New video camera captures 5 trillion frames/second

What does make the world turn?
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

New video camera captures 5 trillion frames/second

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 pm

A new video camera, the fastest by far, has set a staggering speed record. It films 5 trillion frames (equivalent to 5 trillion still images) every second, blowing away the 100,000 frames per second of high-speed commercial cameras. The device could offer a peek at never-before-seen phenomena, such as the blazingly fast chemical reactions that drive explosions or combustion.

Researchers at Lund University in Sweden demonstrated the camera’s speediness by filming particles of light traveling a distance as thin as a sheet of paper, then slowing down the trillionth-of-a-second journey to watch it.
https://youtu.be/2fjP02EpJac
Read the article here.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: New video camera captures 5 trillion frames/second

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:29 am

Wait, what? How can you film a particle of light travelling across something? "Filming" something requires some sort of particle hitting the "film" and leaving an effect there. To put it in layman's terms: "What is shining off the particle of light to illuminate it?"

Note: I'm saying "filmed" as a simplified term to express the recording of an image, not to declare that any actual "film" was used in any way.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:47 am

Gord wrote:Wait, what? How can you film a particle of light travelling across something? "Filming" something requires some sort of particle hitting the "film" and leaving an effect there. To put it in layman's terms: "What is shining off the particle of light to illuminate it?"

Note: I'm saying "filmed" as a simplified term to express the recording of an image, not to declare that any actual "film" was used in any way.

I think they were using the word "filmed" simply because there's no word for "repeatedly flashing a laser at a subject, with each flash getting a unique code. The subject reflects the flashes, and those reflections are combined into a single image. Then, an algorithm separates the image into a video sequence based on the codes."
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:14 am

I had the same question. Assumed it was a misnomer. Too many science explanations are like that, but its difficult, tedious, and probably just as bad getting all technical.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:27 am

That still doesn't explain how they can film a particle of light. If you hit a particle of light with another particle of light (like with a laser), they''ll interact. You can't get one bouncing back to the camera while the other one continues on its original path as if nothing happened.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:56 am

From Wikipedia ...

From quantum electrodynamics it can be found that photons cannot couple directly to each other, since they carry no charge, but they can interact through higher-order processes: a photon can, within the bounds of the uncertainty principle, fluctuate into a virtual charged fermion–antifermion pair, to either of which the other photon can couple. This fermion pair can be leptons or quarks. Thus, two-photon physics experiments can be used as ways to study the photon structure, or, somewhat metaphorically, what is "inside" the photon.
We distinguish three interaction processes:
Direct or pointlike: The photon couples directly to a quark inside the target photon.[5] If a lepton–antilepton pair is created, this process involves only quantum electrodynamics (QED), but if a quark–antiquark pair is created, it involves both QED and perturbative quantum chromodynamics (QCD).[6][7] The intrinsic quark content of the photon is described by the photon structure function, experimentally analyzed in deep-inelastic electron–photon scattering.[8][9]
Single resolved: The quark pair of the target photon form a vector meson. The probing photon couples to a constituent of this meson.
Double resolved: Both target and probe photon have formed a vector meson. This results in an interaction between two hadrons.
For the latter two cases, the scale of the interaction is such as the strong coupling constant is large. This is called Vector Meson Dominance (VMD) and has to be modelled in non-perturbative QCD.

I wish I hadn't looked.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 am

Poodle wrote:From Wikipedia ...

/snipped for brevity/

I wish I hadn't looked.

:shockd: This explains why the article didn't include the technical details, but just said "filmed."

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”