KoRZ, OLD & NYQ

What does make the world turn?
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: KoRZ, OLD & NYQ

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:01 am

Flash wrote:... And BTW I am wondering why isn't Takata management in jail yet? The people they killed and the misery they caused for both consumers and the car companies...The latest news I have (which might not be accurate) is that this criminal company is still making those explosive bags and Toyota, for example, is still selling cars equipped with the faulty bags.

I bought a KIA and thank god KIA is one of the few companies that hasn't been using Takata bags.

I agree - and lets not stop there - but also go after the gun manufacturers, alcohol distillers, sugar producers, ....

(BTW - my old Takata air bags were replaced with new Takata airbags - go figure!)

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:12 am

My automotive pet-peeve is ABS – the automated braking systems, which are designed to prevent skidding. They release upon detection of a skid, allowing the vehicle to `surge` forward, and in doing so again skid, release, surge, skid, release, surge, skid, release…

If you have an automatic with the idle set such that the vehicle will `hold on a hill`, there will be enough idle power (foot off of the accelerator) to cause this scenario. To do it right – the ABS also needs to cut fuel to the engine or disengage the transmission.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Wut youre tokking about soundz more like traction control.

Kinda bogus that they will apply the brakes to different weelz in a turn to redistribute the tork. Effectiv, but innefficient. This iz another big advantaj electric carz can hav if they hav a seperate motor for each weel.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 pm

JO 753 wrote:Wut youre tokking about soundz more like traction control.

Kinda bogus that they will apply the brakes to different weelz in a turn to redistribute the tork. Effectiv, but innefficient. This iz another big advantaj electric carz can hav if they hav a seperate motor for each weel.

Nope - it is actually ABS. I have had my scenario with two vehicles - a Toyota and a Nissan. One in snow, one in rain, and both potentially dangerous. The one in snow `cycled` as I described it about 10 times, with the vehicle actually gaining speed with each cycle. It only ended when I cut the engine by putting it in neutral - eliminating the `surge`.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:05 pm

Wierd.

The best antilok brakes I experiensed wer on my frend'z 88 Supra Turbo. It didnt hav the thumping like in other carz I'v been in with ABS. He liked to show off the acceleration & deseleration.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:47 am

Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:41 am

Toyota has just recalled over a million vehicles with bad bags but it says these are not Takata bags. Some other {!#%@} company has apparently made these but Toyota doesn't want to reveal which. Why all the secrecy? Really? We should start putting these corporate guys in jail, {!#%@} lying clowns.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:56 am

Flash wrote:Toyota has just recalled over a million vehicles with bad bags but it says these are not Takata bags. Some other {!#%@} company has apparently made these but Toyota doesn't want to reveal which. Why all the secrecy? Really? We should start putting these corporate guys in jail, {!#%@} lying clowns.

Yup - jail them all, starting with those who are working to improve safety. Why not go back and jail all of those who designed and installed seat belts, safety glass, non-exploding tires, collapsible steering wheels, crumple zones, even wipers.... hell, even horns. Give me a horse any day! :roll:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:37 am

Jail time for everybody involved with sumthing that didnt work perfectly 100% uv the time!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 am

Hehe, just noticed this is the perfect thread for the "Topic tools" menu symbol. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:36 am

TJrandom wrote:
Yup - jail them all, starting with those who are working to improve safety. Why not go back and jail all of those who designed and installed seat belts, safety glass, non-exploding tires, collapsible steering wheels, crumple zones, even wipers.... hell, even horns. Give me a horse any day! :roll:

Oh I am sorry guys I didn't realize that the executives in the car making business were such angels...helping people, improving safety, making sure that nothing goes wrong in their cars and if, by some remote chance, it does immediately telling all of us about it. Just like Takata, doing a great humanitarian work, saving people's lives with those bags. They had no idea, none whatsoever that the bags will start killing people because of {!#%@} deteriorating explosive used. They just found out that the millions of those bags can explode like grenades practically yesterday.

