What are you listening to?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:33 am

Nikki Nyx wrote: That's a Roxy Music cover. The original is better, IMO.
I totally agree. The Divinyls were an Aussie pub band. They had some minor hits in the USA by being controversial but are mostly known in the USA for synchronising their recordings to "Buffy the Vampire" movie. The publishers & composers get a share of box office for synchronised compositions.

You may remember Lene Lovich's "Lucky number". The Divinyls simply stole the "oo hoo oo hoo" bit for their Song "Science Fiction".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9atXdIqzrLk

The problem for Aussie bands is that they can become popular quickly if they copy the style of bigger USA bands but then they can't break into the USA market because the original USA band is still touring there. That's why the odder Australian bands have more luck breaking into the USA market. To get around this, we flog off our bands to Germany and bigger non-English speaking markets and pretend that are English.

The Australian gentleman playing prog-rock flute in this video went through a big makeover for the UK market and reappeared as the singer in his new band AC/DC. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlL6uhrBV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-jI

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: That's a Roxy Music cover. The original is better, IMO.
I totally agree. The Divinyls were an Aussie pub band. They had some minor hits in the USA by being controversial but are mostly known in the USA for synchronising their recordings to "Buffy the Vampire" movie. The publishers & composers get a share of box office for synchronised compositions.
I didn't know that. Seems like a backhanded way to make money.

Matthew Ellard wrote:You may remember Lene Lovich's "Lucky number". The Divinyls simply stole the "oo hoo oo hoo" bit for their Song "Science Fiction".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9atXdIqzrLk
Oh damn! That's one I haven't seen on YouTube (which has a fairly large collection of side-by-side comparisons of artists who have ripped off other artists).

Matthew Ellard wrote:The problem for Aussie bands is that they can become popular quickly if they copy the style of bigger USA bands but then they can't break into the USA market because the original USA band is still touring there. That's why the odder Australian bands have more luck breaking into the USA market. To get around this, we flog off our bands to Germany and bigger non-English speaking markets and pretend that are English.
LOL...the US goes through years of derivative crap before there's a revolutionary movement. We're due for one, since the last one was Seattle (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden), the rap (for want of a better word) diaspora (from NWA to Arrested Development to Digable Planets), and the cross-genre fusions (Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers) in the '90s. OMFG, are we due. Notify the odder Australian bands.

Matthew Ellard wrote:The Australian gentleman playing prog-rock flute in this video went through a big makeover for the UK market and reappeared as the singer in his new band AC/DC. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlL6uhrBV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUXMzkh-jI

That's a side of Bon Scott I've not seen. :mrgreen:

I'm not familiar with too many Aussie bands. I did always like Midnight Oil's sensibility and style. Naturally, I've heard of Men at Work and Nick Cave. Silverchair was fairly popular with the younger generation a few years ago.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:37 am

Nikki Nyx wrote: I'm not familiar with too many Aussie bands. I did always like Midnight Oil's sensibility and style. Naturally, I've heard of Men at Work and Nick Cave. Silverchair was fairly popular with the younger generation a few years ago.
Midnight Oil copied "Gang of Four" for three LPs and the lead singer quit music to enter politics. He has just re started the band after leaving politics.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seed were the first Aussie band to get into "USA Swamp music". I'm not a big fan although they are still popular here.

Silverchair is a joke. Sony Australia did a deal that if they sold 500,000 Maria Carey LPS that one of their Australian signed bands would play at MTV in New York. The head of A&R Australia spent a million of Sony's money promoting them and then quit to become manager so he could pick up commissions on the actual sales. I was sacked as business manager when I pointed that out to the band's mothers.

From my point of view, it is only worth working with touring bands and not pop bands. Touring bands simply need more day to day business administration and have much larger incomes. They also last for decades as they generate live followings. (A bit like the Dave Matthews Band). Pop bands last two years and basically sit on their arses waiting to headline the Christmas big out door festivals. They generally go broke after year three with no savings.

Pop bands only make money in two or so big markets. The manager of the hard touring Aussie rock band, "The Angels" John Woodruff, took a punt on a pop band and sold 10 full price million Savage Garden LPs. He was also their publisher and "first sign" label. He then bought a nice estate in France and flies model aeroplanes. :D

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Phish is one of the most popular touring bands (we call them "jam bands") in the US. I've listened to some of their music. While I can appreciate their musicianship, I'm not a fan of their style. A lot of former Deadheads follow them. Personally, I think the Grateful Dead's music was far superior, but I never could take it in large doses.

My tastes are so eclectic that I generally won't listen to any one band unless, like Queen, they present a large variety. Otherwise, I create bizarrely mixed playlists that make people look at me strangely...lol. Like...
"You Can Do It" - Ice Cube
"Under the Sea" - Sebastian (from "The Little Mermaid")
"The Flight of Icarus" - Iron Maiden
"Sh-Boom" - The Chords
"I Don't Care About You" - FEAR
"Lies About the Sky" - Shudder to Think
"Battery" - Metallica

It makes life more interesting.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Phish is one of the most popular touring bands (we call them "jam bands") in the US. I've listened to some of their music. While I can appreciate their musicianship, I'm not a fan of their style. A lot of former Deadheads follow them. Personally, I think the Grateful Dead's music was far superior, but I never could take it in large doses.

