Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

What does make the world turn?
User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:
Io wrote:18. negative results are just as good results as positive results
When I'm trying to cross the street, a negative search for cars is a positive result.
If you're 16 years old, and your pregnancy test returns a negative result, it's a positive result.
Especially if you're a guy.
Yeah, sure. 'Cause having to pay the piper a small percentage of your income for 18 years because you were too lazy to stick a dollar into a condom machine is horrendous. The pregnant teenaged girl only risks death1, anemia, miscarriage, preeclampsia, pregnancy-induced hypertension2, systemic infections, long-term medical complications, social and family stigma (and isolation), disrupted education3, postpartum depression, long-term poverty, and higher rates of domestic violence.

Not to mention the conditions for which the child is at increased risk, including premature birth, low birth weight4, lack of proper nutrition and health care, abuse and neglect, incarceration (boys), teen pregnancy (girls), and lack of education (both).

1 Globally, pregnancy and childbirth are the leading causes of death among girls ages 15 to 19. (WHO)
2 PIH inevitably leads to a Caesarean; doctors won't risk vaginal delivery in a patient with spiking BP. (NIH)
3 Half of teen mothers don't graduate high school (compared to only 10% of teen girls who don't get pregnant). (CDC)
4 Babies with low birth weights are forty times more likely to die and have dramatically increased rates of physical, cognitive, and emotional complications owing to immature organ systems. (CDC)

Yabbut, a guy's pregnancy would have to be ectopic, with all the complications which ensue.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9298
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby TJrandom » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:... because you were too lazy to stick a dollar into a condom machine is horrendous. ...


Erm... because both parties were too lazy to use protection. Certainly agree with the rest.

Several years ago I learned I have a niece from a younger brother`s school days whom I have never met, and I do have a sister, who due to complications of a botched HS era abortion never had a second pregnancy. If only sex education was given in those days and condoms along with other means of protection were openly available.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8885
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Aztexan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Luckily the female body has ways of shutting that down.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:51 pm

:hmm: Are you sure they didn't say "shooting"?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Tom-ate-to tom-ah-to
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Yabbut, a guy's pregnancy would have to be ectopic, with all the complications which ensue.
Weird. I've taken biology and anatomy, yet I never learned that men have Fallopian tubes. :mrgreen:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21630
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Yabbut, a guy's pregnancy would have to be ectopic, with all the complications which ensue.
Weird. I've taken biology and anatomy, yet I never learned that men have Fallopian tubes. :mrgreen:

By decree of the Emperor Fallopius.

You play them like tubas.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 am

TJrandom wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:... because you were too lazy to stick a dollar into a condom machine is horrendous. ...
Erm... because both parties were too lazy to use protection. Certainly agree with the rest.
Mostly, I agree, TJ. Here's the thought process that resulted in my wording:
  • Women have endless birth control options...but they all require a doctor's prescription, and they all mess with normal hormone production. Teen girls generally don't have access to a gynecologist without going through their mother.
  • Men have only one option...but it's the only method that can be bought OTC, and the only one that has zero side effects.
  • It's exceedingly rare to see condom machines in women's rest rooms so, for women, the purchase requires airing your private business in public, and there's still a strong (and rather stupid) social stigma surrounding women who publicly admit they enjoy sex.
Given the above, along with how condoms work, it's not unreasonable to expect the man to take on this responsibility, is it?

(I should note that the above mostly refers to teenagers. It wouldn't stop me from buying condoms, but I'm not a teenaged girl and I give zero {!#%@} about what strangers think of me. In any case, I obviously wouldn't be using them to prevent pregnancy, but to protect against STDs.)

Anyway, research into birth control for men kind of fizzled out in the late 20th Century. And if you think about the mechanics of birth control, what makes more sense: unloading the gun or covering everything with Kevlar?? :P Granted, it's a nontrivial problem. Hormonal birth control for women tricks the body into thinking it's already pregnant, and there isn't a parallel for that in men. Tampering with male hormones tends to generate deleterious side effects and, while an inability to achieve an erection might qualify as birth control, it's not really an ideal solution. :mrgreen:

The focus of such research has been, up until recently, on shutting down sperm production, but all trials have resulted in unacceptable (and, in some cases, permanent) side effects. I understand researchers are now focusing on sperm motility and functioning rather than production, although one team has developed a polymer that can be injected into the epididymis to block it (reversible with a second injection), but it's not anywhere near ready for human trials. I mean, they have to ensure it doesn't damage the epididymis, risking future fertility.

