Earth is the planet of the apes.

What does make the world turn?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Earth is the planet of the apes.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Reference : New Scientist, 12 March 2016, page 40.

The world today has relatively few ape species. Only six, and most of them (with one very obvious exception!) in small numbers.

But if you look back in time to between 20 and 7 million years ago, there were as many as 100 species, They were widespread, with many roaming across Europe. The current Ice Age is probably partly responsible for the drop in numbers of ape species. But it also occurs to me that the rise of smarter apes, precursors to humanity, may have been a strong factor in wiping so many out. As our ancestors got better at hunting, were the other apes our prey?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Earth is the planet of the apes.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:40 pm

If you look at the current "tree" for species Homo you see several species that came and went in the last 7 million years or so. Homo naledi is just the latest of these.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:44 pm

It's certainly very possible, Lance, and probable for some groups in some areas.

However, it think it equally probable that we simply outperformed other species. Our ancestors brains gave them distinct advantages, enabling them to move into direct and successful competition with other species for resources. More success means more chance of offspring surviving; the ensuing larger groups increase the advantage and hasten the demise of competing species.

But yes - at a certain stage in our development, it would have been silly not to prey upon what was living next door. On the other hand, given the choice between an ape and a buffalo, the buffalo is preferable - there's more of it.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:43 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:If you look at the current "tree" for species Homo you see several species that came and went in the last 7 million years or so. Homo naledi is just the latest of these.

Actually, there appears to be yet another late hominid being identified in Spain, that is neither Neanderthal or modern human.
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150122 ... s-of-human

It's a weird thing about self perception. I think to myself : "Why are us humans the only ones here when there should be lots of other branches?" and when I look around there actually are lots of recent existing human branches floating around. Homo floresiensis died out 12,000 year ago. This new lot died out 40,000 year ago. Erectus only died out 150,000 years ago.

It actually all makes sense.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:31 am

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”