My tastes are so eclectic that I generally won't listen to any one band unless, like Queen, they present a large variety. Otherwise, I create bizarrely mixed playlists that make people look at me strangely...lol. Like...
"Sh-Boom" - The Chords
"Battery" - Metallica

:lol:

People looking at my music collection sigh and shake their heads. Who listens to Marvin Gaye and Megadeth????

Me!!!!!!

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:My tastes are so eclectic that I generally won't listen to any one band unless, like Queen, they present a large variety. Otherwise, I create bizarrely mixed playlists that make people look at me strangely...lol. Like...
"Sh-Boom" - The Chords
"Battery" - Metallica

:lol:

People looking at my music collection sigh and shake their heads. Who listens to Marvin Gaye and Megadeth????

Me!!!!!!
Same here! Variety is the spice of life.

To be fair, I do draw a few lines in the sand:
• While I appreciate the musical skill involved, I'm not fan of freeform jazz.
• Modern radio country has zero redeeming features. Let me think... Nope. Not one. I do like real, old school country music: Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams.
• I dislike what my brother calls "duck call rock." Nickelback and bands that sound like them. Ugh. Derivative, overproduced, and repetitive crap.
• I find what I call "frat rock" repulsive: Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, and all the braggadocio boys.

Other than that, I listen to everything from classical to hardcore, from Broadway to metal, from swing to Motown to gangsta rap. I'm a sucker for an intricate, groovy bassline; a major-minor key fade; a double guitar solo; vocal harmonies; funky time signatures; clever lyrics; and unusual instruments.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:17 am

That time Elise and Ludwig got into the bathtub gin...
https://youtu.be/mCfGXwx1mJs

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 am

It was "ragtime" music that first introduced me to the concept of anachronisms. The movie "The Sting" set in the 1930's and exclusively used ragtime music as its soundtrack theme. My mother pointed out "ragtime" was from the late 19th century and people in the 1930's listened to totally different music. :D

Ragtime – also spelled rag-time or rag time[1] – is a musical style that enjoyed its peak popularity between 1895 and 1918
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragtime

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:37 am

Yeah, I know. My classical piano training included history. I just couldn't resist the joke. :mrgreen:

My mom earned her PhD in Medieval History and was fond of scoffing at the costuming and armor in Hollywood's medieval epics. It got to the point where it became impossible to watch such movies with her. Then again, I'm sure she thought the same about watching sci-fi with me, although I did try to keep my comments to myself. Except during JJ Abrams abomination unto Gene Roddenberry and science in general.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:49 am

Just the song I woke up with in my mind today for no particular reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPBzTxZQG5Q
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 pm

Malf, where's your car? :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Who would steal a 25-yo car?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:46 pm

Depends on the car...

So you're not missing it. Maybe the awakening was a reminder for the overdue oil change?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 pm

Well, people do approach me and ask about it. It's a classic design. You don't see many these days. Still going strong. I take good care of it.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:21 pm

Mine does MP3. :)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Who would steal a 25-yo car?
That was me. Do you know how expensive taxis are in Melbourne? :D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:Who would steal a 25-yo car?
That was me. Do you know how expensive taxis are in Melbourne? :D

I do. I live there. Just park it back outside the pub where I left it.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:14 am

Maybe my car really is Christine.

Stepped in this morning, turned the key, engine caught fire instantly, radio came on and played this song right from the start...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWbMu4PtpE

I think she likes it when it's just us together.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:45 am

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:51 am

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:33 pm

I just heard this new song that seems to be all the rage but if you ask me, they're all singing out of tune.

viewtopic.php?f=21&p=594877#p594877
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 pm

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Man, what an all-star cast on that show! Roy Clark, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Chet Atkins...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Have at more. :-D
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:39 am

:sw: For fun...
https://youtu.be/gNi2oxH37vo

And to be completely blown away like the Death Star was...
https://youtu.be/Yt20uO4cFYs

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:43 am

The Platters… playing as background while I surf and suffer the indignities of infusions. Nice...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Just posted elsewhere and with thanks to 'Kleon'

https://youtu.be/XIbfN8yuVTw

Oops, maybe that should be in the Funny Video thread... :pardon:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:43 am

That was incredibly well done!

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:50 pm

And to those into covers.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:27 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote::sw: For fun...
https://youtu.be/gNi2oxH37vo

And to be completely blown away like the Death Star was...
https://youtu.be/Yt20uO4cFYs

I have no idea why I quoted your post. I was gonna ask where you found them but that's a stupid question.
Thanks anyways.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Ha, following the links^ after I had just enjoyed this, I saw this. :cool:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 am

scrmbldggs wrote:And to those into covers.
:rotfl:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:14 pm

My daughter and I are off to attend funeral services for her best friend of fifteen years.

Julia was born with hypogammaglobulemia, and it finally caught up with her. She knew this day would come, and was quite frank in talking about it. Nevertheless, it never stopped her from living every moment to its fullest, including making plans for the future. She always called me "Mom."

This was her favorite song.

https://youtu.be/YuM3SteeAgY

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:04 pm

:( My heartfelt condolences to Julia's "Mom", sister-friend and all her loved ones. :flower:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:18 pm

From me as well.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Thank you both. It was a tough one. She was only 28 years old.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Only the good die young.

Return to “The Nexus”