TJrandom wrote:Several years ago I learned I have a niece from a younger brother`s school days whom I have never met, and I do have a sister, who due to complications of a botched HS era abortion never had a second pregnancy. If only sex education was given in those days and condoms along with other means of protection were openly available.
I'm sure such relatives are more common than people think. I believe I've said this before, but in my neck of the woods, the terms "sister from another mister" and "brother from another mother" are commonly used to introduce half-siblings. Personally, I didn't rely on whatever the local public schools were teaching; I ensured that my daughter received all pertinent information (and birth control) well before she would need it, especially since my puritanical mother didn't give me The Talk™ until after I'd already been scared to death by my first period.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Yabbut, a guy's pregnancy would have to be ectopic, with all the complications which ensue.
Weird. I've taken biology and anatomy, yet I never learned that men have Fallopian tubes. :mrgreen:

By decree of the Emperor Fallopius.

You play them like tubas.
Image
That's funny; I don't care who you are.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:36 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:...
  • Women have endless birth control options...but they all require a doctor's prescription, and they all mess with normal hormone production...
  • Men have only one option...but it's the only method that can be bought OTC, and the only one that has zero side effects...

Even thought when used alone they are only about 70% to 80% effective, and they don't protect from STDs, but spermicides are freely available OTC.

(However, I'm not discounting various other difficulties teenage girls and boys might encounter.)
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:10 am

Here, the Pill and Day After Pill are available OTC. And for blokes there's always Onan style. But I doubt teenagers have developed the will-power for that to be effective.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:37 am

Reportedly, there's even an effective Pill for guys. But since it has the same/similar side effects as the one for gals, it was scrapped. The guys just couldn't handle it...
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 am

I discourage use of the Pill (or other hormone {!#%@}). I've had four girlfriends who were totally into me and sex decide to start some method of hormonal birth control so we could go at it like rabbits, and as soon as they did, they went off sex and hated the sight of me. I noticed a pattern.

So now if a new girlfriend suggests going on the Pill, I'm like, "No no no no no!"
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 am

Also beware those who are already on it. Once they get off, there could be some noticeable changes.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9298
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby TJrandom » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:23 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:...
  • Women have endless birth control options...but they all require a doctor's prescription, and they all mess with normal hormone production...
  • Men have only one option...but it's the only method that can be bought OTC, and the only one that has zero side effects...

Even thought when used alone they are only about 70% to 80% effective, and they don't protect from STDs, but spermicides are freely available OTC.

(However, I'm not discounting various other difficulties teenage girls and boys might encounter.)


Yes - I too was thinking of spermicides, and an elder sister gave me the talk and a foam. There was nothing from school nor from parents. That talk was sometime after we were going at it like rabbits, sometimes without more than luck and the hunch that she was safely in a zone. Obviously neither of us were safe, but we were lucky.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:30 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Also beware those who are already on it. Once they get off, there could be some noticeable changes.

Sudden swelling of the midsection? :)

Well, the girls I date are mostly over that by now. And if it's a new girl, it's always sheath activated, just against diseases, until we're going steady. Then we use a combination of Moon Phases and Onan Style.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:54 am

One could always get that little snip, eh. ;)
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:07 am

scrmbldggs wrote:One could always get that little snip, eh. ;)

One never knows when one's services might be required to repopulate the planet.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 am

Seriously? :laff:


But think about the freedom you could enjoy. And/or the lasting relationship... ;)
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 am

I'm allowed to have my harem fantasies. :P

But seriously, the chicks my age are mostly over it.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:28 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Reportedly, there's even an effective Pill for guys. But since it has the same/similar side effects as the one for gals, it was scrapped. The guys just couldn't handle it...
They didn't have as much incentive to handle it. Men are risking having to pay child support; women are risking our independence and careers/education (for at least 18 years), and our health*, and our lives. (It's actually safer to have an abortion than to go through gestation and childbirth.)

