What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:23 am

I assume they're still alive. Not going to call them to find out, it's 1:30 in the morning and they should be sleeping!

And of course all store clerks are bikers, that's how they get to work.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 am

You sure he wasn`t faking it? Some of those biker chicks are hot.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 am

He was only faking half of it. Y'know, like women do.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Happened to my father a few times, and happened to me just recently. Taking a piss, zip-up, and suddenly collapse unconscious.

Obviously something to do with sudden blood pressure drop. The bit of a strain while you're going, and then the sigh of relief afterwards is apparently enough to make some people faint.

I've been close to passing-out many times my whole life and have learnt the signs, you know, standing up too quickly. Ringing/deafness, loss/clouded vision, dizziness, loss of co-ordination. I go straight to the ground and curl-up with my head between my knees, lower than my heart. The biggest danger is smacking your head on something.

I have unusually low blood pressure. The doctors always have to check twice, I'm such a chill dude.

No warning this time, however. Well, I had time to think, I don't feel so well, now I'm staggering towards a wall. And woke up with my distraught kids crying for daddy, and my sister, with a first aid cert, asking if I needed an ambulance? No, I'm fine. And admonished her, you didn't raise my legs.

My Dad took a turn for the worse at Christmas dinner at a family friend's house in the country. They were all nurses and ambos, that's how they'd met. Calls were made, and I had a ride with my Dad in an ambulance helicopter. He died that New Year's Eve, at home, where he chose.

So, nyah! :tease:
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:39 pm

We're not allowed helicopters. They would play havoc on the trees.
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Bit of a trim, while you're at it. :)

My new dental hygienist looks like you, and is rough as guts. I was spitting blood after my "clean" today. I even had blood spattered on my face. No anesthetic. Seemed like he learnt his technique as a farrier.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:34 pm

No one looks like me, not even me.
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:15 pm

No-one.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:54 pm

And that's why he is in your neck of the woods atm... :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Neck-beard of the woods, more like.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:No-one.

Nae ane.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 am

I did some light yardwork yesterday - weeding, trimming, and some mowing. With the weeding I came millimeters from being bitten by a `Mamushi` viper - very poisonous but not life threatening for an adult (with treatment of course) - but for me it would no doubt have complicated things. Luckily I saw it in time and jerked my hand back as it struck, so it glanced off of my hand instead of connecting. The trimming sheers did the rest. I do regret not re-homing it, but it was in a rock wall and could easily escape within - only to reappear when kids might have been playing there. Plus, I didn`t have a bucket handy and didn`t want to take my eyes off of it to fetch one.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:35 pm

That'l teach him!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:02 pm

TJrandom wrote:I did some light yardwork yesterday - weeding, trimming, and some mowing. With the weeding I came millimeters from being bitten by a `Mamushi` viper - very poisonous but not life threatening for an adult (with treatment of course) - but for me it would no doubt have complicated things. Luckily I saw it in time and jerked my hand back as it struck, so it glanced off of my hand instead of connecting. The trimming sheers did the rest. I do regret not re-homing it, but it was in a rock wall and could easily escape within - only to reappear when kids might have been playing there. Plus, I didn`t have a bucket handy and didn`t want to take my eyes off of it to fetch one.

Seems to me when I was a kiddie there were "no poisonous snakes" in Japan? One day I was playing around the rice patties and what as a kiddie I would describe as a cobra stood up in the grass filed boundary path just as tall as I was. I skedaddled out of there as fast as I could......got a gang of friends and went back on a snake hunt. He had vamoosed.

What but a cobra "stands up" ? Why lie to a kiddie???????
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:14 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
TJrandom wrote:I did some light yardwork yesterday - weeding, trimming, and some mowing. With the weeding I came millimeters from being bitten by a `Mamushi` viper - very poisonous but not life threatening for an adult (with treatment of course) - but for me it would no doubt have complicated things. Luckily I saw it in time and jerked my hand back as it struck, so it glanced off of my hand instead of connecting. The trimming sheers did the rest. I do regret not re-homing it, but it was in a rock wall and could easily escape within - only to reappear when kids might have been playing there. Plus, I didn`t have a bucket handy and didn`t want to take my eyes off of it to fetch one.

