The War Prayer by Mark Twain

Where have we been?
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

The War Prayer by Mark Twain

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 am

When Dubya launched Shock and Awe on the totally blameless people of Iraq his popularity rating went from around 40% to over 80%, the highest recorded for a sitting president.

Now, Trump's saber-rattling has apparently created a jump in his popularity:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/0 ... /23075076/

The hyping of militarism prior to the Spanish-American War inspired Mark Twain to write the War Prayer:
https://warprayer.org/
On the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Upton_O_Goode
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: O_I_Lovett

Re: The War Prayer by Mark Twain

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 am

Tom Palven wrote:When Dubya launched Shock and Awe on the totally blameless people of Iraq his popularity rating went from around 40% to over 80%, the highest recorded for a sitting president.

Now, Trump's saber-rattling has apparently created a jump in his popularity:
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/0 ... /23075076/

The hyping of militarism prior to the Spanish-American War inspired Mark Twain to write the War Prayer:
https://warprayer.org/

I thought Dubya's popularity jumped when the war started in Afghanistan, 17 months before Shock and Awe. But there is no doubt that war tends to make Presidents popular. Again, about the timing, I believe the War Prayer was written around 1905, some time after the Spanish-American War. Twain didn't object to our fighting Spain. He did object to our taking over their empire for ourselves. But i have always loved the War Prayer. I have more to say on this, but I'll have to edit to put it in. Back in a few minutes.

Back now. Here's what I posted on the "Donnydämmerung" thread:

Upton_O_Goode wrote:If this is indeed "wag the dog," Trump will rightly expect all Americans to unite behind their President. (Trust me, this will be a MAJOR theme of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and the others, and anyone who dares to criticize Trump for anything will be called a traitor.) Well, they are right: We must do so, exactly the way Republicans united behind Bill Clinton when he went to war to sort out the Bosnians.

Verbatim quotes from when Clinton was committing troops to Bosnia (per DailyKos):

"You can support the troops but not the president."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

[Thanks, Tom. I'll remember that.]

"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."
---Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

[Um, no, Joe. You're thinking of Afghanistan.]

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
---Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

[How about "to stop a genocide." Is that a good enough explanation? A propos of that, number of American servicemen killed in Bosnia: 0. Number of American servicemen killed in Iraq: 4000+. Where's your explanation, Sean?]

"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
---Sen Rick Santorum (R-PA)

[Something we always need to keep in mind, Rick.]

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."
---Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

[And blustering and then backing down makes Trump feel SOOO good!]

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain the y have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
---Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

[Glad you kept that in mind in 2003, Dubya.]

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
---Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

[Trent, you're truly a Man of Peace. God bless you!]

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
-Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

[Thank God, Trump has laid careful plans in consultation with his generals. And he helped to get us ready by announcing a ban on trans-gendered troops. Just the thing we need to do if we're looking for victory.]

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
-Governor George W Bush (R-TX)

[Apparently, Clinton's exit strategy should have been to plaster a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED sign on an aircraft carrier and strut aboard wearing a jump suit.]

About 24 hours after this was posted, Sebastian Gorka was on the air saying, "If you're not with Donald Trump, you're not a patriot." But after the renewed outrage over his attempt to give cover to Nazis and the KKK, I don't think people will unite behind him.
"I used to fall for the old post hoc, ergo propter hoc reasoning, but last year I took a course in logic and now I no longer do."

"So that course cured you of a logical fallacy."

"Well....possibly."

Return to “History”