Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

What does make the world turn?
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:45 am

The one invention that had the biggest impact on average life span was the sewerage system. It basically doubled life span over night.

Don't {!#%@} where you drink. Seems obvious to us now, right? And they still didn't really understand it. They thought it would just take the bad smell away.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:45 pm

There are STILL some whackos who don't believe in germ theory.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 am

I know, right?! You can buy a {!#%@} *toy* microscope and see the little {!#%@}!

I really can't comprehend stupid people. Am I lucky to be born smart, or would it be better to be completely {!#%@} oblivious?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:15 am

Major Malfunction wrote: Am I lucky to be born smart, or would it be better to be completely {!#%@} oblivious?

Yes.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:20 am

Shutup, stoopid. :P
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:21 am

That's not my finger. :nownow:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 am

OK, you've convinced me. I've booked my frontal lobotomy for Tuesday morning. Happy New Year! :yahoo:
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Subaru7
New Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Subaru7 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov.

The unspoken implication is if time travel is possible, it will never be discovered, because ...

Spoiler:
A bunch of do-gooder time travelers keep messing around with history.

The final "edit" prevents time travel from being invented so we can fulfill our destiny -- that being the Foundation universe or something.

I rarely read science fiction anymore; it is almost entirely a commercial "product", and therefore drivel. It well deserves to be called "prole feed" in the sense of Orwell's 1984. Those endless series novels! Each more inane than the previous!

The cream of science fiction is all in the past. Almost no American would be capable of reading the novels of Olaf Stapledon, but it would be hard to find anyone who can surpass him in taking the BIG VIEW!

Arthur C. Clarke has written truly great literature. Apart from his keen intelligence, he is a Himalayan peak of wisdom and compassion. If the human race in general approached the clarity that lies behind all his writings, then it would be worthy of respect.

His great novels are: Childhood's End (it is the one that should have been made into a motion picture!); 2001 (the novel is much better than the movie). I also like The City and the Stars. It is a good yarn at a surface level, but taken as an exploration of fundamental epistemological questions, it is a real hoot! The city, Diaspar, is the Mind, and Lys[!] is the real world (or is it?) " Vanamonde" is the "infant quantum vacuum". The novel would make Kant himself chuckle!

The Éminence Grise of British astrophysics, Sir Fred Hoyle, tossed off a few works of science fiction when he was relaxing. The Black Cloud is a unique blend of hard science, deep questions and whimsy (he also deals with the politicians as they should be treated!)

Hoyle also wrote a short story, A Jury of Five, which is the second-best literary treatment of the collapse of the quantum wave-function.

The best science fiction description of the same subject is a novel by Isaac Asimov, The End of Eternity. It is the prequel to the Foundation series. The entire novel may be read as an extended metaphor of the collapse of a Schrödinger wave function. It is quite subtle but remarkably accessible. But be warned! The literary style is execrable! If you have any literary sensibility, reading it is like listening to fingernails endlessly scratching down a blackboard! But take courage and steel yourself! the ideas which are explored make it well worthwhile!
.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11373
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:10 am

Subaru

Each of the stories you apparently love were fantasies.
A fantasy is based on magic while science fiction is based on science. An example of sci-fi is Larry Niven's "Legacy of Heorot" .

Hoyle's "Black Cloud" was a fantasy since no mechanism permitting the evolution of his main character exists or is likely to exist. Ie. Magic . Time travel is also magic, since no scientific means exists or is likely to exist to permit it. Ditto any book that postulates faster than light travel.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:56 am

Subaru7 wrote:It well deserves to be called "prole feed" in the sense of Orwell's 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y83UkvHpYk
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

KevinLevites
Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby KevinLevites » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:57 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Subaru

Each of the stories you apparently love were fantasies.
A fantasy is based on magic while science fiction is based on science. An example of sci-fi is Larry Niven's "Legacy of Heorot" .

