We Just Picked Up an Intense Burst of 15 Weird Signals From a Distant Galaxy

What does make the world turn?
Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

We Just Picked Up an Intense Burst of 15 Weird Signals From a Distant Galaxy

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 am

In the early hours of Saturday morning, researchers searching the Universe for signs of alien life detected 15 explosive radio signals in the space of just five hours, all coming from a tiny galaxy 3 billion light-years away.

It's the same galaxy we've received repeated signals from in the past, but the blasts, known as 'fast radio bursts' have never been as frequent as these latest discoveries, causing the team to ask other scientists to tune in and help figure out what the hell's causing them.

http://www.sciencealert.com/we-just-pic ... ant-galaxy

Plus, the Breakthrough Listen team points out that when the pulses left their host galaxy, our Solar System would have been less than 2 billion years old - a billion years before even the simplest multicellular life began to evolve on Earth - so we wouldn't have been the most lucrative target for intelligent life out there.

Interesting concept of perhaps some alien force sending signals so many billion years ago.

KevinLevites
Poster

Re: We Just Picked Up an Intense Burst of 15 Weird Signals From a Distant Galaxy

Postby KevinLevites » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:39 am

I find this intensely interesting and I thank you for pointing it out, but I doubt that it's the signal of an intelligent species.

I would imagine that it's related to the gamma ray bursters that have been in the science news.

I wonder if a distant galaxy gave off a gamma ray burst...if we might not see it as a radio wave burst since a truly distant galaxy might be receeding at close to the speed of light...which would cause a gamma ray burst to turn into a radio wave burst because of the gamma radiation being red shifted.

I haven't worked out the math by plugging figures into the equations (probably from laziness), but I wonder if the original scientists took the red shifted nature of distant galaxies into account--red shifted, of course, from the continued expansion of the Universe.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: We Just Picked Up an Intense Burst of 15 Weird Signals From a Distant Galaxy

Postby gorgeous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:21 am

the greys messing with humans...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 am

Gee Gorgeous, although I don't think you can, please explain your post.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 am

Plus, the Breakthrough Listen team points out that when the pulses left their host galaxy, our Solar System would have been less than 2 billion years old - a billion years before even the simplest multicellular life began to evolve on Earth - so we wouldn't have been the most lucrative target for intelligent life out there.

Wrong.
The continents have since repeatedly collided and been torn apart, so maps of Earth in the distant past are quite different to today's. The history of life on Earth began about 3.8 billion years ago, initially with single-celled prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Wrong.
The continents have since repeatedly collided and been torn apart, so maps of Earth in the distant past are quite different to today's. The history of life on Earth began about 3.8 billion years ago, initially with single-celled prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria.

Except that multicellular life first appeared on Earth less than 2 billion years ago. So, not wrong.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 am

grey aliens messing with humans...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:48 am

gorgeous wrote:grey aliens messing with humans...

ha, ha.....G..... you are messing with humans. Are you grey??????
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am

not that I know of...

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:15 pm

gorgeous wrote:not that I know of...

If you're uncertain, that means you can only be a gray. Are you a member of the Illuminati? Or the Annunaki? I think you are.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 pm

georgie doesn't know what "grey" means...

Simples, the signal is Engineered. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:01 pm

KevinLevites wrote:I find this intensely interesting and I thank you for pointing it out, but I doubt that it's the signal of an intelligent species.

I would imagine that it's related to the gamma ray bursters that have been in the science news.

I wonder if a distant galaxy gave off a gamma ray burst...if we might not see it as a radio wave burst since a truly distant galaxy might be receeding at close to the speed of light...which would cause a gamma ray burst to turn into a radio wave burst because of the gamma radiation being red shifted.

Gamma-ray bursts run to wavelengths of 10-11m or shorter, radio is meter+, so that would require at least 12 orders of magnitude of redshift. At 3 billion ly, you might get a shift from the low end of gamma to the high end of X, but that is about it. (Also too lazy to look up the formulae.)
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”