Toyota used to deny that their cars had the acceleration problem even when the brake was applied. it killed a few people in North America but the executives didn't know about it until...well until they got sued... Us responsible? No not us, we are helping people.

Remember the Ford Explorer that used to overturn at high speed when it got a flat tire? The executives, didn't know about it at all until the hearing in the Congress and the suits.

Ralph Nader wrote Unsafe at Any Speed because Ford especially was making cars that were killing people. Did the {!#%@} executives knew about the exploding Pinto Ford for example? Absolutely not. They thought they had the best car in the world made for the people they loved dearly.

There are more examples, of course, recently the GM killed quite a few people with those ignition switches they haven't fixed for years because...Well, because they didn't know about them. Again, the GM executives thought they had the best switch anywhere on the planet... until they got caught.

And the Volkswagen executives had no idea their cars had the cheating software designed to hide the real fuel consumption and exhausts. The intentions were good but somebody somewhere installed this cheating software. It must've been the Russians, perhaps Putin himself did it, who else?

You kill someone accidentally, you are charged with manslaughter. They kill people by ignoring a defective product they have made for years somebody in government will wag a finger at them and they get a bonus.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:21 am

I agree that the car companyz hav dun many bad thingz. GM especially, with the leded gas conspirasy.

You coud rite seriez uv books about the BIG nasty scandalz the car companyz are gilty uv.

But you are neglecting to factor in the number uv peepl who hav been saved by the Takata airbagz. Even tho its the biggest recall ever, the number uv fatalityz & injuriez iz microscopic compared to bunchez uv other stuff.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 am

Flash wrote:TJrandom wrote:

Oh I am sorry guys I didn't realize that the executives in the car making business were such angels...helping people, improving safety, making sure that nothing goes wrong in their cars ...

Well now you know. Great! :lol:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:20 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Hehe, just noticed this is the perfect thread for the "Topic tools" menu symbol. :-P

hEY! I think we'v just been insulted!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:49 pm

Really? I don't understand the insult but if so then eggs is playing with fire. :redhot: :fire:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:11 am

Hi, Io the lurker.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:52 am

She called us toolz!

Did you call us toolz, scrmbld? I dont no. Cant keep up with the slang anymore.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:07 am

You've gotta think outside that box, JO. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:25 am

Neat!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:06 am

If he had called us "stools" that would be a real insult. We would have to hire a hit man...But where, youtube, kijiji, Amazon? Where do these people hang out? Or I would have to call my uncle in America. Once, long time ago he got drunk and told me he used to kill for the CIA. I don't know what he used to kill. Maybe he was a dog catcher in Langley. Worth trying though, so I say adios eggs, eh? :budo:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:50 am

Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:02 am

Yes, but will it tow a boat?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:28 pm

No. It haz a chassis rack insted. You strap the boat underneath.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:20 am

Family cars I have either ridden in when young, or owned myself… Model T, Hudson, Packard, Nash, Rambler, Studebaker, Plymouth, Dodge, Corvette, Ford Pinto, Toyota, and Nissan. And of course with a few repeats in there. Nothing exotic, just beater transporters. If only some of the earlier ones were still in the barn. Sadly from what I remember they mostly rusted away in the open before being hauled off for scrap.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Quite a variety. Wuts your current ride?

I've been a Chrysler nut sinse befor I wuz born. My dad got a Ford in 1957 wen he emigrated from England with my mom & sister. He had sum trouble with it and traded it in for a Chrysler. He found the quality to be superior. That and hiz work az a tool & die maker in the biz hiz employerz did with the Big 3 convinsed him that GM & Ford were junk. He had storyz about Ford and GM having crummy prints and loose toleransez and aksepting out uv tolerans parts, whereaz Chrysler always sent enjineerz to help dezine the tooling and often rejected parts.

I briefly owned a 76 Volkswagen Dasher. Us kidz had been dazzled by Volkswagenz commercialz so nagged dad into buying wun wen hiz 72 New Yorker wuz stolen. 3 weeks after, the cops recovered the NY. This wuz about wen I got my driverz lisens. Wen he wuz in England viziting relativez, I dented the VW. Over the fone he sez "You break, you buy." so it wuz my 1st car.