Hoyle's "Black Cloud" was a fantasy since no mechanism permitting the evolution of his main character exists or is likely to exist. Ie. Magic . Time travel is also magic, since no scientific means exists or is likely to exist to permit it. Ditto any book that postulates faster than light travel.


I disagree with you (as a professional science fiction writer--I've had stories in Analog Science Fiction and Fact among other places) about the distiction between fantasy and science fiction.

Good science fiction is about ideas and principles that point to where we might end up, and the mechanisms are window-dressing.

To better explain what I mean, a lot of people are critical of Star Trek because the aliens (vulcans, klingons, etc.) always looked like humans when, obviously, any alien is very (and I mean very) unlikely to look like us...let alone crossbreed with us like Mr. Spock.

People who point these things out miss the point.

When we see a theatrical production of, say, Romeo and Juliet, we can plainly see the the buildings are a plywood facade, the outfits are polyester, and the swords are theatrical props.

We suspend disbelief for the purpose of the performance, and we enjoy Shakespeare's tragic tale of forbidden love just fine. We don't hold the plywood stage facade against his story...and it should be the same in science fiction when we use time travel, unlikely human-like aliens, faster than light star drive, etc..

I used to have a creative writing professor in college who called my work "literary junk food", and I just smiled and nodded when I considered how much money McDonald's makes.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Poodle » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 am

You've obviously never worked in theatre, Kevin. If you can plainly see (rather than intellectually know) the buildings are a plywood facade, then they are intruding into the performance and should be junked. Playing against a neutral nothing background is much more dramatically effective than that. Plywood cutouts and polystyrene boulders are OK for pantomime (which is what the immensely enjoyable Kirk-period Star Trek was) but, aside from such things as that, the art of the set designer has moved on a little.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11373
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Kevin

Certainly people reading scifi I suspend disbelief. They have to. I enjoy doing this myself. But I merely point out that anything that is against the laws of physics is magic, and therefore fantasy.

If something is against the laws of physics, they can never happen. Therefore those are not stories about what might happen.

KevinLevites
Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby KevinLevites » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Kevin

Certainly people reading scifi I suspend disbelief. They have to. I enjoy doing this myself. But I merely point out that anything that is against the laws of physics is magic, and therefore fantasy.

If something is against the laws of physics, they can never happen. Therefore those are not stories about what might happen.

Yes and no.

As an example of what I mean, consider some of the science fiction of Cyrano de Bergiac (and yes, he really existed...nose and all).

In one of his pieces, he has a character travel into outer space by standing on a steel plate and constantly throwing up a magnet (so the force of the magnet would pull up the plate that his astronaut was standing on) which is quite impossible because...among other things...of the law of conservation of angular momentum, which is just as firmly cemented into our understanding of physics as the law of conservation of mass-energy.

In other words, this astronaut may as well have been pulling himself up by his own bootstraps.

Even so, this still qualifies as science fiction because magnetism is an important--even crucial--part of any form of starship propulsion. The Bussard fusion ram jet would use a magnetic field to scoop hydrogen atoms out of interstellar space, and magnetic fields to channel and steer the helium exhaust, for example...so Cyrano was only partly wrong.

The important part of his story (the science fiction part) has to do with the beings his character encounteted in outer space, how they were different, and so on.

In fairness to Cyrano, his other work included rockets for space travel (which works), and the idea of attaching vials of dew to the astronaut's belt so that he would levitate in the morning when the dew disappears.

Again, this dew thing seems implausible, but--as Isaac Asimov pointed out--it has most of the principles of the balloon behind it.

So, what is or isn't science fiction or fantasy depends upon your point of view and how you interpret the story.

So of the best science fiction has no special effects at all (like Salvation, or Humans), while Star Wars--although enjoyable--qualifies as fantasy, in my book.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:36 am

Yup. Larry Niven uses fusion drives, stasis fields, and unobtainium materials galore.

There's nothing wrong with a few plot devices. That's where the fiction comes in. I've read essays by many of the most renowned sci-fi writers, and what they say is only use a few plot devices to set the stage, but don't make the technology the character. What people want to read is stories about people.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28330
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 am

Major Malfunction wrote: What people want to read is stories about people.


