What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 pm
Don't think they hand out their security cam footage to just anyone that asks. Sorry to disappoint.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 pm
Don't think they hand out their security cam footage to just anyone that asks. Sorry to disappoint.
If you armed robbery the place, your lawyer can get you a copy.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:56 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 am
Gord wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:11 am
Dammit.

https://o.canada.com/news/hard-to-read- ... age-errors
...when it came to the all-important font size, only 44 per cent met the recommendation to use 12-point lettering, the smallest size considered to provide ease of reading....
12-point font size has letters that are 4.2 mm in height: https://www.google.ca/search?num=20&q=H ... 94&bih=436

A font with letters of approximately 1.2 mm would be a 3.5 point font. :irk: What demented idiot decided to use 3.5 point font on a medicine bottle!
The people who had to keep adding ever more information and warnings and thought that^ be better than to send the customer home with a container the size of a small car. Or simply add a piece of paper. :?
There would be plenty of room on the label if they would just get rid of the picture of a flower on the bottle, or reduce the font that proudly shouts "CHERRY FLAVOURED!"

Also, they did include a piece of paper with the same information on it, but they also still used the same sized font!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Oh look, they have changed the label!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/equate-b12 ... gLBbfD_BwE

Got rid of the flower. Now it has a lot of empty space instead. Still uses the same font size for the instructions, though.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:35 pm

5:23 AM B/P 153/86
6:47 AM B/P 98/58

And the VA's "Vascular Surgery Clinic II" wants me to come in sooner than originally planned. Never heard of them.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 pm

Well, I'm about on my 5th email with a charming young lady from Russia who is looking for a serious relationship. She initiated the email to me as so many scammers have done but hers read a bit different so I responded briefly and surprisingly her longish reply was responsive to what I had written so I thought "maybe this is not computer generated." Its very interesting, each longish reply "touches on" some word in my email but is not actually responsive otherwise.

I very strongly suspect: the best Artificial Intelligent Chat Box Spanish Prisoner con I have yet seen. Hmmmm....maybe the poor girl who was happy growing up lonely in an orphanage is real, but if so, all too much wrapped up in herself? Or those Nigerians are getting better at English. For her own sake, I do hope she is a computer. She is on now to her great love of cooking and wonders if "women in my country" enjoy feeding their man? Its like she didn't notice or forgot that in response to a first question from her I told her my main hobby these days is baking/cooking with my latest endeavor being making Hard Apple Cider? yeah...my hobby is rather hit and miss. Takes more time than I am willing to write a convincing "engaged" response but I don't want to simply declare her a computer. So, I will greatly curtail my response and see if email No 6 even notes a change in my interest level.

I doubt it will. ///// I could punk the whole thing and go on about living in an orphanage is GREAT! and that women "in my country" can't cook at all. Maybe say that too is great as my experience is that skill on the stove top is inversely related to prowess in sexual matters and see if that oblique reference to "sex" draws her out irrelevantly on that matter?

Or maybe.....I should just respond to the Holocaust Denial sub forum and see how the chat boxes respond there. They haven't picked up on the hobbies or sex angle as yet. Heh, heh...…..I do crack myself up, but TIME is something I feel should be saved?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 am

Well.……..this is amusing. I just wrote a "kiss off" email to my Russian "best friend: Iliiua and in my inbox was an email "exactly the same" as the first letter from Iluiia except the name now is Anastasia. My plan: copy and paste my letters to Iliiua. See how the emails line up.

Damn………………...you know...……..it makes sense. Skynet will take over the world not by flesh powered hyper armed robot nanobots....but by some sort of sex related BS. I'm always amused at what little effort goes into anything made and controlled by hoomans.

I feel very happy right now...……….left to my own resources. I will fall on the floor laughing if Anastasia was also raised in an orphanage. WHY don't these Nigerian Hucksters keep their scams identified? Seems like a rather simple process to me...………… Just "a little bit" of knowing supervision and these "non directive chat boxes" could be very much more effective.

……………………………………………………………………..Hah, hah...…...what are the odds both Iiliiua and Natasha are "real" and both happen to be "accountants in a small bookkeeping firm in Novograd?

Odds are?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm an old hand at online dating. The scammers are really easy to spot. I get a lot from Eastern Europe and China.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 am
WHY don't these Nigerian Hucksters keep their scams identified? Seems like a rather simple process to me...………… Just "a little bit" of knowing supervision and these "non directive chat boxes" could be very much more effective.
Wy do you think theyre Nigerian? Its more likely they are Russian, even tho that meanz at least 1 thing iz true.

Trying to personalize the responsez woud be difficult if each operator iz manajing 10,000 contacts a day. They depend on men wanting to beleev. Trying to embellish or ajust the story to persuade a skeptic iz not worth the effort wen they hav so many bleevrz ready to gloss over inconsistensyz and fill in blanks on their own.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 am
WHY don't these Nigerian Hucksters keep their scams identified? Seems like a rather simple process to me...………… Just "a little bit" of knowing supervision and these "non directive chat boxes" could be very much more effective.
Wy do you think theyre Nigerian? Its more likely they are Russian, even tho that meanz at least 1 thing iz true.