That, an 85 Mitsubishi Gallant and a 90 Buick Riviera were the only non Chryslerz I owned.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:21 pm

What make was the Jeeperz Kreeperz fun?
Hi, Io the lurker.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:49 pm

It wuz Dodge, both the orijinal truck and the doner car for the enjin & tranz.

The good old daze!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWKSqzI8Q3s
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:09 pm

:-P

I remembered the cutie and looked at the vids. The first one I watched was your edition of "dad's arrival". :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:17 pm

I usually dont spend much time on appearens. Not sure why - I hav the ability to make stuff look nise, but not much interest. The time & money are part uv it I suppoze. I prefer to invest in making stuff work well. Then therez the Road Warrior / Derelict style that I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQVpSFoROg4
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:25 pm

We currently have Nissans - a `Vanette` (750kg load truck), and a Juke.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:37 pm

Ur lucky, I currently drive a Joke. :-P

Normally I'm with the "work well" filosofie but also kinda like this type
That image is one of several featuring the whole article from this page.
Hi, Io the lurker.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:17 pm

That must be frum the 80z. ' the most potent machine ever to mount a lisens plate, at 300 hp'. :lol:
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:52 am

The latest episode uv Roadkill iz pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVs_xZ46Cxw
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:03 am

Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Got my dijital speedometer set up today. Its actually a frequensy counter that haz a scale option. You can set it to show 10 for 40 pulsez for example.

I got 2 on Ebay for only 9$ each. The 1st wun I am uzing az a tak strate off the distributor hall effect output. For the speedo, I added 2 magnets to the speedometer cable driveshaft and a hall effect sensor to the hub it spinz in.

Then I drove around with my Garmin to get the actual speed and programmed it to divide the pulsez by 35.

Next thing will be to chanje the LEDz from red to smaller green in the tak and bigger blue in the speedo and install them inside the dash insted uv just on it. I'll get 2 more first kuz its likely I'll ruin them.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:36 am

Those mags are gonna slow down your ride! :heh:
Hi, Io the lurker.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:00 am

I put a windmill on the roof to compensate!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:49 am

In the past - when the speedo cable broke, we used small screws in the outside treads of a tire and listened to the clack. To train the ear, you just picked out another car that didn`t seem to be speeding and matched it. High end speeds didn`t matter since a clunker wouldn`t go that fast anyway. But in a downtown area with cops, even a smidgen over was dangerous. Much cheaper than a new cable or a ticket...

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 am

Where did you liv?

I wuz in Chicago in my 20z. The cops had better thingz to do than hassle driverz over minor traffic infractionz. You had to go at least 11 mph over befor theyd pay any attention, and wen they did, you coud usually talk your way out uv a ticket.

The suburban cops were a different story tho. You still had to be going more than 11 over kuz that wuz the lowest check box on the ticket, but many uv the townz conducted a thriving moving violation enterprize to suppliment their revenue. Summit and sum other burbz went so far az to rig the speed limit sinez to trick driverz into speeding. They got me with an unusually small 25 sine plased way up a lite pole on a street that woud normally be 45. At the time I wuz a driver for Deadline Express. I woud probably hav been doing 70 on that street, but the cop wuz sitting in plain view, so I took it easy, only going between 45 & 50.

Another nasty trick wuz to put lots uv stop sinez up on nearly abandoned streets to irritate driverz into rolling thru.

I vaguely recall sumthing about a federal case agenst wun uv the munisipal courts and police departments. They probably made the mistake uv pulling over a congressman or powerhouse lawyer or sumthing.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:14 pm

If I recall correctly, the speed limit was 20 in the downtown areas - and you wouldn`t want to risk going over 21. They didn`t have tools in those days, so the cops words were taken as fact. This was in small-town Missouri in the 50s/60s, and still occurs in some towns in the mid-South of the state. Camdenton and others in that area?

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”