What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks, everyone! I missed you guys. :wink:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Did you bring beer? I hear there's a party in the other room. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Nikki: I was hoping you were on vacation. I don't know which is worse...having to associate with medical care for anything it all, or the physical labor and irritation of having to correct a construction job that should have been done right the first time.

I hope you are snuggled in as Winter approaches? I know I hate winter. Here in Sacto it gets down to freezing every 4th year or so........................................
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:15 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:"I heard you missed me...I'm back! I brought my pencil." :mrgreen:

Who're you?

...Hashimoto's thyroiditis....

Ooh, my brother's got that! One of his fingers is swollen and looks like it was smashed with a hammer, then healed. Like it's been busted up and then recovered. It's large and swollen but doesn't look puffy, just enlarged. Like it's from someone else's hand.

He's got a big finger, is what I'm trying to say.

It's weird, I've tried to find examples online, but nobody else seems to have experienced the same effect my brother has.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 pm

I can tell spring is here. My allergy level is off the charts. Today we had a big blow of dry, north wind. There must've been a billion pollens per cubic centimetre. Combine that with a recently acquired allergy to black pepper, and I'm having a bad time.

The pepper allergy is weird. It only started a few years ago. It only happens sometimes. I can't tell what sets it off. And it sets in nearly exactly eight hours after eating it. So if I eat dinner at 8PM, I wake up at 4AM with a reaction.

The reaction is itchy. Not just a bit of a scratch and go back to sleep. It's a sharp, stinging itch. You know, the kind that actually make you suddenly twitch with pain. Scratch it, feels really good. Feels better now. Another one! Scratch! Now it's two! Scratch those. Now it's four! Now I'm scratching all over with both hands and I can't keep up with all the itches.

It's like being bitten all over by a swarm of ants. It tends to focus around my face, nose, eyes, and scalp. And can last 12 hours or more.

So I've been thrashing around in bed, scratching like a dry meth junkie fighting a swarm of imaginary wasps.

No rest for the wicked. Or the wicked's bedmate (if there were one). I took two hits of antihistamine and a scaldingly hot shower (that seems to be the only thing that helps temporarily).

And now my whole face feels sore, like I've been sunburnt. And I know from past experience my face skin is going to slough off, exactly as if I were sunburnt.

{!#%@} allergies, man! Why pepper? It's in goddamned everything!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:08 am

Looks like Gord's brother encountered the wrong djinn and the Major needs one of these for the peel.

Spoiler:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:16 am

I've got a belt-sander for the itchiest bits.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:37 am

One of Jil's?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:35 am

Sooooo......

If I use snail pellets and kill off the snails in my garden, I can see the empty snail shells but not the dead snails. I finally saw what happens. The little lizards in my garden eat the dead snails.

I now realise I have a lizard army..

(It's a slow news day)
:D

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:58 am

Well, with the new and 'enhanced' diet of your little fighters, you might have to find out next what's eating their dearly departed. :frown:

(Unless you meant you got and used regular pellets and a gun. :-P)

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:59 am

Can I borrow a cup of trump pellets?
trump is literally a piece of {!#%@}.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:07 am

I hate that the secret service doesn't replace your door after kicking it in.
Not cool, guys. Not cool.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:08 am

They know they'll be back. :-P

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 am

I miss being able to tweet at that {!#%@} in the white house and tell him to go {!#%@} himself.
Can i start a thread where we only have a 140 character limit and post useless {!#%@}?
Or do we have too many as it is?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 am

140 characters? You're lucky if you'll get 15 to enter. :jester:

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Coroners are {!#%@} nosy.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm

:hmm: From where are you posting? :shock:

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:08 pm

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: From where are you posting? :shock:

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:28 pm

A case of eminent domain or civil forfeiture? They took your stuffed grandpa?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Nikki: I was hoping you were on vacation. I don't know which is worse...having to associate with medical care for anything it all, or the physical labor and irritation of having to correct a construction job that should have been done right the first time.

I hope you are snuggled in as Winter approaches? I know I hate winter. Here in Sacto it gets down to freezing every 4th year or so........................................
Well, my house was built in 1957, so it's certainly old enough to require patch, patch, patch. :mrgreen: I was built in 1965, so I guess I'm old enough to require the same process. :P
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: Well, my house was built in 1957, so it's certainly old enough to require patch, patch, patch. :mrgreen: I was built in 1965, so I guess I'm old enough to require the same process. :P

Yes.... maintenance. A good part of my own designed house was to cut down on maintenance. Make it air tight and even bug proof......thats very high tech to get done but has lots of benefits if you can maintain it. What you described was crumbling concrete? Concrete should get "stronger" over time if it was a good batch to begin with.............same with DNA I suppose???? Ahhhhhhhhhh......I HATE bad concrete, and bad DNA. The first is fraud, the second is............... bad luck.

