Personal emergency. Issues: Kryon, EMF, Peggy Dubro

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
AliasJamesCarpenter

Personal emergency. Issues: Kryon, EMF, Peggy Dubro

Postby AliasJamesCarpenter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm in a very difficult personal situation and I'd like to ask you to share your opinion.

I try to express this in simple terms, hope you can grasp the issue and maybe help me solve this.

I've misled myself and thought that the following story will change.

Right now, I feel I lost it. So please, please think carefully before jotting down your thoughts.

My background:
Male, 35, studied engineering, management and psychology, I normally speak in the language of numbers and statistics.

The story:
I have a girlfriend. We've been together for 3 years.
She believes in the supernatural. Angels, supernatural kinesiology which has nothing to do with the real one, of course, horoscopes, and many activities I can only define as cultic mumbo jumbo.
She is quite regular in many gatherings, attends in "meditations" lasting for 6-7 hours. (Which has nothing to do with meditation. I know this, because I've been practicing 'regular' meditation for 20 years now. No religious context, no mantras whatsoever, just simple mindfulness and relaxation techniques.)
And she also 'meditates' (actually watching Peggy Dubro videos, but she calls it meditating) 1-2 hours per day.
She is enchanted (sry for the word) by the world of Kryon, EMF, Peggy Dubro.
She is certain that these are science based, factual happenings with her. (And this is very very frightening for me.)

My questions:
Do you have any experience handling a close relationship like this? Is it even possible to 'recalibrate' someone who is deep into this kind of nonsense?
I'm puzzled...

Ta-ra a bit

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Personal emergency. Issues: Kryon, EMF, Peggy Dubro

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:57 am

Hi, hopeless one.

I'd say as long as she has not experienced any negative impact and as long as her guru hasn't been exposed as a fraud (and sometimes even then...), small chance of talking her out of it (which in itself could prove hazardous if attempted even in a functioning relationship). :pardon:

(I googled this for those who'd like to know more about emf.)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 am

Well, here's the opposite advice: 3 Ways to Date a Skeptic when You Believe in Spirits.

Personally, I think it's terrible advice. I'd probably do the opposite in several case. For instance:

Method 1 - Avoid talking about it

I wouldn't do that. At all. I mean, you can talk about other things of course, but I would not avoid talking about her woo-woo beliefs and even telling her exactly what you think about them. However, I wouldn't not pressure her to change her beliefs. If she wants to change, that's up to her.

Method 2 - Show them evidence of spirits, and consider what they say

1. Talk about it with them.

This is the opposite of Method 1. If it leads to arguments, then end the conversation until you've calmed down. It's always best to remain calm when you're talking about someone else's beliefs and how they irritate the hell out of you. ;)

2. Bring them to places that are said to be haunted or go into spirit-possessed places and let them see for themselves.

This is a different topic, but you can apply the same thing to her beliefs. Personally, I would have to avoid being shown the nonsense of Peggy Dubro in action because I know how I would react. I wouldn't be able to keep a poker face about how I was feeling.

3. If they make it clear they do not want to change, don't keep trying.

4. Listen when they present their side.

I'd do this, but unlike in the small print on the website (I didn't copy the small print), I wouldn't use the word "beliefs". What I accept to be true is backed by evidence and reason, otherwise I wouldn't accept it. I don't consider them beliefs. And she might not consider her beliefs to be beliefs. The very word "beliefs" may have the tendency to delegitimise each others' point of view.

Method 3 - Have mutual respect for one another's beliefs

1. Recognize that it is not necessary for you both to have the same beliefs on spirituality.

That's what I'd do. But I wouldn't do it the way they describe next:

2. Stand your ground that different beliefs are okay.

"Stand your ground" is just another way to say, "be prepared to argue a lot." I wouldn't go with that. Instead I'd say, "Give way. Retreat from heat. Remain calm, and wait for the storm to pass." Because women get hotheaded sometimes and there's nothing to can do but wait until it's over. ;)

3. Focus on love and respect.

Yeah. That.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:07 am

AliasJamesCarpenter wrote: Is it even possible to 'recalibrate' someone who is deep into this kind of nonsense?
I would say "No".

The problem with deprogramming cult members is that you end up with a different person at the end of treatment.

If you like your girlfriend for some specific reasons, simply concentrate on those. My girlfriend and her family are religious Catholics and we all get on very well by not talking about religion.

