The Case For Revisionism

Where have we been?
trustyoursources
New Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:09 am

The Case For Revisionism

Postby trustyoursources » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:59 am

"Mistakes of the past will never be repeated once we can forget how to repeat them."

If we consider today's history is censored by academia and lacks diversity and creativity. In the past history was controlled by government and religion. But how will history look in the future after humanities next great paradigm shift? Find out how we can improve history!

https://youtu.be/LgAjFK-lDZc

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8655
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby TJrandom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 am

Mistakes are not made because we remember how one was made in the past. They are simply made for a variety of reasons. Not remembering past mistakes means that there is no historical rememberance to brake a repetition.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Poodle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:21 am

I wouldn't touch trustyoursources' sources with a ten-foot barge-pole. What a load of self-serving psycho-babble! It's difficult enough getting at truth in history without muddying the waters with this kind of {!#%@}. Revisionism for revisionism's sake is anathema to all serious historians and archaeologists (who are, after all, the ones doing all the hard work as opposed to those who think it's all too difficult so let's just make it up). The Victorians of the British Empire, for instance, practised historical revisionism on a vast scale to create justification for enslavement and daylight robbery, and it's taken until now to weed it all out - and now there's some bleedin' idiot trying to fix something that isn't broken.
Just say no, kids!
The version of history we have today, although far from perfect, is the most accurate we have ever had. There's a long way to go, though, and historical research is continuing in a painstaking and logical manner which results, usually, in a degree of concensus. This is an accepted and successful method which, eventually, rejects blind alleys, academic sleight-of-hand, and plain old propaganda. Long may it live and prosper.
Watch out - someone will be re-introducing phlogiston and the ether to science, soon.

EDIT: I took another look just in case it was a monumental piss-take. I came to the conclusion that it isn't.
EDIT 2: I took another another look around and I'm happy to say that trustyoursources has already posted in the forum and has had suitable responses.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3777
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:15 am

History isn't immutable: even if we agreed on all the facts (which we never really do), there will always be room for interpretation; and that is a good thing.
Human interactions are 2nd order system, which means that not only do we act according to how we perceive the present and future, but also how we assume others do. This means that what was once a mistake might become a successful move if others don't anticipate it.
Staying anti-fragile is a wise move.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Poodle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am

ElectricMonk wrote:History isn't immutable: even if we agreed on all the facts (which we never really do), there will always be room for interpretation; and that is a good thing.
Human interactions are 2nd order system, which means that not only do we act according to how we perceive the present and future, but also how we assume others do. This means that what was once a mistake might become a successful move if others don't anticipate it.
Staying anti-fragile is a wise move.

I completely agree. Accepted history is in constant flux in the light of new evidence - as it should be - and is constantly discussed - as it should be. That doesn't mean that it should be subject to complete reinterpretation merely because of a modern political agenda (ESPECIALLY on the basis of uninformed opinion). I give you Winston Smith and the Ministry of Truth.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 20910
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 am

I spent 25 years archiving information on WWII in the hopes that WWIII could be avoided.


BTW, saw this recently: "I don't care about the Third World War, that's the Third World's problem!"
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9005
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Poodle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:41 pm

:lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5121
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm

TJrandom wrote:Mistakes are not made because we remember how one was made in the past. They are simply made for a variety of reasons. Not remembering past mistakes means that there is no historical rememberance to brake a repetition.


Remember the criminally insane leader who called the Germans a "master race" and propelled the world to war?

Now we have two criminally insane leaders, one who thinks Americans are God's Chosen People, John Bolton, and Benjamin Netanyahu who thinks that the Israelis are God's Chosen People, who are propelling the world toward war.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 20910
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:35 pm

trustyoursources wrote:"Mistakes of the past will never be repeated once we can forget how to repeat them."

If we consider today's history is censored by academia and lacks diversity and creativity. In the past history was controlled by government and religion. But how will history look in the future after humanities next great paradigm shift? Find out how we can improve history!

https://youtu.be/LgAjFK-lDZc

Libertarian babbletube.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5121
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
trustyoursources wrote:"Mistakes of the past will never be repeated once we can forget how to repeat them."

If we consider today's history is censored by academia and lacks diversity and creativity. In the past history was controlled by government and religion. But how will history look in the future after humanities next great paradigm shift? Find out how we can improve history!

https://youtu.be/LgAjFK-lDZc

Libertarian babbletube.


Regulating history to be all positive "with just a few simple community rules and guidelines" as the linked video proposes, seems anything but libertarian imho.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10984
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I spent 25 years archiving information on WWII in the hopes that WWIII could be avoided.


BTW, saw this recently: "I don't care about the Third World War, that's the Third World's problem!"


Yesterday I overheard "Trump should bomb the Russians in Syria. The US whupped the Russians ass in WWII, and they can do it again."
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 20910
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:47 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I spent 25 years archiving information on WWII in the hopes that WWIII could be avoided.


BTW, saw this recently: "I don't care about the Third World War, that's the Third World's problem!"


Yesterday I overheard "Trump should bomb the Russians in Syria. The US whupped the Russians ass in WWII, and they can do it again."

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make them think.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10984
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: The Case For Revisionism

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Geez, I'd settle for self aware.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero


Return to “History”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest