some of you very much.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Let me recap of our last exciting cliffhanger episode so you know what you are facing.

Norma accused Fromthehills of using a variety of sockpuppets, including Gorgeous and scrmbldggs. No one paid any attention. Matthew Ellard flew to the USA, had a sex change and changed his name to Norma Blum and moved in with Norma at the retirement home. Norma immediately moved out. Norma then started her own sock puppet called Supervitor, and then then started attacking all forum members in the hope of insulting Matthew Ellard's sock puppet, because Gord actually runs the sock puppet "Matthew Ellard" on the Forum. In reality, Gord is Pyrrho's sockpuppet that he uses to argue with Sweetpea, a sock-puppet of Gorgeous. Shaka, who was a sock puppet of Clarifyit4me, then started another sock-puppet called Placid. However the real Placid then had to change their forum name to Shaka and delete all Placid's earlier posts.

It can be a bit confusing. This chart will probably help.
Sock puppet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 am

:lol:

Kenny approves.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 am

what's a sock puppet?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:07 am

gorgeous wrote:what's a sock puppet?
Pamam55 & Gorgeous.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18121&p=281864#p281846

Pamam55 wrote:No, we did not "evolve" from monkeys and apes and no an imaginary "God" did not create us. We are the product of much more advanced beings than us...and they still rule the earth to this day.

gorgeous wrote:...............No, we did not "evolve" from monkeys and apes and no an imaginary "God" did not create us................ We are the product of much more advanced beings than us.............and they still rule the earth to this day.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:22 am

^That, or s/he did the usual copy/pasta job after searching out Pamam's whatchamacallits.

Altho, s/he also said other deluded stuff that would fit Pamam to a t.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:37 am

:donkey:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:38 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Altho, s/he also said other deluded stuff that would fit Pamam to a t.
I'm pretty sure it's the same person by observing the dates. I definitely know that Gorgeous is "Lori100" from another forum, as this is where Gorgeous copies her older posts and posts them here. They are identical.

https://www.wireclub.com/topics/philoso ... nShBELwai0

lori100: seth--------There is no difference between the energy that shapes your ideas and the energy that grows a flower, or that heals your finger if you burn it. ----------------The soul does not exist apart from nature. It is not thrust into nature. Nature is the soul in flesh, in whatever its materializations. ------------The flesh is as spiritual as the soul, and the soul is as natural as the flesh. In your terms the body is the living soul. Now the soul can live, and does, in many forms — some physical and some not, but while you are material, the body is the living soul. The body constantly heals
itself, which means that the soul in the flesh heals itself.---------------------Physically speaking at least, thoughts are
chemically propelled, and they travel through the universal body as viruses travel through your temporal form.--------------Thoughts interact with the body and become part of it as viruses do. Some viruses have great therapeutic value. The physical body will often let down its own barriers to these, knowing they will counteract certain others that are not
beneficial at the time.

lori100 The earliest accounts of NDE can be traced to the Myth of Er, recorded in the 4th century BC by Plato's The Republic (10.614-10.621), wherein Plato describes a soldier telling of his near-death experiences.------------------The traits of a classic NDE are as follows: A sense/awareness of being dead.[23][25] A sense of peace, well-being and painlessness. Positive emotions. A sense of removal from the world.[23][25][26] An out-of-body experience. A perception of one's body from an outside position. Sometimes observing doctors and nurses performing medical resuscitation efforts.[23][25][26][27] A "tunnel experience". A sense of moving up, or through, a passageway or staircase.[23][25][27]
A rapid movement toward and/or sudden immersion in a powerful light. Communication with the light.[25][26]
An intense feeling of unconditional love.[26] Encountering "Beings of Light", "Beings dressed in white", or similar. Also, the possibility of being reunited with deceased loved ones.[23][26][27] Receiving a life review.[23][25][26]
Receiving a "life preview" in the cases of George Ritchie and Betty Eadie, which Ring calls an NDE "Flash Forward".[28]

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:14 am

Materialgirl wrote:Hi. I'm new here.

Howdy.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:31 am

sock pup·pet

noun

noun: sock puppet; plural noun: sock puppets; noun: sockpuppet; plural noun: sockpuppets

a simple hand puppet made from a sock.

•a person whose actions are controlled by another.
"to this mix of industry sock puppets add a gullible media"

a false online identity, typically created by a person or group in order to promote their own opinions or views.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:38 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Lol. Between work and this BS video game, not to mention everyday chores here, I am pretty badass to create sock puppets and participate here whilst not participating under "fromthehills" to add to the confusion. Norma has always thought too highly of me.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:18 pm

A lot of things have changed. Gotta get used to this new format.

Thanks Poodle. I do mean to be on more. Honest.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:

Let me recap of our last exciting cliffhanger episode so you know what you are facing.

