Facebook knows you well.

What does make the world turn?
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Facebook knows you well.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Reference, New Scientist, 10 March 2018, page 42

If you are active on Facebook, computers can determine your personality type just from the likes you post. Standard personality tests determine the Big Five. That is, the level of your openness, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and extroversion.

If you have posted 9 likes, the analysing computer can determine your personality as well as a colleague. 65 likes and the accuracy is equal to a friend. 125 likes and it is equal to a family member. But most people will have posted around 225 likes, and the accuracy is now equal to that of a spouse. The computer 'knows ' your age, gender, intelligence, sexuality, political and religious views, relationship status, and more.

This puts all that information into the hands of corporations. This makes advertisements much more effective. It has even been suggested that such advertisements are the reason Trump was elected. One of the corporations involved is Cambridge Analytica, which is known to be interested in using such data politically. We do not know really if this happened, but if it has not yet happened, it will.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Facebook knows you well.

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 pm

........... and..........?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:33 pm

I use Failbook to log onto sites I don't normally visit. Otherwise I ignore it.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Facebook determines personality?
I have no Facebook
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait..
trump is Putin's bitch

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 am

I have never been tempted and I have never looked at FB for anyone else. It always seemed a bit too public for me.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Aztexan wrote:Facebook determines personality?
I have no Facebook
Wait..

Wait for what? :scratch:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:21 pm

TJrandom wrote:I have never been tempted and I have never looked at FB for anyone else. It always seemed a bit too public for me.

Yep. See those teasers for "We can determine your ...xyz... by asking you 10 questions." I took one for guessing my IQ but quit when they got over 20 questions....not what I signed up for.

I assume.........almost anyone that dates using Tinder would quickly confirm using Facedbook? But using neither....I don't know. I can guess your age with ONE question: do you use social media?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:08 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Aztexan wrote:Facebook determines personality?
I have no Facebook
Wait..

Wait for what? :scratch:

For it...
trump is Putin's bitch

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 pm

I think I just figured out how to keep Oleg busy :P
trump is Putin's bitch

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Screw social media. It poisons the mind. It propagates disinformation. It's a virtual glass house with bit and pixelated stones flying out from within. It
It turns out I was only banned from Twitter for a week from the time I log in so I had to log in, wait a week, then I could resume firing my 280 character musket at the tyrant who degrades my land. It also turns out, wanting said tyrant's head on a pike on his proposed border wall, and calling for a bullet to the back of Putin's head IS SEVERELY FROWNED UPON IN THAT ESTABLISHMENT!!!
Anywhoo, I'm permanently banned from that cesspool of 1st amendment-denying filth.

I'm much, much better now
/r
trump is Putin's bitch

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Sorry, guys
trump is Putin's bitch

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Aztexan wrote:... calling for a bullet to the back of Putin's head IS SEVERELY FROWNED UPON IN THAT ESTABLISHMENT!!!

Yeah...seems to me when you recommend "any" action for just one person, that is raw politics. Now....if you had said "all politicians"....then that is philosophy, and surely will pass any mustard or other commendable condiment.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:41 am

Is Trump on facebook, and does Mueller know about this?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:33 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Aztexan wrote:... calling for a bullet to the back of Putin's head IS SEVERELY FROWNED UPON IN THAT ESTABLISHMENT!!!

Yeah...seems to me when you recommend "any" action for just one person, that is raw politics. Now....if you had said "all politicians"....then that is philosophy, and surely will pass any mustard or other commendable condiment.

I don't think all politicians deserve a bullet. Just the ones who orchestrate a treasonous coup against the US.
As for all politicians, maybe a good tar and feathering upon announcement of their running as a warning to fly straight, but not death.
trump is Putin's bitch

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:37 am

a bullet to the head would hardly damage most of them....unless it hits the greed and hypocrisy center. but I am rewarded by your recognition..........they do all need to be warned........if there in fact was any consequences. Not usually...........which drives what we see today.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 am

I think these kids that are marching will pay more attention, be involved, and help vote the crooked sonsofbitches out. I really think these kids are serious and I {!#%@} love them for that.
I could be wrong.
trump is Putin's bitch

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:18 am

I understand how you feel, Aztexan, but yeah they will sometimes bounce a guy for getting too graphic on Twitter. Still, there may be an element of random luck in it. I have blasted the mafioso-in-chief pretty hard without drawing a suspension.

I really prefer Twitter. Facebook bombarded me with pop-ups and emails and all kinds of annoying {!#%@}. And for years I have been hearing about their snooping and invasions of privacy. Somewhere I read the impossible story that Facebook claims to OWN ALL THE CONTENT that appears on their platform! (I replied that the Coca-Cola Company is sure going to miss owning that logo.)

This latest revelation, re Cambridge Analytica, is absolutely beyond the pale. We have allowed our privacy to drain away since the 1990s, mostly without a peep of protest. What will the situation look like in twenty years??? Some dystopian novel.

Imagine if people started cancelling their Facebook accounts in significant numbers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 am

Bart Stewart wrote: ... Imagine if people started cancelling their Facebook accounts in significant numbers.

Are they allowed to do that? Don`t they need to leave their face behind? - and do they even own their face if they wanted to take it with them?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 am

TJrandom wrote:
Bart Stewart wrote: ... Imagine if people started cancelling their Facebook accounts in significant numbers.

Are they allowed to do that? Don`t they need to leave their face behind? - and do they even own their face if they wanted to take it with them?

And is it legal to deface Facebook?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

And make them faceless?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 am

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

And make them faceless?

Defecate them at minimum.

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Now that you mention it, I have heard it is not easy to leave Facebook. You can always just abandon it, I guess.

What I heard once is that you have to delete each photograph on your account individually before they will close it. I cannot swear that this is the truth, but I heard that many years ago.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:07 am

Well, I always figured that if you go social media, then most of your personal details are going to be captured by somebody out there.

Actually you can limit some of it, or remove the "spies" but I wonder just how long it is before they are all back. If you click on the arrow on the far right hand side of the top index bar, and then click on settings, you will be able to click on Apps on the left hand side. This will show you all the Apps that are using your details for their own nefarious means. You have a choice of deleting the App or modifying some of what it can do. I was bloody amazed at how many where there. Still, will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to return. Problem is, if you keep clicking on links, then you are going to get all these Apps.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:22 am

Much better to stay off of Farcebook (funny that autocorrect knows), and just use forums that permit anonymous use. No guarantee that you won`t be hounded, but the likelihood is lessened.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 am

To a degree, it does not matter. We reveal ourselves with every post, including posts on this forum. Every internet search reveals to Google what your interests are. Once the personality analysing algorithms get to work on the massive amount of clues you leave on line, your every quirk is revealed.

What do you guys think of the latest news that Facebook personality tests on line have been used in Trumps presidential campaign? 50 million people affected, and targeted with special political advertisements to vote for Trump.

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”