Just introducing myself

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well

Just introducing myself

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:54 pm

I've now made about half a dozen posts and decided I should check into this sub-board and give a little information on myself. Obviously, I'm not using my real name here. That's because I'm a bit wary of trolls, having left a few boards in the past, where there were people who apparently get their only pleasure in life from putting other people down. Not that it bothers me when they do it to me, but I don't want to get drawn into useless mutual insults, and I have a snarky side of my own that I need to keep under control.

Posting on-line is fun for me, but it can be a big time-waster if I'm not careful. I'm going to try to discipline myself to only one or two posts per day.

Oh, and the personal information I promised: I'm a 74-year-old white male American, lapsed Catholic and (later) lapsed Protestant. I've been married to my first wife for 49 years. We have three children who have all been married from 12 to 20 years and have given us five wonderful grandchildren.

I'm tolerant of religious people and paranormal believers. Old age has reconciled me to the fact that the vast majority of my fellow citizens really don't like rational argument. (I'm reminded of Douglas Adams's offhand description of a race of beings who had heard about the survival of the fittest and wanted no truck with it. Also of Bertrand Russell's wonderful phrase, "the ocean of insanity upon which the little bark of human reason insecurely floats.) In short, I don't think snappy satire is the way to communicate with credulous people. Best just to say, "Here's the way I see it..." and give a brief summary of what one thinks.

I don't attempt to give technical arguments about (say) evolution or climate change, since I'm not technically trained in these areas. The issues the public needs to decide are matters of policy, not science, and the best approach is to point out that science is a well-developed enterprise with well-trained people to make recommendations. The citizen's job is to decide what to do with that advice. This is, I know, contrary to the approach of most of our elected officials, who think THEY are competent to decide the scientific issues and will eagerly volunteer their own "scientific" critique of what the scientists say.

Above all, one should avoid ascribing motives to other people. Whether their argument is good or bad is independent of their motive for giving it, and in any case, it's really impossible to know other people's motives, which they may not even know themselves. I'm particular on this point, since this kind of argument-by-ascription-of motive is one of the main tools in the workshop of a certain right-wing commentator and assassin of democracy whom I refer to as Rash Limpjaw.

That's it for now. I look forward to reading what other post. I'll be lurking
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Just introducing myself

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Welcome to the forum. We are a pretty diverse crowd, I spend most of my time in the Holocaust Denial sub forum but I pop up now and again in other places. I enjoy movies and music so I post in those sub forums.

I'm also a lapsed Catholic and also tolerant of other people's belief systems. I honestly don't care how or what other people worship, as long as they don't bug me about it.

I'm 46, married with two children and work in state government. I have every other Monday off so this is why I'm browsing a bit today (not that working stops me from posting :D). My main interest outside of work and family is history, specifically European history with an emphasis on WW I and WW II. I enjoy movies and rock music.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Just introducing myself

Hewwo.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 pm

O goode! Welcome to SSF. :wave:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: I'm a bit wary of trolls, having left a few boards in the past, where there were people who apparently get their only pleasure in life from putting other people down.

Who ARE you ACCUSING of BEING a troll????????

Posting on-line is a big time-waster. I'm going to try to discipline myself to only one or two posts per day.

THIS IS A BLATANT LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yooove posted FOUR today!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and we have three children who have all been married from 12 to 20 years and have given us five wonderful grandchildren.

Married at 12??? QWhat madness is THIS??? IS IT SURPRISING THEY WERE DEVOICED AT TWENTY YEARS OLD??????
I mean, I ask you???
I'm tolerant of religious people and paranormal believers.

And yet you reject the evidence of airline pilots who's testimony confirms the existence of UFOS

I attempt to give technical arguments about evolution or climate change, since I'm technically trained in these areas.

What nonsense you speeke!!! The truth lies here. https://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=1296

Spoiler:
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Nobrot on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm

:lol:

Spoiler:
. :mrgreen:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:55 pm

:rotfl:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I've now made about half a dozen posts and decided I should check into this sub-board and give a little information on myself.

:wave: Hello! Welcome!

I'm going to try to discipline myself to only one or two posts per day.

Me too. I've been here for at least 13,347 days by now, I think. Right? Isn't that right? I think that's right. Yeah, that must be right....

... a certain right-wing commentator and assassin of democracy whom I refer to as Rash Limpjaw.

He and Glum Berk really cheese my biscuit.

That's it for now. I look forward to reading what other post. I'll be lurking

Many of us have posted our own information before in this thread here, if you're interested in a very long read: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5&p=545565#p545565 Many people have come and gone. Most everyone's welcome to post whenever they feel they have anything helpful to post! 8-)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm

Had to think about that 13,347 days. Nice one! Very subtle. (That would be about 35 years, for those who don't like to do the math.) And I'm already breaking with my good intentions. Thanks for those links.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Some of you have a wonderful, wicked sense of humor, and the others seem to be quiet, sincere people. Great mixture of neighbors to have.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Thanks to all who responded to my post. Some of you have a wonderful, wicked sense of humor, and the others seem to be quiet, sincere people. Great mixture of neighbors to have.

We're actually all :nuts:

Welcome to the funhouse!!!!!!

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Thanks to all who responded to my post. Some of you have a wonderful, wicked sense of humor, and the others seem to be quiet, sincere people. Great mixture of neighbors to have.

When I first started posting here, the humour was gentle and kind. I think I broke the other posters.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Don't believe it, UOG - when Gord started posting here there were no other posters. There was no internet. He still hasn't realised we're a figment of his imagination.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:29 pm

I realise everything!
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “The Nexus”