Norma accused Fromthehills of using a variety of sockpuppets, including Gorgeous and scrmbldggs. No one paid any attention. Matthew Ellard flew to the USA, had a sex change and changed his name to Norma Blum and moved in with Norma at the retirement home. Norma immediately moved out. Norma then started her own sock puppet called Supervitor, and then then started attacking all forum members in the hope of insulting Matthew Ellard's sock puppet, because Gord actually runs the sock puppet "Matthew Ellard" on the Forum. In reality, Gord is Pyrrho's sockpuppet that he uses to argue with Sweetpea, a sock-puppet of Gorgeous. Shaka, who was a sock puppet of Clarifyit4me, then started another sock-puppet called Placid. However the real Placid then had to change their forum name to Shaka and delete all Placid's earlier posts.

It can be a bit confusing. This chart will probably help.
Sock puppet.jpg

LMAO

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:59 am

The biggest thing you missed wuz the Matt vs zeuzzz match. I set out to keep it lite but serious and it quickly evolved (dejenerated, sum woud say) into a free for all brawl thats az close az you can get to a pro-restling show in text form, exept without the preplanned outkum and coreografy.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

KittyCathy

Postby KittyCathy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:24 am

Hello! I'm glad to be here! My name is Anna, but everyone always calls me Cathy or Kitty. English isn't my motherlanguage. I'm still learning.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:04 am

Hello KittyCathy, welcome to the nuthouse! :wave:
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:37 am

Why do they call you that?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Gord wrote:Hello KittyCathy, welcome to the nuthouse! :wave:

She might be allergic. Lets try this "Hello" for Anna. :-P

ban-seeker

Postby ban-seeker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Hello. Recently I joined the forums of another website, where the host presents podcasts based on interviews (sometimes one wonders if 'interrogations' would not be the more appropriate word) he does with various people. Slightly more recently I was banned from the same forums. A very different place from this, there scepticism is frowned upon, although theoretically discussion of sceptical ideas is allowed in a subforum, sort of a goods siding away from the paying-passenger traffic where discussion of consciousness, spirituality and science can speed along unimpeded. Though aware that I was striking a dissenting note, the ban took me completely by surprise, and the manner of it was extraordinary, almost spooky. No advance warning, no notification, no conditions for reinstatement, no explanation. Followed by, after a day or two, the deletion of all my posts. Whether I've acquired a taste for it, I don't know, but now I feel that only when I have been banned by both Consciousness crusaders and sceptics will I have earned the right to see myself as a truly independent thinker.

So what will it take? Over there I had just begun (in the appropriate forum) to outline a thesis that sceptism is a normal and necessary response to the paranormal, irrespective of whether or not there is anything genuine in the paranormal. Too subtle for some 20-watt bulbs over there; ironically, I am not even a sceptic. So over here I am willing to argue for the authenticity of any variety of the paranormal you care to mention. I can be forthright with administrators, argumemtative, obscure or plain-speaking, self-important, contrarian -- whatever it takes. I won't resort to abuse, since apart from anything else this would be too easy and would feel like cheating. I suppose I might stoop to the casual insult of some key figure, if it would help. What would happen if I were to irrelevantly drop into a post the assertion that James Randi is a bounder? Ideally I would like the manner of my banishment to match my earlier experience. To be Duke-of-Burgundy-ish about it, I don't want the scolding, I don't want the confinememt, I just want the good swift spanking. My disappearance must be managed with all the smooth clinical effeciency of a communist-era East-European police-state.

Having perused some random threads at greater leisure now, I realise that your forums may be far too interesting and tolerant for my purpose, but if you can recommend any other sceptical website where I would have a better chance of achieving my aims then I would be very grateful.

Goodbye, possibly.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:41 am

Well, there's your answer, then.

Just don't mention the War.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 am

KittyCathy wrote:Hello! I'm glad to be here! My name is Anna, but everyone always calls me Cathy or Kitty. English isn't my motherlanguage. I'm still learning.

Hi Cathy. We always welcome anyone from everywhere. It allow us to understand different international points of view. We may ask you to do some short translations, if something interesting pops up. What's your first language?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:15 am

ban-seeker wrote: I am not even a sceptic. So over here I am willing to argue for the authenticity of any variety of the paranormal you care to mention.
As a general rule, people come to this forum to make specific claims that we apply skeptical tools, to review. We don't just review our own understanding of paranormal claims as that would not be adversarial debating.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:43 am

ban-seeker wrote:Having perused some random threads at greater leisure now, I realise that your forums may be far too interesting and tolerant for my purpose...

Seems that already did it. Our work here is done... welcome to a small part of the world of skeptics. :-P

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:16 am

ban-seeker wrote:I am not even a sceptic

How do you know?
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:36 am

Welkum, ban seeker. Kool name!

I hav found that intentional bad spelling works pretty good for getting banned. Part uv the early education prosess iz the installation uv the Spelling Cop firmware. Its beyond ordinary English literate adult human ability to overide the reaction.

It wont work here kuz I hav worn out all the old timerz' Spelling Cop, but I'm fairly confidant that if you join Jamez Randi'z forum (if you can) or any other science related forum youd be tossed out within a month.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi all. I'm back. Let the rejoicing* begin!

*I am already aware that for most, this rejoicing will include weeping, cursing and/or tearing of hair.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “The Nexus”