The Case For Revisionism

Where have we been?
trustyoursources

The Case For Revisionism

Postby trustyoursources » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:59 am

"Mistakes of the past will never be repeated once we can forget how to repeat them."

If we consider today's history is censored by academia and lacks diversity and creativity. In the past history was controlled by government and religion. But how will history look in the future after humanities next great paradigm shift? Find out how we can improve history!

https://youtu.be/LgAjFK-lDZc

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby TJrandom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 am

Mistakes are not made because we remember how one was made in the past. They are simply made for a variety of reasons. Not remembering past mistakes means that there is no historical rememberance to brake a repetition.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:21 am

I wouldn't touch trustyoursources' sources with a ten-foot barge-pole. What a load of self-serving psycho-babble! It's difficult enough getting at truth in history without muddying the waters with this kind of {!#%@}. Revisionism for revisionism's sake is anathema to all serious historians and archaeologists (who are, after all, the ones doing all the hard work as opposed to those who think it's all too difficult so let's just make it up). The Victorians of the British Empire, for instance, practised historical revisionism on a vast scale to create justification for enslavement and daylight robbery, and it's taken until now to weed it all out - and now there's some bleedin' idiot trying to fix something that isn't broken.
Just say no, kids!
The version of history we have today, although far from perfect, is the most accurate we have ever had. There's a long way to go, though, and historical research is continuing in a painstaking and logical manner which results, usually, in a degree of concensus. This is an accepted and successful method which, eventually, rejects blind alleys, academic sleight-of-hand, and plain old propaganda. Long may it live and prosper.
Watch out - someone will be re-introducing phlogiston and the ether to science, soon.

EDIT: I took another look just in case it was a monumental piss-take. I came to the conclusion that it isn't.
EDIT 2: I took another another look around and I'm happy to say that trustyoursources has already posted in the forum and has had suitable responses.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:15 am

History isn't immutable: even if we agreed on all the facts (which we never really do), there will always be room for interpretation; and that is a good thing.
Human interactions are 2nd order system, which means that not only do we act according to how we perceive the present and future, but also how we assume others do. This means that what was once a mistake might become a successful move if others don't anticipate it.
Staying anti-fragile is a wise move.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am

ElectricMonk wrote:History isn't immutable: even if we agreed on all the facts (which we never really do), there will always be room for interpretation; and that is a good thing.
Human interactions are 2nd order system, which means that not only do we act according to how we perceive the present and future, but also how we assume others do. This means that what was once a mistake might become a successful move if others don't anticipate it.
Staying anti-fragile is a wise move.

I completely agree. Accepted history is in constant flux in the light of new evidence - as it should be - and is constantly discussed - as it should be. That doesn't mean that it should be subject to complete reinterpretation merely because of a modern political agenda (ESPECIALLY on the basis of uninformed opinion). I give you Winston Smith and the Ministry of Truth.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 am

I spent 25 years archiving information on WWII in the hopes that WWIII could be avoided.

BTW, saw this recently: "I don't care about the Third World War, that's the Third World's problem!"
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:41 pm

:lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm

TJrandom wrote:Mistakes are not made because we remember how one was made in the past. They are simply made for a variety of reasons. Not remembering past mistakes means that there is no historical rememberance to brake a repetition.

Remember the criminally insane leader who called the Germans a "master race" and propelled the world to war?

Now we have two criminally insane leaders, one who thinks Americans are God's Chosen People, John Bolton, and Benjamin Netanyahu who thinks that the Israelis are God's Chosen People, who are propelling the world toward war.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm

trustyoursources wrote:"Mistakes of the past will never be repeated once we can forget how to repeat them."

If we consider today's history is censored by academia and lacks diversity and creativity. In the past history was controlled by government and religion. But how will history look in the future after humanities next great paradigm shift? Find out how we can improve history!

Libertarian babbletube.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
trustyoursources wrote:"Mistakes of the past will never be repeated once we can forget how to repeat them."

Libertarian babbletube.

Regulating history to be all positive "with just a few simple community rules and guidelines" as the linked video proposes, seems anything but libertarian imho.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I spent 25 years archiving information on WWII in the hopes that WWIII could be avoided.

BTW, saw this recently: "I don't care about the Third World War, that's the Third World's problem!"

Yesterday I overheard "Trump should bomb the Russians in Syria. The US whupped the Russians ass in WWII, and they can do it again."
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:47 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I spent 25 years archiving information on WWII in the hopes that WWIII could be avoided.

Yesterday I overheard "Trump should bomb the Russians in Syria. The US whupped the Russians ass in WWII, and they can do it again."

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make them think.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Geez, I'd settle for self aware.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “History”