Plastics in the sea.

What does make the world turn?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Plastics in the sea.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Reference : New Scientist, 3 June 2017, page10

It turns out, surprise, surprise, that there is a lot less plastic in the ocean than there should be. What happened to the extra?

Possibility one . There are bacteria in the ocean which are breaking it down. Since other organisms have been discovered on land that break down plastics, this is not far fetched. The main objection to this idea is that the effective bacteria have not yet been isolated. Mind you, the vast majority of bacteria on Earth have never been isolated.

Possibility two. Entrusting organisms attached themselves to bits of floating plastic and make them heavier, so they sink to the bottom of the sea. This leads me to some possibly silly speculation. Imagine a few million tons of plastic on the sea bed being covered by sediment, and buried for a few million years. Will this create a new stratum of a new kind of rock? Plastirock.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Plastics in the sea.

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Probably not if it will be eaten under pressure. :-P

OT As a sign of the times, I read "Politics in the sea." :roll:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Scrambled brain syndrome.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 pm

I knew I would go down with history. :nuts:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:04 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I knew I would go down with history. :nuts:

Why, is it sinking?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:15 am

Quite concretely. :this:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Plastirock.

I'm pretty sure that's what I hear when I try to listen to the radio nowadays. :nea:

What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:45 am

The news I just heard was that plastics was a continuing and worsening crisis. "By 2050 the amount of plastic in the ocean will exceed the amount of fish...by weight.".... and still that "plastic never goes away" and some scientists are worried at what will happen when plastic degrades to molecular size and starts getting incorporated into living flesh and so forth. It makes sense some kind of microbe would consume it....but also that that would not be "a cure."

Course the same news source (I forget what it was) was concerned about continuing acidification and how it was weakening the internal structure of ..... some class of invertebrates that basically support the entire food chain.

So.... obviously these so called scientists are really just anti-capitalist free market pigs.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:08 pm

. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Here it is

Looks like a normal beach to me. After the weekend party, I mean.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Here it is

Looks like a normal beach to me. After the weekend party, I mean.

Pretty much. I wonder why the Scientists are having so much trouble finding it.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 pm

Plastic is good. Fish is useless. Can you make all all of those wonderful food containers and lego out of the fish? :roll:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 pm

No doubt, Dustin Hoffman is to blame. If only he hadn`t listened, we wouldn`t be in this predicament.

Plastic fibres found in tap water around the world, study reveals

Microplastic contamination has been found in tap water in countries around the world, leading to calls from scientists for urgent research on the implications for health.

Scores of tap water samples from more than a dozen nations were analysed by scientists for an investigation by Orb Media, who shared the findings with the Guardian. Overall, 83% of the samples were contaminated with plastic fibres.

The US had the highest contamination rate, at 94%, with plastic fibres found in tap water sampled at sites including Congress buildings, the US Environmental Protection Agency’s headquarters, and Trump Tower in New York. Lebanon and India had the next highest rates.

European nations including the UK, Germany and France had the lowest contamination rate, but this was still 72%. The average number of fibres found in each 500ml sample ranged from 4.8 in the US to 1.9 in Europe.

The new analyses indicate the ubiquitous extent of microplastic contamination in the global environment. Previous work has been largely focused on plastic pollution in the oceans, which suggests people are eating microplastics via contaminated seafood.

“We have enough data from looking at wildlife, and the impacts that it’s having on wildlife, to be concerned,” said Dr Sherri Mason, a microplastic expert at the State University of New York in Fredonia, who supervised the analyses for Orb. “If it’s impacting [wildlife], then how do we think that it’s not going to somehow impact us?”

No mention of Japan, so I`m clear…

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 pm

What bothered me about that article was the statement that the plastic identified was as large as some observable "seed." My thought is that if that much plastic of that size, a size that should be easily filtered out.... then how much plastic are we consuming that is so much smaller to be on the molecular level and "taken up" by our biology?

Lots of plastics have effects that mimic (does that mean they are?) hormones.

I don't see how this can be good for us.

Of note IIRC.... the plastic at issue comes mostly from car tires and what was the second?....carpeting or clothing? As opposed to decomposing plastic food containers or bottles.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:55 am

Bobbo

It has been suggested that biggest source is plastic fibers via laundry. When synthetic cloth is whirred in a washing machine, bits of plastic break off and get discharged down the laundry water out pipe.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:26 am

That's why I always hand-wash my nylons.
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:42 am

So...I should pour the filtered water from my Brita pitcher through a second, better filter? Yeesh. (I even use filtered water in my coffee maker, for ice cubes, and in my pups' water bowl.)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 am

I filter all my drinking water through my lips. That removes most of the larger pieces of plastic, which is my goal.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:56 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:So...I should pour the filtered water from my Brita pitcher through a second, better filter? Yeesh. (I even use filtered water in my coffee maker, for ice cubes, and in my pups' water bowl.)

You filter your water thru your pup? What a great method. :lol:

We have an inline filter for chemicals and biologicals and use that water for our coffee, ice cubes, etc. - so the unfiltered water is just used for washing. Our filter cartridge gets an annual replacement, and the system beeps incessantly if this isn`t done. That cartridge is about $200 each, so quite expensive. Unfortunately, we don`t have a pet to help cut down on that cost. ;)

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:02 am

TJrandom wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:So...I should pour the filtered water from my Brita pitcher through a second, better filter? Yeesh. (I even use filtered water in my coffee maker, for ice cubes, and in my pups' water bowl.)

It adds a certain je ne sais quoi. :mrgreen: The hardest part is catching it out the other end. :P

TJrandom wrote:We have an inline filter for chemicals and biologicals and use that water for our coffee, ice cubes, etc. - so the unfiltered water is just used for washing. Our filter cartridge gets an annual replacement, and the system beeps incessantly if this isn`t done. That cartridge is about $200 each, so quite expensive. Unfortunately, we don`t have a pet to help cut down on that cost. ;)
I plan to install an inline filter during my kitchen remodel which, hopefully, will begin this winter. The pups will not be part of the new system. ;)

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:09 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

It adds a certain je ne sais quoi. :mrgreen: The hardest part is catching it out the other end. :P

That reminds me of this very expensive coffee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:18 am

Whiskey has been distilled and does not need filtering.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:54 am

:hmm: Great! I'll fill in my liver.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 am

scrmbldggs wrote::hmm: Great! I'll fill in my liver.

I'll get the backhoe.
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:48 pm

xouper wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

That reminds me of this very expensive coffee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
While I absolutely adore and worship coffee—without, I might add, being one of those annoying hipster purists—I'll pass on this variety. Yuck. It's taken me years to find the perfect blend of beans and roasts for my home coffee, so I'll stick with that. Equal parts Colombian (French roast), Moka Java (dark roast), and Sumatran (double dark roast). It's rich and strong without being either bitter or acidic.

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”