Interactive "Scale of the Universe" Online App

What does make the world turn?
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Interactive "Scale of the Universe" Online App

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:42 pm

This is a fascinating interactive app that begins with items at human scale. From there, you can use the slider to zoom in to the microscopic (quantum foam at less than 0.0000000001 yoctometers) or out to the macroscopic (the observable universe at multiple gigaparsecs). Each measurement includes an artist's rendition of items of that size. Awe-inspiring.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Interactive "Scale of the Universe" Online App

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:15 pm

That is nice to scroll through.

I am always in mind of scale when viewing representations of our solar system. The distances are so large that to put a picture of our solar system IN SCALE on a page in a book.......the planets could not be seen. But the planets are shown LARGE so we can notice other things.

............and how things are represented is how some people think Alaska is an island because it is often shown on maps in its own box next to Hawaii out in the ocean.

How much of what we think is like this?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:12 am

That last is a disturbing thought. Good grief.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:11 am

LunaNik wrote:This is a fascinating interactive app that begins with items at human scale.

"This device does not support Adobe Flash, which the Scale of the Universe 2 requires."

:befuddled: Uh, okay? I guess.

Luckily, there's a link to a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaGEjrADGPA
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Gord wrote:
LunaNik wrote:This is a fascinating interactive app that begins with items at human scale.

"This device does not support Adobe Flash, which the Scale of the Universe 2 requires."

:befuddled: Uh, okay? I guess.

Luckily, there's a link to a youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaGEjrADGPA

iPhone? I disagreed with Apple's decision on that, only in that it was premature. Thank you for finding and sharing the video!

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Scale is a very important concept. People forget that nothing related to size has any meaning except in relation to other things. My own view is that we are humans, and scale has its greatest meaning related to us as humans.

One of the silliest things we are exposed to with respect to scale is the idea that our planet is small. I suspect that this idiocy arose with that classic photo taken by Apollo astronauts of the Earth rising behind the moon. All the blithering morons said "Oh, doesn't it look tiny, out there on its own." And we now get inundated with the message the our planet is small and vulnerable. Utterly misleading.

If we treat the size of the Earth on our own normal scale, it looks very different. Imagine a reasonably big man, who weighs 100 kilograms. ( We could choose any size person, but I like round numbers.) That is the normal human base for our perception of scale. The Earth weighs 60,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 big men. Hardly small!

It is very easy to get screwed around by people arguing a twisted form of scale. Everything is humungous compared to something much smaller, and everything is tiny compared to something much bigger. My view is that we should try to keep ourselves centered to a human scale.

But it is still fun to see these artistic impressions of the range of scales that exist within the universe.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:17 am

My desktop computer supports Adobe Flash.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Gord wrote:My desktop computer supports Adobe Flash.

Your desktop computer is allowing itself to be a doormat. It should stand up for itself and make that lazy freeloader support itself.

My 10,000 post. I am proud of its perspicacity and relevance.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 am

I think you spelled "revelance" wrong.
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Gord wrote:I think you spelled "revelance" wrong.

Your perspicacity is awe inspiring. I would doff my hat to you, but I'm not wearing one.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”