The analogy of house to bod is pretty close. .........xxxx.... I just deleted the analogy of squirrel {!#%@} in my attic to Alzheimers......I'll stick with nuts.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:...a recently acquired allergy to black pepper, and I'm having a bad time.

The pepper allergy is weird. It only started a few years ago. It only happens sometimes. I can't tell what sets it off. And it sets in nearly exactly eight hours after eating it. So if I eat dinner at 8PM, I wake up at 4AM with a reaction.

The reaction is itchy. Not just a bit of a scratch and go back to sleep. It's a sharp, stinging itch. You know, the kind that actually make you suddenly twitch with pain. Scratch it, feels really good. Feels better now. Another one! Scratch! Now it's two! Scratch those. Now it's four! Now I'm scratching all over with both hands and I can't keep up with all the itches.

It's like being bitten all over by a swarm of ants. It tends to focus around my face, nose, eyes, and scalp. And can last 12 hours or more.
Sounds like food intolerance rather than an allergy. The reaction from food intolerance takes several hours to appear, while allergic reactions generally appear quickly. It may not be the black pepper, but food additives or preservatives that you're having a reaction to. You can check by trying organic ground black pepper or whole peppercorns freshly ground, since neither one contains additives or preservatives.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: Well, my house was built in 1957, so it's certainly old enough to require patch, patch, patch. :mrgreen: I was built in 1965, so I guess I'm old enough to require the same process. :P
Yes.... maintenance. A good part of my own designed house was to cut down on maintenance. Make it air tight and even bug proof......thats very high tech to get done but has lots of benefits if you can maintain it. What you described was crumbling concrete? Concrete should get "stronger" over time if it was a good batch to begin with.............same with DNA I suppose???? Ahhhhhhhhhh......I HATE bad concrete, and bad DNA. The first is fraud, the second is............... bad luck.
The front wall of my foundation is cinderblock...no idea why. Maybe they changed the design after the pour. And the concrete originally used for the steps has way too much huge gravel in it, like someone cheaped out, so I'm not surprised it's crumbling. There's not sufficient cement in the mix to hold all that large gravel together.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:The analogy of house to bod is pretty close. .........xxxx.... I just deleted the analogy of squirrel {!#%@} in my attic to Alzheimers......I'll stick with nuts.
Yep, it is! :mrgreen:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 pm

My biggest pet peeve is when I have to do all the work to correct someone else's mistake. Instant rage. This time, Verizon Wireless is the target of my anger.

Last month, we switched to a new plan, and changed the account ownership from my Mom (who died in 2010) to me (still alive). My Dad initially tried to change it over shortly after Mom's death, but balked on principle when Verizon demanded an official death certificate. Anyway, account changeover successful. New plan cheaper by $75 a month. Yay!

Nope. Not "yay." I got the bill this month, and was double charged for September, once on the old account and once on the new. (Verizon makes you pay for your month ahead of time.) Trying to correct this BS has been an exercise in restraint. Verizon alleges it can't access the old account unless I provide them with the correct PIN, which I no longer have since I deleted the old account info for the new. Meanwhile, they're threatening to shut off the new account for non-payment, despite the fact they actually owe me money.

Today, I got a refund check for the owed amount...made out to my deceased mother. Dafuq am I supposed to do with a check made out to a person who died seven years ago?! Now I have to physically drive a half hour to the nearest Verizon corporate store to resolve their idiotic mistakes. Bet your ass I'm going to make them pay for my work.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:...a recently acquired allergy to black pepper, and I'm having a bad time.
Sounds like food intolerance rather than an allergy. The reaction from food intolerance takes several hours to appear, while allergic reactions generally appear quickly. It may not be the black pepper, but food additives or preservatives that you're having a reaction to. You can check by trying organic ground black pepper or whole peppercorns freshly ground, since neither one contains additives or preservatives.

No, it's definitely pepper. I used a process of elimination, and it only happens when I eat pepper. I do use fresh-ground peppercorn, but I might try a different brand.

It's actually not as uncommon as you might think.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm

I think fone companyz compete on how much their customerz hate them.

A ruff measure iz the number uv google rezults.

Verizon complaints 487,000.

AT&T complaints 568,000.

T-Mobile complaints 5,260,000. :shock:

Virgin Mobile complaints 1,320,000.