The male birth control injection, OTOH, had more serious side effects than the male Pill, although it was declared 98.4% effective. The injection was a combination of progestogen (the birth control part) and testosterone (necessary because the progestogen stopped the natural production of the hormone). About half the men developed acne and a fifth of them developed diagnosable mood disorders. Worse, for 5% of them, sperm production did not resume once the injections were stopped.

I mean, it's one thing to say, "This causes headaches in 5% of patients," and quite another to say, "This causes sterility in 5% of patients."

*During pregnancy, I had mild gestational diabetes and lactose intolerance. After 20+ hours of labor, I ended up with an emergency c-section (because she was breech and they couldn't discern where the cord was). A week after delivery, I was back in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism (amniotic fluid escaped into my bloodstream and acted like a snowball being rolled downhill). I was in the hospital for two weeks. A couple weeks after I got home, I developed a double kidney infection with a temperature of 105.4º...and an allergy to penicillins and related antibiotics, as I had an anaphylactic reaction to the treatment. So...back to the hospital for another ten days. Obviously, I decided that one child was my limit. :mrgreen:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Here, the Pill and Day After Pill are available OTC. And for blokes there's always Onan style. But I doubt teenagers have developed the will-power for that to be effective.
I have to say I disagree with offering the Pill OTC—at least in the US—for several reasons:
1. The standard Pill is 30-35 mcg of estrogen, which is less effective for overweight women. The "low estrogen" Pill is 20 mcg of estrogen, which is ineffective for overweight women. Studies showed that women over 175 pounds required 50 mcg of estrogen to provide effective birth control...and that level increases health risks.

2. Women with certain medical conditions (depression, HBP, heart disease, non-hormonal migraine, and certain cancers) shouldn't take the Pill at all.

3. Health insurance doesn't pay for prescription equivalents of OTC medications. If the Pill were available OTC, it would be 100% out-of-pocket. And it's likely that health insurance companies would refuse to pay for ANY type of hormonal birth control, unless the gynecologist was able to successfully argue medical need.

Honestly, most people aren't smart enough to treat themselves with OTC medications. I mean, you shouldn't even take aspirin without consulting your doctor, never mind {!#%@} like decongestants, certain cough syrups, and sleep aids.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21630
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:32 pm

I have a snake-bite kit.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 13093
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby JO 753 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm

76: stunned
77: baffled
( newz hedlinez alwayz state that sientists are stunned or baffled, just to get clicks on wutevr lame story with sum tenuous connection to siens )
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 pm

78: Science
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8885
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Aztexan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:55 pm

79. Meme
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Gord » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:47 am

80. Salad
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 13093
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby JO 753 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 am

81 - 1,000,000, the entire lexicon. Sientists want everybody else to just shut up.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9298
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby TJrandom » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:21 am

JO 753 wrote:81 - 1,000,000, the entire lexicon. Sientists want everybody else to just shut up.


I have never met a sientist...

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Gord » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 am

TJrandom wrote:
JO 753 wrote:81 - 1,000,000, the entire lexicon. Sientists want everybody else to just shut up.

I have never met a sientist...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sien
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 13093
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby JO 753 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Then I can count on lab assistants everywhere to drop the superfluous c! A major step forward for XU NQaLF ReVOLQsUN!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5083
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:I discourage use of the Pill (or other hormone {!#%@}). I've had four girlfriends who were totally into me and sex decide to start some method of hormonal birth control so we could go at it like rabbits, and as soon as they did, they went off sex and hated the sight of me. I noticed a pattern.

Alternate theory: They got to know you better and came to their senses.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:I discourage use of the Pill (or other hormone {!#%@}). I've had four girlfriends who were totally into me and sex decide to start some method of hormonal birth control so we could go at it like rabbits, and as soon as they did, they went off sex and hated the sight of me. I noticed a pattern.

Alternate theory: They got to know you better and came to their senses.

That is a valid hypothesis. ;)
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21630
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 pm

Numberthenext: We can fix it.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Gord » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Numberthenext+1: Ought
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1157
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Cadmusteeth » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 pm

Confusing asocial with antisocial.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21630
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Confusing "I prefer" with "Is a scientific fact"...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:Confusing asocial with antisocial.

And sociopaths with psychopaths.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby Poodle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:49 am

Theory.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9298
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Terms scientists wish people would stop misusing...

Postby TJrandom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:08 am

Expert


Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest