Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

What does make the world turn?
User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 am

Oh, you hadn't heard of Bill O'Reilly's ignorance on tides?

Try this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20290&p=506379
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 am

What do you even do with people that willfully stupid? I mean, it's taking far too long for their own stupidity to kill them, FFS. Can we convince them that lightning is the Rapture so they'll stand outside during thunderstorms holding metal rods? Yeah, I know...I'm mean. But people like O'Really are @#$%ing in charge of my @#$%ing country, and the man is so bloody stupid, he makes me doubt evolution.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:41 am

LunaNik wrote:Can we convince them that lightning is the Rapture so they'll stand outside during thunderstorms holding metal rods?

I have tried that but they wouldn't believe me, even when I poked two holes in my palms and declared myself Jesus.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4125
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:17 am

John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA): "We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures.. .. If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in."
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26362
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:50 am

gorgeous wrote:John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA): "We are, by astronomical standards....."
Big bummer for you then, that he didn't claim the moon was hollow. :lol:

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:58 am

gorgeous wrote:John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA): "We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures.. .. If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in."

Complete bull-shit.

"Pampered, cosseted, and cherished?" Take a look around. This is hardly an ideal planet.
1. We can't live on three-quarters of the planet, because it's covered with water.
2. Most of that water is contaminated with salt, so it's not even potable.
3. Of the land area, much of it is too cold, too hot, too dry, or too wet for human life.
4. Our sun will kill us if we don't protect ourselves.
5. We can't survive without artificial help: shelter, clothing, etc.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8111
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:15 am

I'd like to convey my thanks (and, I'm sure, the thanks from many others) to Gorgeous for her long-lived efforts in keeping forum members amused. Sometimes, she has me in stitches. Is there no internet award suitable for such a marathon effort?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19634
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:23 am

Stundie comes to mind, but I don't think it's awarded daily or as many times as it might apply in this case.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 am

Poodle wrote:...to Gorgeous for her long-lived efforts....

its
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8111
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:45 am

She claims to be a woman. I know she normally lies through her teeth but I see no advantage in that one. Maybe she's a program?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Poodle wrote:She claims to be a woman. I know she normally lies through her teeth but I see no advantage in that one. Maybe she's a program?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19365&p=582865#p582851
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4125
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:37 pm

cretins....the earth is not only for humans , but for all life. need the oceans and deserts for balance of life ...and seasons......without the positions of the sun and moon we couldn't exist...no accident...it is a school as the greys have said....some of you are very slow learners....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:21 pm

gorgeous wrote:cretins....the earth is not only for humans , but for all life. need the oceans and deserts for balance of life ...and seasons......without the positions of the sun and moon we couldn't exist...no accident...it is a school as the greys have said....some of you are very slow learners....

Told you you lacked manners. BOOM.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4125
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:49 pm

just the truth ...have 4 attacking me...like your bs manners...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8111
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Nah - there's loads more than 4 members here, gorgeous.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:25 pm

Hell, I'm 4 members all by myself.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:02 am

gorgeous wrote:just the truth ...have 4 attacking me...like your bs manners...

You considered my attack on your argument a personal attack; it wasn't. But if the gloves are off now...
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26362
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:27 am

Poodle wrote:She claims to be a woman. I know she normally lies through her teeth but I see no advantage in that one. Maybe she's a program?


No. He's a bloke. There is a fascinating post by Gorgeous discussing her female anatomy that confirmed what I already knew. I'll find that post if asked.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:44 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Poodle wrote:She claims to be a woman. I know she normally lies through her teeth but I see no advantage in that one. Maybe she's a program?


No. He's a bloke. There is a fascinating post by Gorgeous discussing her female anatomy that confirmed what I already knew. I'll find that post if asked.

Since I'm female, I'd love to read it. Might be worth a few laughs.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4125
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby gorgeous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 pm

fox----Massive cave discovered underneath lunar surface
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8111
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Poodle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 pm

... and ...?

OR

... so ...?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26362
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:36 am

gorgeous wrote:fox----Massive cave discovered underneath lunar surface

Let's try the real facts.

There are lava tubes below the lunar surface could be large enough for human activities. The lava tubes have been known about since 2012 and NASA first proposed that these tubes be used to store things or be sealed off to make airtight habitation areas.

https://www.space.com/32795-moon-lava-t ... nauts.html

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19456
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:39 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Since I'm female, I'd love to read it. Might be worth a few laughs.

You're female? Wow, so is my mother. Small world.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4971
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Monster » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:53 am

gorgeous wrote:fox----Massive cave discovered underneath lunar surface

Zoinks!

Did the Illuminati make it?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19456
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:06 am

Monster wrote:
gorgeous wrote:fox----Massive cave discovered underneath lunar surface

Zoinks!

Did the Illuminati make it?

It was an early form of the lava lamp, called a "lava tube". Gorgonzola will be saying aliens built it, of course.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29090
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby Gord » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
gorgeous wrote:fox----Massive cave discovered underneath lunar surface

Let's try the real facts.

There are lava tubes below the lunar surface could be large enough for human activities. The lava tubes have been known about since 2012 and NASA first proposed that these tubes be used to store things or be sealed off to make airtight habitation areas.

https://www.space.com/32795-moon-lava-t ... nauts.html

Only since 2012? I thought they were known about a helluva long time before that. I remember discussing them when I was in high school!

Meh. Maybe we were just spit-balling ideas back then. It really doesn't feel that way, though, I'm sure we were discussing something from a scientific article at the time. Or, hmm, maybe it was just Omni magazine.

No, apparently my memory isn't as bad as I thought. Here is an article from 1971 that was discussing the possibility of lava tubes on the Moon: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/172/3984/722 And it's from Science magazine, so you know it's top-notch quality stuff! ;)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Magpie [crawler] and 1 guest