I'm suprized. Last time I checked AT&T wuz way ahed. I hav Virjin and they arent too bad. Just never call customer servis if you value your sanity.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 pm

But if Verizon only has 487,000 customers... :?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Bet your ass I'm going to make them pay for my work.

I went Skype 4 years ago. Last year my phone bill was $3.50 The phone calls I can't make immediately........can always be done later.

Its a "choice."

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:56 am

TJrandom wrote:But if Verizon only has 487,000 customers... :?

Only fifty percent complain, but they do it twice.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:00 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I now realise I have a lizard army..

You're Australian, and you're only just realising that? I'm Canadian and I learnt about Australia's lizard army in elementary school!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... estaurant/
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am

Gord wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I now realise I have a lizard army..

You're Australian, and you're only just realising that? I'm Canadian and I learnt about Australia's lizard army in elementary school!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... estaurant/

Hot French gal gets some tail?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 am

I have been fighting PC connectivity (WiFi) for months, and finally installed a faster WiFi modem – one that was supposed to take advantage of our 1GB line, but it turns out to be no better than the old one. In fact, I can get WiFi connected 10 feet away in the room immediately below it, but zero connectivity 5 feet away from it in an adjacent room, where the signal needs to go thru a floor and wall. Not sure what to do with it now, except try to return it.

Use of a lan cable is out of the question until I heal enough to crawl around in the attic to pull a new one, drop it down inside the wall, and install a wall box for the cable to exit into the room.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm

You can buy WiFi boosters that plug into the house wiring. I use one for the most distant room from the modem.

https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi- ... o+the+wall

Of course you'll want to shop locally.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Oh, and is there any chance your walls have rebar in them?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:No, it's definitely pepper. I used a process of elimination, and it only happens when I eat pepper. I do use fresh-ground peppercorn, but I might try a different brand.

It's actually not as uncommon as you might think.
I'm sorry...that sucks. I was basing my "rare" comment on the lack of reference to black pepper allergy in the medical literature. My daughter and I both have a number of allergies, along with other medical issues, so we both keep up with the latest studies.

I have a friend that's allergic to everything in the allium family, which horrifies me. No chives, scallions, ramps, leeks, onions, garlic, etc. *shudder* My allergies (and sensitivities) are mostly to medication rather than food; penicillin and cephalosporin antibiotics, quite a few sedatives, a number of psych meds, and most opioids.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:23 pm

My allergy to honest work keeps me "incapacitated".

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: ramps

That's a new one on me. Please describe it so that my allium knowledge may return to its former glory.

EDIT: No - got it. Ramsons here. Known (when I was a mere stripling) as 'stinking nannies'.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 pm

TJrandom wrote:I have been fighting PC connectivity (WiFi) for months, and finally installed a faster WiFi modem – one that was supposed to take advantage of our 1GB line, but it turns out to be no better than the old one. In fact, I can get WiFi connected 10 feet away in the room immediately below it, but zero connectivity 5 feet away from it in an adjacent room, where the signal needs to go thru a floor and wall. Not sure what to do with it now, except try to return it.

Use of a lan cable is out of the question until I heal enough to crawl around in the attic to pull a new one, drop it down inside the wall, and install a wall box for the cable to exit into the room.

I've connected my 4 computers via ethernet by running the cables on my ceiling.... off of eye hooks screwed into the gypsum ceiling board. Some might think it hokey.......but I admire my work.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I went Skype 4 years ago. Last year my phone bill was $3.50 The phone calls I can't make immediately........can always be done later.

Its a "choice."
Yes, but for me, it's a choice based on my needs. My father is 77 and has numerous medical issues; he needs to be able to instantly contact his family. And my daughter goes off hiking and urban exploring; she needs to be able to keep in contact, both for her safety and my sanity. A smart phone with GPS, texting, etc. is the only way to fulfill these needs.

Not to mention, my phone functions as a calendar with reminders, an alarm clock, a notepad, a connection to my email accounts, a customizable map, a remote to my bank accounts, an MP3 player, a calculator, a compass, a flashlight, a barcode and QR code scanner, an emergency health information repository, a sound recorder for dictation, a camera, a clock, a weather app, and more.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Nikki: Take any android phone and you can do EVERYTHING with it that you name. Its a phone. With skype...you can make calls all over the world for a few cents a minute. All you need is a wifi (hotspot) connection. I haven't found any place in town I can't use voip. Haven't gone camping with it yet. Incoming calls no issue if you pay a little bit more for a standard phone number to connect to.

Listen to me now...........remember as you will later. OH..........you can make standard 911 phone calls with a no contract phone as well. Its the Law.

Return to “The Nexus”