Trying to personalize the responsez woud be difficult if each operator iz manajing 10,000 contacts a day. They depend on men wanting to beleev. Trying to embellish or ajust the story to persuade a skeptic iz not worth the effort wen they hav so many bleevrz ready to gloss over inconsistensyz and fill in blanks on their own.
I agree Jo. I got a bit stuck on the Nigerians as the last 10 scams I have gotten in about the past 3 months have all been "I need to deposit $$$$ into your bank account in order to prevent my xyz from stealing it. I will give you 20% for your services.".....which like all scams could come from anywhere but I think the Nigerians got credit early in the parade? Alternatively what with buying some computer stuff, I have also gotten quite a few notices of failed delivery notices for items I never ordered with links to resolve the issue. I NEVER open links in email from unknown/unexpected sources.

Russian dating scammer DID just personalize the email to me. As iiliua likes to cook and loves all kind of potatoes I asked if she had a recipe for Shepperd's pie and she wrote back that she does. Didn't provide the recipe.....guess I'll have to send her the money for a plane trip to get it??????? She did fail to pick up on my message that I would be out of town for a few days. That will leave her in the park with her thinking the wind in her hair is my fingers gently touching her. Quite a poetic endeavor going on there. Seems she has a valid work visa for the USA, but no money. Hmmmm....what to do? I'm waiting to see if Anastasia writes a second letter....maybe I could put the two of them together?

It is a waste of time.....but years ago I thought that Artificial Chat Boxes that were being developed for on line psychiatrict counseling could be adapted to "dating services." Even the real deal often uses "open ended/non-directed" responses to get the clients to talk comfortably before working on the underlying issues. I don't think it would be that hard to be much better than what this scam artist/pool is using. Ha, ha.....I pity the poor con artist: so much competition, they reveal each other. "It ain't easy being a pimp out here."

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:28 pm
I'm an old hand at online dating. The scammers are really easy to spot. I get a lot from Eastern Europe and China.
I agree MM, that is why this Russian bookkeeper caught my attention. It was on the border line for a first contact but the second email was very personalized with the following emails sounding more computer generated. Hmmmm, is it my interest in the Turing Test or could I actually EVER be interested in a women less than half my age? Ha, ha...…….it is true though.... the older I get, the looser my grip on reality. Feeling more "parental" than aroused. The pictures she has provided so far are very demure, but is now showing a bit more skin as she is showing me her gym. Also attached a video of her workout. Hotmail has a "preview" function for photos that allows virus free viewing....I wonder if the same applies to videos? NOT to be downloaded, but just previewed?

iliiua's emails have all been sent at 8:10 AM plus or minus 5 minutes. Anastasia's came at 12:40 AM. Looks like I have about 9 hours for her second effort? I wonder if it will be the same photo????

……………..I need a better hobby?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Bobbo

If you need to find a wife, take a trip to the Philippines.

I was there a few years ago, when I was 64 years old (scuba diving trip). The place is full of young and beautiful girls living in poverty and desperate to find a nice western man to take them away.

I was chatting to a group of girls, aged about 16 to 21, and one of them suddenly asked me if I was looking for a girl. Note that I was then 64 years old. My reply was that I was too old, too ugly and too married to be looking for a girl.

They all looked at me for a period of a few seconds. One told me I was not too old. A second told me I was not ugly. But the married bit was a deal breaker. They lost interest and wandered off.

But if they were willing to take an ugly 64 year old seriously as a marriage prospect, then they will look at anyone. But I recommend you go there, so you can select the right one on the spot. They are mostly Roman Catholic, and mostly learn English at school, which they speak very well. The main drawback, as I have been told, is that they expect support for their family. But we have Philippine women here in NZ who came to marry desperate guys, and I have been told they are wonderful wives.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:03 am

Heh, heh....thanks Lance. But I made a "rule" for myself not to even date anyone less than half my age. ((Favorite Movie Line of all time from GhostBusters: "Its really not a rule, actually, just a guideline."

I've been to the Phillipines...three times. Like yourself, Scuba...easier to get around than Japan. Not as chaotic as Thailand. There is a variety of Phillipinas that are tall, slim, and incredibly attractive: got a bit of French in them, or their moms did? I am philosophically and attitudinally against it...and don't want the often immediate baggage of denying support to the rest of their families...……………..but...………...probably cheaper than a visiting nurse?========>when THAT times comes. Just how mercenary can I be?

If they weren't getting 500 year typhoons every 3 years, I could seriously consider moving there. Outside of but an hour away from a good sized city?

its good to have options...………………...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 am

Just got off a 90 minute CHAT with Comcast. They wanted to charge me $70 for a technicians visit that came out to replace a bad DVR and service line to my house. Yada, yada, yada...…….complete and total BS from start to finish. Textbook FRAUD on its face with excuses that fall apart even as uttered. They finally took it off "as a courtesy." Monopolies. ONLY cable provider in Sacramento. The rest are satellite with little to no download service.

You gotta pay attention to those bills...…………..

