Bill Gates Predictions

What does make the world turn?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Bill Gates Predictions

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 pm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digi ... ate-he-was

Nearly 20 years ago, Bill Gates published 15 specific predictions about the internet. He is clearly a very smart guy, because they all appear to have come true.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: Bill Gates Predictions

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 pm

Predictions? Or plans? ;)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Well, if plans, they were very successful.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:01 am

That is a remarkable list......and mostly stuff that Microsoft did not do/plan?...at least not the market leaders or the hardware?? MS for instance actually has some of the best VR hardware and software right now but they aren't commercializing it. MS/Bill Gates....so big and successful with monopolizing the OS...everything else is given second thrift.

Ha, ha..........just as now some grumbling is continuing about busting up Amazon because it is too big, maybe Gates pulled his horns in........satisfied as he was at being the Worlds Richest Person. Why make it multiples????

I grew up close to Silicon Valley. Dad brought home "computers" from Encyclopedia Britannica....but I never saw the Revolution coming. I got boiled to death real slow. I hate it when that happens.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Well, if plans, they were very successful.

The tone sounded more like he was envisioning what computers would be able to do, once the Internet was fully realized. Being as he was in the industry, it seems natural that his thoughts would expand to multiple ways the technology could be used. Whether you like Gates' products or not (and I don't), you have to admire his abilities.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”