Seems to me when I was a kiddie there were "no poisonous snakes" in Japan? One day I was playing around the rice patties and what as a kiddie I would describe as a cobra stood up in the grass filed boundary path just as tall as I was. I skedaddled out of there as fast as I could......got a gang of friends and went back on a snake hunt. He had vamoosed.

What but a cobra "stands up" ? Why lie to a kiddie???????

Japan has several poisonous snakes - but it is also true that some were not known to be poisonous until fairly recently. At least one doesn`t have traditional fangs, but does have `teeth` toward the back of their mouth and deliver digestive poison as they bite deep.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:42 am

I don't understand how there are still bears there. I'd be for sure they'd've been wiped out, if not for the fact they weren't.

Small island, lots of people, dangerous predator. Usually ends poorly for the predator.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 am

Major Malfunction wrote:I don't understand how there are still bears there. I'd be for sure they'd've been wiped out, if not for the fact they weren't.

Small island, lots of people, dangerous predator. Usually ends poorly for the predator.

A very high % of Japan is uninhabited - tall mountain ranges, lots of poorly armed natives to eat. So normally it does end poorly for the predator (mankind)...

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:15 am

Grinding some of my minor gears...
When you see a photo of what appears to be a delicious homemade dish, so you click on the recipe only to discover it was written by Chef Frankenstein and is merely an amalgamation of various types of processed foods.

Grinding some similar gears...
When someone posts a recipe on the Internet and it's poorly written...the ingredients are not in the order of use or improperly specified and the instructions are vague, but there are 85 similar pictures of the finished product and an endless personalized human interest story that no one cares about, usually referring to the husband as "Himself." I hate housewife blogs with a passion.
"Hi! I'm Jenny! I'm crafty and love to repurpose shit-covered garbage into really ugly home decor. Then, I write original recipes made from processed food straight from your grocer's canned food aisle. Join me!"

Only if I can bring a baseball bat, lady. :mrgreen:

"But look at this rustic towel rack I made from a discarded rusty rake head! Isn't it quaint and picturesque?"

What a fantastic idea. So when I slip on the wet floor and lose an eye on your "towel rack," the tetanus will be a bonus! How exactly do you get the rust stains out of your towels? :roll:

"Well, everyone loves my homemade authentic queso dip!"

That's because their taste buds have committed suicide in protest. You literally put Velveeta and a can of Rotel tomatoes in a bowl and stuck it in the microwave. You should be deported to Chihuahua until you learn how to make it correctly.
Ugh. These blogs turn me into the little-known eighth dwarf, Bitchy. ;) OTOH, there are diamonds in the rough, but I think I'll start a separate thread for useful websites.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Grinding some of my minor gears...
When you see a photo of what appears to be a delicious homemade dish, so you click on the recipe only to discover it was written by Chef Frankenstein and is merely an amalgamation of various types of processed foods.

Like all recipes.....it depends on the recipe???? Its rare to find recipes today that call for scratch beginnings. One of the most common: store bought Philo dough? Same with all the rest. I enjoyed cooking shows for a number of years. One of the more interesting and vapid was Sandra Lee's "Semi-Homemade Cooking." Prefab food becomes even more important as you start cooking "for one" and then lose your appetite.

its now debateable for me if cooking "anything" is worth the effort or just open a jar of peanut butter and a box of my favorite crackers.........and a beer..........and thats some gourmet cooking right there. No dishes either.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Aw - no fun if you haven`t grown those peanuts yourself and then blended them with a dollop of honey.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 pm

I am still making my own peanut butter. The trick for me was a "good base" made in the food processor by letting it run for 5 minutes or so for a real "soupy" base. For a few years, I stopped too early for the best result. With that ground peanut base.........then I'm ready to experiment. I still tend to add walnuts and ground flax seed then a bit of Olive Oil to keep the product spreadable. After That.... I go crazy. Most recently, adding ground dehydrated cranberries looking for a peanut butter and jelly combo right out of the jar. Everything tastes good on a cheeze-it..... and every so often I have to return to a simple crunchy peanut butter to cleanse my pallet. I call it FITK (Fun In the Kitchen) with ymmv.