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 am

I just got my Comcast servis restarted. (my fault for running outa money)

Its like evrything iz new to them! 'Well, lets try this... Iz it working now?' Az if they are experimenting with a new system and I am helping debug from the field. 'OK, pull the plug and wait a wile, then plug it bak in.' And therez alwayz a bunch uv chatter & noize in the bakground.

I got a good joke in - There wuz a very loud comotion and a big cheer just az the internet finally came up on my computer and he sez 'our power just went out'. I sed 'I must hav overloaded the entire system. 1 too many customerz'.

Uv course, after I hung up I found that the internet wuznt really working yet. The next person I tokt to sounded like a Filipino girl, probably in the Filipinez. She got it working!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:14 am

Comcast is very prone to the "keep calling until you get someone who can give you the answer you want" game. When appropriate: ask for a $20 credit for your troubles...…….and/or ask if they have any specials going on that you qualify for. I've been getting HBO or Starz for free in 3 month packages for two years now.

I'm just about ready to quit again for 3 months in order to qualify as a "new customer" to get those LOW introductory rates. A nice 3 month gap will allow me to try to cut the cord. Last time....I got satellite instead and was gone for 3 years. Quit Direct TV to become a New Customer for them too.

its a rat race...…...learn to run. What SURPRISES ME is that the satellite service is more stable and the software less glitchy than Comcast. Comcast has better programing though: three channels of PBS which I watch a lot of.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:17 am

Get one of those whatchamacallit boxes and watch lotsa PBS via free antenna...
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:25 am

Eggs: I'm 40 miles from the Towers and cannot get a signal. I used to get 3 channels off my 30 foot antenna tower, but now: nothing. Nothing from the tower (I suspect a broken line but damned if I can take the tower down "by myself") and nothing from any kind of antenna held in my hand by the window, open door, or standing on tippy toes. Local electronics store (Fry's) sells amplified antennas but has admitted few of their customers can get anything. They use internal feeds themselves but no one says why for sure.

I just about have free internet tv working fairly well. Haven't found the equivalent of recording from a linked schedule of shows though.....that is what being 3 months without cable would "force" me to finally really look into. I suspect evetrything I want is available through "Plex" connected to my VLC player, but I'm just too illiterate to figure out how to do it. Came close one day...….but erased the operating files VLC had. "Had the recipe for ice cubes, but lost it: no more mixed drinks!!!!!

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:29 am

Sounds like a very localised nuclear war to me, bobbo. Have you noticed any hair loss or extra fingers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:35 pm

And the VA's "Vascular Surgery Clinic II" wants me to come in sooner than originally planned. Never heard of them.
The VA clinic visit was for a consult that was moot six months ago. :roll:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:01 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

But something is about to happen that has not happened for an age.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:38 am

Poodle wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:29 am
Sounds like a very localised nuclear war to me, bobbo. Have you noticed any hair loss or extra fingers?
I blame: the Deep State, or in this Case: Comcast. Just tying down their local monopoly.

I am very sad to report no email from iuliia or Anastasia after 36 hours. I hope the girls weren't in some kind of accident or office flu going around? Heh, heh....looks to me like the night shift and the day shift at Fraud-U compared email lists? But DAMN LANCE: I'm thinking about those Phillipinas again. Damn Pros and Cons....especially when the Pros have a lot of cons about them as well? Oh well, a few more years of beer....and little Bob can take over the thinking duties.

Speaking of beer and Poodle: I opened up a bottle of my two year old Banana Wine that tastes a bit "stringent' and smells like some kind of petroleum product.....but, mixed with some store bought wine, its drinkable. I have made zero batches of good banana wine but its 50/50 on the Hard Apple Cider. Something to do........and not in the Phillipines.......

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 am

Got a call today.

Started with silens, but just az I wuz going to hang up a robot vois sez hello. After a second silens a real person sez hello.

Obviously a skammer, I think, but then he identifiez himself by name and that he'z from Comcast.

After the usual identification requests he asks if I intend to restore my account.

I sed 'You gotta get your act together. I restored my account yesterday.'

He offered sum mumbled excusez and I sed 'With your own internal communicationz being such a mess, wy shoud anybody expect you to be able to provide them with communication servisez?'

He stammered out more appolojiez and then az part uv the about to end the call schpiel he probably spits out 100 timez a day: '...if youd like to restore your servis within 7 dayz pleaze ca...' I interrupted with 'its on now! wut are you tokking about?'

More appolojiez, then he started to say by agen.

I sed 'wait a minit. Iz my internet still on? Will I find I'm disconnected agen wen I try to get online in a minit?'

'No sir, youre good to go' + more appolojizing.

I sed 'You can understand wy I'm skeptical. I'll beleev it wen I see it.'
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:10 am

Comcast does have a fractured system. Large groups of people/services unable to talk to one another. Folks required to stick to a script and not knowing much English not used in the script. My beef: very few folks even using Comcast services themselves so their real understanding of common issues is absent.....except the next line on the script.

Hmmmmm...… bad service, most expensive. Just HOW do they do it?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:31 am

Gord wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:01 am
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:28 am
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

But something is about to happen that has not happened for an age.
Ach! Tha moot be true, laddie!