TED talk on public shaming

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

TED talk on public shaming

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:57 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: TED talk on public shaming

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 am

Video barely plays on my browser (Firefox) but clicking thru to original Youtube site plays just fine.

I think the video is not about shaming...but as the video heading says: "How one tweet can ruin your life..." ie... how what is said can be taken quite differently than intended.... especially humor.... especially sarcasm. There have been Saturday Night Live and Monty Phython skits about sarcasm going wrong..........

The term "shaming" is used....but to me... its more of dog-piling and mob opportunity abusing someone seen in a vulnerable position.

.........it does happen. Learning to apologize quickly is a valuable skill.....course in this case, the viral attack was about completed before the girl even knew it was an issue.

Strikes me that Trump may have insulated himself from such mob behavior??? "It's just Trump" rather than "Thats outrageous."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: TED talk on public shaming

Postby gorgeous » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:09 pm

people need to stop saying and doing stupid stuff and smarten up...shame serves a needed purpose...especially with stupid, pampered celebrities...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Return to “The Nexus”