Tech is Chaos = Smart Tv's go Dumb

What does make the world turn?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Tech is Chaos = Smart Tv's go Dumb

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:13 am

Short Article re an update for Samsung Smart TV's bricking them.

The kicker for me is the last paragraph: "All in all, it's a terrible situation for people. Don't install firmware updates and miss out on security patches. Do install updates, and get a bricked telly. Technology sucks."

Decide for yourself what is important here. My view is:
► Show Spoiler

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/2 ... are_patch/
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: Tech is Chaos = Smart Tv's go Dumb

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:58 am

I guess I'm happy I still have a 'stupid' TV. It actually has an on/off button, and isn't HDMI-compatible. It still works, so I see no need to upgrade it. If I want to watch a movie in HD, I can watch it on my iMac.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:32 am

Dumb TV's are great..... since half the time I am only half listening to it anyway. Right now: Krisanne Hall giving her unique and interesting view of the Constitution on In Depth TV. No reason to look at the tv.... and good info....sadly, and I do wonder to what degree Krisanne (Whho may be of the Lance School of not understanding much of what she says herself) understands that too much of what she says is true but irrelevant. Ie: true at the time of the writing of the Constitution.... but time has moved on. She is a good example of thinking religiously. Smart....but inflexible.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:58 am

That's hilarious...I mostly listen to the TV as well. The majority of what I watch doesn't require me to actually look at the screen: news, Jeopardy, and weather. I 'watch' Bruins hockey, but mostly listen until I hear the announcer's voice start to get excited; that's my cue to turn around and watch for a few seconds. Mostly, I watch movies on my iMac because my chair is comfy.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:43 pm

If god wanted us to see things in hi-def, he wouldn't make all the bigfoot pictures go fuzzy.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:51 pm

If Hitler wanted movies recorded in colour, he wouldn't have had the uniforms designed in greys and blacks.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Short Article re an update for Samsung Smart TV's bricking them.

The kicker for me is the last paragraph: "All in all, it's a terrible situation for people. Don't install firmware updates and miss out on security patches. Do install updates, and get a bricked telly. Technology sucks."

Decide for yourself what is important here. My view is:
► Show Spoiler

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/2 ... are_patch/

The passwords for some sites are on the TVs, so there is a security concern.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:27 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote: The passwords for some sites are on the TVs, so there is a security concern.

That makes sense. Not having used my tv with passwords, my natural inclination would be not to do it preferring to use my computer? ....But I did not want a Facebook Account either but was forced into by my computer or certain programs would not download and so on.

For me, the bigger danger might be a hacked TV being able to swim upstream to my computer and get information there?

With all the hack attacks I read about....I find it strange the internet can function at all. its a mismatch. Can all the hacking stories be true or of that much concern when my commercial transactions via computer take place without issue?? Hmmm.....or like this article, it only affects one tv model in the UK?

I know I'm ignorant.......don't like it ........ have learned to live with it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:49 am

If you access Netflix via your TV, no big deal, probably. Accessing Amazon via a "leaky" TV, on the other hand...

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”