I just added some old honey to the batch from my cupboard. Its several years old and semi crystalized which doesn't bother me but it is turning "blacker" now, well past brown. I don't remember first getting this honey as it was from a friend and not store bought, but I assume it was honey colored to begin with? It doens't smell or grow mold....so I'm using it up now in peanut butter (very small amount) or in fruit smoothies..not that much as it does have a flavor of its own.

If you don't post back otherwise, I'll assume this old honey is safe to eat........taste being a separate issue.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:49 pm

There are fresh but dark honeys - but most honey turns darker as it ages. If it passes a taste test, and doesn`t give off a loud hiss as you open the jar, it is still good to eat as is. If it does hiss, you can still use it in cooking.

I grow my own peanuts and boil them instead of baking/frying them, and eat the boiled ones right out of the pod once chilled.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Grinding some of my minor gears...

Like all recipes.....it depends on the recipe???? Its rare to find recipes today that call for scratch beginnings. One of the most common: store bought Philo dough?
Yes, it depends on the recipe. And I retract my completely snotty disdain for minor exceptions like phyllo dough and puff pastry, which are exceedingly difficult to make correctly. But biscuits are easy and fast, since it's not a yeast dough. And the dishes amount to a bowl, a rolling pin, a biscuit cutter, and a cookie sheet (which you'd be using anyway).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Same with all the rest. I enjoyed cooking shows for a number of years. One of the more interesting and vapid was Sandra Lee's "Semi-Homemade Cooking."
I watched her show a couple times. Mostly I cringed and wondered how much she'd had to drink before filming.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Prefab food becomes even more important as you start cooking "for one" and then lose your appetite.
Again, it depends on the recipe. There are tons of balanced and nutritious meals you can make from scratch quickly and with minimal effort. Poach a chicken breast (20 minutes) and get two meals out of it:
  • Slice half to make an awesome sandwich with garden tomatoes, bufalo mozzarella, fresh basil, and a drizzle of EVOO.
  • Chop the other half and add it to a salad of romaine hearts, walnuts, dried cranberries, slivered Vidalia onion, shaved parmigiano reggiano, and balsamic vinaigrette.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:09 am

I live on frozen meals. Or I'll make a big batch of something and live off that for a week. {!#%@} cooking and dishes.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:45 am

My wife keeps leaving the goddamn toilet seat down.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:09 am

That you can even think that meanz you are from the evil version uv this universe, like the Mirror, Mirror episode uv Star Trek.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Slice half to make an awesome sandwich with garden tomatoes, bufalo mozzarella, fresh basil, and a drizzle of EVOO.

Soundz good! I'm going to try that, exept I will haf to substitute OHOO* sins I'm low on $.

*old hor oliv oyl
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Aztexan wrote:My wife keeps leaving the goddamn toilet seat down.

Why is this even an argument?

It takes more energy to lift it up, than put it down. When you lift it up you have to invest energy. When you put it down it's a free gravity assist. You're using the energy that someone already put in the system, and you're complaining about it.

The amount of energy you just used wagging your chin far outweighs the amount of energy you have to exert to flick your finger to tip the balance offset and stand back while gravity does the rest. You never have to lift the thing.

Bloody entitled female privilege, is what.

The most pertinent and common arguments I've heard for seat down are, "In the middle of the night when a girl needs to pee, she doesn't want to sit on the cold porcelain rim."

My answer is, "Well, she should learn how to use a toilet, and look before she sits."

I mean, it's not like fusion technology. The seat can be up, or down. If you can't figure that out, then you should surrender your iPhone.

"But only females live here!" Then you can distribute the load of {!#%@} across the population.

I've actually dumped two chicks because of this "argument".

