Flags

Where have we been?
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Flags

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm

A few years back, the Prime Minister of my country, New Zealand, looked at our national flag and decided it was no longer appropriate. For those who do not know, it consists of the British Union Jack and the Southern Cross. If it means anything, it says "Britain in the south ". I agree with John Key (now ex PM). The flag is stupid. A referendum was held and our idiot citizens voted to keep it unchanged.

The Australian flag is very similar, and even more stupid, since it adds unnecessary complexity (two more stars). One flag I do like is the Canadian flag. It is a simple maple leaf in its glorious autumn colour. It adheres to the KISS principle, and is an immediately recognisable symbol of Canada. Good stuff.

Another flag which I think is utterly awful is that of the USA. What a horrible, messy garish symbol of a nation. Yuk. It certainly does not keep to the KISS principle.

A nice flag is that of India. A simple spinning wheel, designed by Mahatma Gandhi. It keeps to the KISS principle, and represents peaceful and productive effort.

What is your view of your nations flag ? Do you think it is appropriate .? IS it simple ? Could it be, and should it be improved ?

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Re: Flags

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:32 pm

I like the Stars and Stripes. What it lacks in simplicity it makes up for in not looking like some non-memorable generic flag that won a design contest. And it's still simple enough that a school child can make a decent copy of it.

Unlike for example ...

Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Appropriate? What a strange idea. The flag of the United Kingdom (not Britain) is a historical document, a symbol, and an oft-abused rallying point. All national flags should be like that. The concept of flag-fiddling to create 'something more contemporary' is sacrilege and the perpetrators should be flogged. In Public. You've got the All Blacks as a world-beating national symbol. Don't be greedy.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:43 pm

Poodle

We live in a changing world. Don't be a stuck in the rut conservative desperately trying to prevent such change. Embrace it.

Abdul
The picture you posted is indeed horrible. But one bad flag does not justify another. Personally, I like simple and memorable, like the Canada flag.

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Coolest flags EVAR :P

Chile
Malaysia
Liberia
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Also, the EU flag is pretty good, but it seems to be missing something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Europe

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 pm

The Malaysia and Liberia flags are too much like the silly USA flag. The Chile flag is OK, but I do not see how it relates to anything specifically Chilean.

I had a look at all the flags for all nations. I am not terribly impressed with flags made up of assorted stripes, stars and crosses. No matter what colour they are. Totally unoriginal and unrelated to their nation. There are no fewer than three flags showing the rising sun, though with differing colours. Swaziland has a solitary star, which has the virtue of simplicity, though it is hard to see how this relates to Swaziland. Cyprus has an outline map of Cyprus. Papua New Guinea has an outline of their national flower.

But I still think Canada is number one, and India number two.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:05 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Poodle

We live in a changing world. Don't be a stuck in the rut conservative desperately trying to prevent such change. Embrace it ...
I wasn't in full serious mode there, Lance. Sorry if it wasn't a bit more obvious. I sometimes overwork humour to death.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:18 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: For those who do not know, it (The New Zealand flag) consists of the British Union Jack and the Southern Cross. If it means anything, it says "Britain in the south ".
This is the Hawaiian Flag.
Hawaiian flag.jpg
It is an American trick to lure British people into thinking they are visiting an English colony, so the Americans can sell them more American pineapples.

Britain is going to object to this bad behaviour one day. That's the real reason John Bolton want's to close the International Criminal Courts. :lol:
[/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:33 am

Best flag evar
Spoiler:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:01 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:...One flag I do like is the Canadian flag. It is a simple maple leaf in its glorious autumn colour. It adheres to the KISS principle, and is an immediately recognisable symbol of Canada. Good stuff.

Another flag which I think is utterly awful is that of the USA. What a horrible, messy garish symbol of a nation. Yuk. It certainly does not keep to the KISS principle.

A nice flag is that of India. A simple spinning wheel, designed by Mahatma Gandhi. It keeps to the KISS principle, and represents peaceful and productive effort.

What is your view of your nations flag ? Do you think it is appropriate .? IS it simple ? Could it be, and should it be improved ?
I agree. And these are pretty popular concepts. For instance:

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?