Exactly. The broadcast Star Trek episode "Mudd's Women" was really a cowboy western, about frontier brides,, set in outer space.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 am

Pretty much the only diff between sci-and fantasy is magic spaceships and magic dragons. You get your hardcore varieties when the author tries to use the least plot devices possible. But they always have at least one.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11373
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:52 am

Not always. I mentioned "Legacy of Heorot " as true sci-fi. Niven, of course, does not always write sci-fi. Some of his works are unashamed fantasy. In fact, he wrote a time travel series as fantasy. He admitted that time travel was fantasy and included such things as unicorns and dragons, which was honest.

I go a bit further and say that anything impossible is fantasy, and that includes faster than light travel, artificial (non rotational) gravity, tractor beams, force field shields, etc. There is actually plenty left that is possible In theory for a true sci-fi writer to get his teeth into. Sci-fi is the fiction of the possible. Fantasy is the fiction of the impossible.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:28 am

Most of what Niven wrote and is known for is in his "Known Universe". The book you're holding up as hard science fiction has an almost perfectly human habitable planet only 100 years travel away, with a complex ecosystem and giant predatory monsters...

So, you're saying Avatar is hardcore sci-fi.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

KevinLevites
Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby KevinLevites » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:52 pm

I see some black-and-white, either-or thinking here.

The boundary between sci-fi and fantasy is not a sharp line, but rather a fuzzy, grey area.

The boundary is important, but deciding where it is can take all day.

Look at Wells' War of the Worlds, for example. When Wells wrote the book in the 1890s, it was reasonable to believe that Mars was inhabited, so his book is sci-fi.

We sent probes in the 1960s, and discovered that Mars is a dessicated cold planet with corrosive soil and very little atmosphere (at least when compared to Earth), and probably lifeless...although the question of Martian microbes is still open, and scientists are cautiously optimistic.

Does Wells' book now become fantasy instead of sci-fi?

If this transition does, somehow, take place...does this mean that it becomes sci-fi again if I simply add, in the beginning of the book, a part of the story that tells us that the whole novel takes place in a slightly different paraell universe which is similar to ours except that Mars did, indeed, evolve complex life?

The boundary between sci-fi and fantasy is fluid, and one sci-fi genius defined science fiction as whatever it is that sci-fi editors buy...and, as a writer, I guess I have my answer.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:13 pm

I totally agree. Look at Anne McCaffrey's, Dragon Riders of Pern. Seems like a your typical mediaeval fantasy story with magic dragons and {!#%@}, turns out they're actually interstellar colonists and the dragons are genetically engineered. Whoops, spoilers. :)
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

KevinLevites
Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby KevinLevites » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Good point.

The whole "is it fantasy or sci-fi" conflict ultimately, in my mind, seems to have come from snobs and elietists on both sides.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:57 pm

I don't care either way as long as it interests me. Anyway, I thought this argument was done with some time ago when 'speculative fiction' was coined as a cover-all term.
As for time travel - yes, of course it's possible. One-way and a second at a time - even for astronauts, although their seconds may be different.

KevinLevites
Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby KevinLevites » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Time travel? Into the past?

When I was younger, I would have said "impossible".

As I've gotten older, I'm not so sure.

We've discovered (and utilized) quantum entanglement, it seems likely that there are an infinity of paraell universes next door to ours, that ball lightning is possibly caused by microscopically tiny black holes (a leftover from the Big Bang) interracting with our atmosphere during a thunderstorm, and that we can't seem to find the dark matter that, supposedly, makes up 75% of the Universe.