I left the lid down, and made the dunny roll roll from the front.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Or tell her she can buy one of those Japanese robot toilets that do everything for her lazy arse with her own coin.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Or tell her she can buy one of those Japanese robot toilets that do everything for her lazy arse with her own coin.

Which are great, BTW. Automatic lid lift upon sensor identification that a person has approached, then a push of a button if the seat needs to be raised, or if the lid needs to be closed. When done, self closing and flushing if you haven`t pushed the `done` button.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm only airing my grievance. I am trained to put the seat up. I don't want to get in trouble. My momma dint raise no dummy.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:14 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:Or tell her she can buy one of those Japanese robot toilets that do everything for her lazy arse with her own coin.

Which are great, BTW. Automatic lid lift upon sensor identification that a person has approached, then a push of a button if the seat needs to be raised, or if the lid needs to be closed. When done, self closing and flushing if you haven`t pushed the `done` button.

Do they have a comb and blow-wave button? Or maybe a hipster wax and twirl?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32 am

Aztexan wrote:I'm only airing my grievance. I am trained to put the seat up. I don't want to get in trouble. My momma dint raise no dummy.

You can always tell the difference between militants and civvies, because one follows the path, and one walks on the grass.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:14 am

Major Malfunction wrote:{!#%@} cooking and dishes.
You're doing it wrong. :P

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:15 am

JO 753 wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Slice half to make an awesome sandwich with garden tomatoes, bufalo mozzarella, fresh basil, and a drizzle of EVOO.

Soundz good! I'm going to try that, exept I will haf to substitute OHOO* sins I'm low on $.

*old hor oliv oyl

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:28 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Aztexan wrote:My wife keeps leaving the goddamn toilet seat down.
Bloody entitled female privilege, is what.

The most pertinent and common arguments I've heard for seat down are, "In the middle of the night when a girl needs to pee, she doesn't want to sit on the cold porcelain rim."

My answer is, "Well, she should learn how to use a toilet, and look before she sits."

I mean, it's not like fusion technology. The seat can be up, or down. If you can't figure that out, then you should surrender your iPhone.

"But only females live here!" Then you can distribute the load of {!#%@} across the population.

I've actually dumped two chicks because of this "argument".

I left the lid down, and made the dunny roll roll from the front.
How about a logical argument? Men and women use toilets both to pee and poo. Out of the four activities, three require the seat to be down. Therefore, your urinary requirements are in the minority. :mrgreen: (Seriously, though, who doesn't look before they sit on a toilet?)

In my house, we use the "we have dogs" argument and request that guests put both seat and lid down so the toilet doesn't get mistaken for a magically-refilling water bowl. :roll:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:07 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:{!#%@} cooking and dishes.
You're doing it wrong. :P

So you're anti-bachelor? One of those people who believe the whole you can only be happy as a reproductive couple nuclear family propaganda BS, huh?

I see you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTDcKcMSoiI

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:09 am

I thought the toilet seat position was ONLY a set up for comedians? In real life....can it possibly be an issue?????? Its never come up in my life or that of my friends as they might report.

I think its actually a kind of pernicious misogyny: women are too stupid to look before they use, so help the dumb bunnies out. Ha, ha......then this stupidity is taken up as a woman's rights issue. Do we now also have to park the car always face in or out so the dears don't get confused trying to go to the store?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:20 am

For reals, mate. Some chicks actually make it an issue. I thought they were joking, but nah, they were {!#%@} serious.

They're exes. I survived.

I was like, this is BS. And buggered off. Left the lid down, And the dunny roll from the front.

It's like a super-power, or something.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:32 am

Arguing about.........almost anything........ is mostly about "power". This really crystallized for me watching Dr Phil one day: "Do you want to be right or happy?" So.....if your bunny wants the toilet seat down, pretty stupid not to do it. Ha, ha....I wonder, the poetic justice of leaving the seat down and peeing all over it? "You wanted it down. I'm just matching stupid with stupid."

................now, if you want to be happy.................................

Return to “The Nexus”