If it gets you down, simply come here for a chat.
:D

AliasJamesCarpenter

Postby AliasJamesCarpenter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Hi, hopeless one.

I'd say as long as she has not experienced any negative impact and as long as her guru hasn't been exposed as a fraud (and sometimes even then...), small chance of talking her out of it (which in itself could prove hazardous if attempted even in a functioning relationship). :pardon:

(I googled this for those who'd like to know more about emf.)

Hey scrmbldggs,

Many thanks for your comment! You are right, talking her out of it seems obviously a no go.

Her guru?
As far as I see it, she has more than one Gs. Gangsters or gurus or whatever (it's a queue beginning with Peggy Dubro and Lee Kryon Carol) is a tough call my dear man.

These peeps are similar to Deepak Chopra, who, I'm pretty sure does not need a proper introduction. Conman. If I'd be DJT, I'd say. SAD. I'll keep it my way, it's fkn stressful.

Anyhow, there is not much you can find about them. You have to go to the sessions, pay the big bucks and wait for the intros. In some sense, it's like scientology. After several years, down with several Gs, you will be englightened like Tom Cruise. God bless his soul. Or.

Thanks for sharing the wisegeek link. Unfortunately, the way I see it is worse. It's only harmless if I choose to believe that religion or similar unreasonable belief is 'good'. I can't see it that way, ignorance is bliss. Fck ignorant people.

You can find some info here, just look up http://www.ciaosn.be/ They are/were? researching sects.
Cheers,

AliasJamesCarpenter

Postby AliasJamesCarpenter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Gord wrote:
Method 1 - Avoid talking about it

I wouldn't do that. At all. I mean, you can talk about other things of course, but I would not avoid talking about her woo-woo beliefs and even telling her exactly what you think about them. However, I wouldn't not pressure her to change her beliefs. If she wants to change, that's up to her.

Wise!

Gord wrote:This is the opposite of Method 1. If it leads to arguments, then end the conversation until you've calmed down. It's always best to remain calm when you're talking about someone else's beliefs and how they irritate the hell out of you. ;)

Super wise! :) Now, let see if I can exaggerate further. :)

Gord wrote:
2. Bring them to places that are said to be haunted or go into spirit-possessed places and let them see for themselves.

This is a different topic, but you can apply the same thing to her beliefs. Personally, I would have to avoid being shown the nonsense of Peggy Dubro in action because I know how I would react. I wouldn't be able to keep a poker face about how I was feeling.

She definitely, irrevocably knows what I think. I'll try poker face six feet under. :)

Gord wrote:What I accept to be true is backed by evidence and reason, otherwise I wouldn't accept it. I don't consider them beliefs. And she might not consider her beliefs to be beliefs. The very word "beliefs" may have the tendency to delegitimise each others' point of view.

Super Duper Burger Wise!

Gord wrote:"Give way. Retreat from heat. Remain calm, and wait for the storm to pass." Because women get hotheaded sometimes and there's nothing to can do but wait until it's over. ;)
3. Focus on love and respect.

Yeah. That.

My man!

AliasJamesCarpenter

Postby AliasJamesCarpenter » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:some specific reasons

:D I'll do that.

Matthew Ellard wrote:My girlfriend and her family are religious Catholics and we all get on very well by not talking about religion.

Do you have children? It does change the terrain, doesn't it? (This could be another topic...)

Matthew Ellard wrote:If it gets you down, simply come here for a chat. [/color] :D

[/quote]

You can count on me Matt! Thanks again!

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:49 am

I don't think I'd try to 'recalibrate' her, AJC, any more than she's attempting to recalibrate you. I think the problem is simple - you're incompatible.

AliasJamesCarpenter

Postby AliasJamesCarpenter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 am

Poodle wrote: you're incompatible.

Evil Genius Poodle. Thanks. That's a fckn hell of an advice. :)

But! It makes me wonder about things. Namely, who is compatible? (I could open a new topic, in the 'Love Affairs' section.)

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 pm

It was meant to be fairly light-hearted, AJC - but worth thinking about, just the same. I was married to a totally incompatible woman for 20 years, though, so don't take my word as gospel.

AliasJamesCarpenter

Postby AliasJamesCarpenter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Poodle wrote:It was meant to be fairly light-hearted, AJC - but worth thinking about, just the same. I was married to a totally incompatible woman for 20 years, though, so don't take my word as gospel.

I'll reflect on that. Ty.

Return to “The Nexus”