When I'm confronted with such things, it becomes a little easier for me to be open-minded about time travel...which isn't the same thing as me saying that I believe it's possible.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:18 pm

The more plot devices you use, the more it trends to fantasy. But just like politics, it's not just left or right. There's a whole bunch of other dimensions
involved. ;)

As for time, it goes faster in a gravity well. Well, sitting in a gravity well time slows down, so looking out makes it look like the outside is going faster.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Well here's a problem for you, Kevln. You travel back one year in time. You are now in a world which contains two of you and one of you is destined to do it again in a year. In a decade or so, you are a soccer team and some of you will have children. More of you arrive, year by year, on and on, with monotonous inevitability and, eventually, your genes become predominant. In the far future, there will be a whole world full of Kevins and nothing else.
Isn't that a horrible thought?

KevinLevites
Poster
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby KevinLevites » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Given my genes...probably.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9301
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Poodle wrote:Well here's a problem for you, Kevln. You travel back one year in time. You are now in a world which contains two of you and one of you is destined to do it again in a year. In a decade or so, you are a soccer team and some of you will have children. More of you arrive, year by year, on and on, with monotonous inevitability and, eventually, your genes become predominant. In the far future, there will be a whole world full of Kevins and nothing else.
Isn't that a horrible thought?


Just don`t let gorgeous know how it is done... ;)

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11373
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Most of what Niven wrote and is known for is in his "Known Universe". The book you're holding up as hard science fiction has an almost perfectly human habitable planet only 100 years travel away, with a complex ecosystem and giant predatory monsters...

So, you're saying Avatar is hardcore sci-fi.


A human habitable planet 100 years travel away is possible. Unlikely I admit, but still possible. Sci-fi is the fiction of that which is possible, so Legacy of Heorot is sci-fi.

I have seen the Avatar movie and it included stuff that is impossible, so it is fantasy.

Fantasy, of course, is a perfectly valid form of literature, and some is very enjoyable. But it is still not sci-fi.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7840
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby landrew » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:36 pm

We're all time-traveling forward at the rate of 60 seconds per minute.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 am

landrew wrote:We're all time-traveling forward at the rate of 60 seconds per minute.

Our seconds are a bit faster than normal.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Poodle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:43 am

Just when you thought it was safe ...
https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-offic ... reate-them

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 am

Poodle wrote:Well here's a problem for you, Kevln. You travel back one year in time. You are now in a world which contains two of you and one of you is destined to do it again in a year. In a decade or so, you are a soccer team and some of you will have children. More of you arrive, year by year, on and on, with monotonous inevitability and, eventually, your genes become predominant. In the far future, there will be a whole world full of Kevins and nothing else.
Isn't that a horrible thought?

It takes more than two of you to form a soccer team.

In a year, when your past self travels back through time just like your future self did, you'll be down to one again.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:30 am

Poodle wrote:Just when you thought it was safe ...
https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-offic ... reate-them

I've posted this Space Time Journal Club video before, so I'll just put a link to it this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1KxgHH2Ek
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:56 am

And I've said matter is a condensate of space and time, but you {!#%@} just don't get it.

An atom is a lower energy state than space. A molecule is a lower energy state than an atom.

Life is a lower energy state than all that.

We're the laziest conglomeration of space and time there is.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Poodle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 am

Gord wrote:
Poodle wrote:Well here's a problem for you, Kevln. You travel back one year in time. You are now in a world which contains two of you and one of you is destined to do it again in a year. In a decade or so, you are a soccer team and some of you will have children. More of you arrive, year by year, on and on, with monotonous inevitability and, eventually, your genes become predominant. In the far future, there will be a whole world full of Kevins and nothing else.
Isn't that a horrible thought?

It takes more than two of you to form a soccer team.

In a year, when your past self travels back through time just like your future self did, you'll be down to one again.

Damn!!!!!! I knew there'd be a hitch!

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am

We need to make a Hitch ghola.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7840
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby landrew » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:51 pm

There was a young lady quite Bright
Whose speed was much faster than light;
She set out one day,
In a relative way
And returned on the previous night.

- Arthur Henry Reginald Buller, 1923
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31401
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:ghola

Isn't that that weird word that is pronounced "fish"?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 11373
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 pm

I think Herbert took the word ghola from the word golem .


Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest