Electric car batteries.

What does make the world turn?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Electric car batteries.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:51 pm

The following claim comes from a BASF advertisement, so you are welcome to take it with a pinch of salt.

According to the advertisement, lithium batteries by the year 2020 will be able to take an electric car 500 kms on one charge, and then recharge during the time it takes to order and drink a cup of coffee. There are 2 million electric cars on the roads today, and they project 20 million by 2020. BASF also say they will reduce the cost of the batteries while increasing safety. They are engaged in increasing the mining of the metals required to ensure no resource shortage.

Now, while some of these claims may not be 100% accurate, they indicate a trend and a change for society. Given time (possibly longer than 2020 ??), we can expect to see polluting petrol and diesel vehicles phased out. A new phase for transport ?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Electric car batteries.

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:21 pm

More and more predictions and "movements" to even "outlaw" internal combustion engines for cars popping up all over the place.

Cars aren't the pollution devices they once were with regard to particulates.....the emPHAsis has changed to CARBON FOOTPRINT aka pollution which is the same and different at the same time.

What this highlights for me is not the move towards green, but rather the need for better storage technology. Like with the dying fossil fuel industry still Predominant today and the near future (next 30 years) we need an "all the above" approach to energy storage/transport/use. I still favor compressed air for lots of reasons mostly its multiple use and zero rare metal consumption...but its not sexy. I do like hydrogen.........because it is sexy. As said: a mix of tech is needed to combat carbon pollution.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Cars and diesel engines still produce serious and health destroying pollution.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Cars and diesel engines still produce serious and health destroying pollution.

Thats what I said. Good catch.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:01 am

The one thing the advertisement did not cover was the final cost. They said they were getting it down, but not how much. This could still be a killer, if the battery packs add too much to the cost of a car. I like the idea of not having to buy fuel, instead recharging from cheap electricity. You can guarantee that there will be commercial operators who will offer to install solar charging facilities, to make the energy as close to free as possible. That would be a very good use of solar power, since the lack of sun at night should not be a major problem, when the energy is already stored in a car battery system.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:17 am

And then airlines

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:41 pm

I don't like the way they explode. It's too sudden. They need more diesel for the proper Michael Bay Effect.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”