Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

What does make the world turn?
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Re: Are the Earth moon and Mars moon Phobos hollow and fake?

Postby gorgeous » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 pm

aren't they girls?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:27 pm

gorgeous wrote:aren't they girls?

I suppose I could be, if it were not for my anatomy and my gender identity.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:36 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:

Since roughly half of the population are girls, then you personally have a 50 percent chance of being a girl.

:P

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:01 pm

xouper wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Since roughly half of the population are girls, then you personally have a 50 percent chance of being a girl.

If I claimed to be Schrodinger's girl, people would get the wrong idea. :nyaah:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:03 pm

As far as I'm concerned, gorgeous insults everyone on this forum every time she posts her twaddle (in my opinion, of course).

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:04 pm

is this twaddle?----------Radio science result from 2008 Phobos Flyby now accepted for publication:

"We report independent results from two subgroups of the Mars Express Radio Science (MaRS) team who independently analyzed Mars Express (MEX) radio tracking data for the purpose of determining consistently the gravitational attraction of the moon Phobos on the MEX spacecraft, and hence the mass of Phobos.

We conclude that the interior of Phobos likely contains large voids. When applied to various hypotheses bearing on the origin of Phobos, these results are inconsistent with the proposition that Phobos is a captured asteroid.

For a Martian moon that is demonstrably "1/3 hollow," as measured by two totally independent space programs, and separated by ~20 years... under any likely astrophysical formation scenario cannot exist as just a "natural" moon.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:30 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
xouper wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

If I claimed to be Schrodinger's girl, people would get the wrong idea. :nyaah:

You win. :award: That was way better than mine, on more than one level.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:48 pm

gorgeous wrote:is this twaddle?----------Radio science result from 2008 Phobos Flyby now accepted for publication:

"We report independent results from two subgroups of the Mars Express Radio Science (MaRS) team who independently analyzed Mars Express (MEX) radio tracking data for the purpose of determining consistently the gravitational attraction of the moon Phobos on the MEX spacecraft, and hence the mass of Phobos.

We conclude that the interior of Phobos likely contains large voids. When applied to various hypotheses bearing on the origin of Phobos, these results are inconsistent with the proposition that Phobos is a captured asteroid.

For a Martian moon that is demonstrably "1/3 hollow," as measured by two totally independent space programs, and separated by ~20 years... under any likely astrophysical formation scenario cannot exist as just a "natural" moon.

Yes, it's twaddle - the kind of stuff put about by people who either cannot read, or are completely ignorant of even basic physics, or have an agenda all their own.

Try this ...

The density of Phobos has now been directly measured by spacecraft to be 1.887 g/cm3. Current observations are consistent with Phobos being a rubble pile. In addition, images obtained by the Viking probes in the 1970s clearly showed a natural object, not an artificial one. Nevertheless, mapping by the Mars Express probe and subsequent volume calculations do suggest the presence of voids and indicate that it is not a solid chunk of rock but a porous body. The porosity of Phobos was calculated to be 30% ± 5%, or a quarter to a third being empty. This void space is mostly on small scales (millimeters to ~1-m), between individual grains and boulders.

I've highlighted the bit which you have now wilfully ignored for the second time. Oh - it's from Wikipedia, so you should have no difficulty in finding the article. On the other hand, if you are having difficulty, try living inside a large sponge cake for a month or so.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Poodle wrote:... every time she posts her twaddle

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere ... :shock:

Speaking for myself -- and sometimes I'm not even authorized to do that -- I do not feel insulted by what she posts. In fact, I give her posts all the proper consideration they merit*.

*Footnote: meaning essentially none at all, anymore.

ryu238
Regular Poster

Postby ryu238 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Poodle if I can summarize, the 1\3 hollowness comes from the fact that Phobos is porous and not actually a sponge correct?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:42 pm

ryu238 wrote:Poodle if I can summarize, the 1\3 hollowness comes from the fact that Phobos is porous and not actually a sponge correct?

Absolutely correct, ryu. Exactly what I said to gorgeous only a few posts ago, but she prefers not to understand as it challenges her fantasies.

Harte
Poster

Postby Harte » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:27 am

Poodle wrote:As far as I'm concerned, gorgeous insults everyone on this forum every time she posts her twaddle (in my opinion, of course).

I agree. And I will add that if she would post her twattle, we might be slightly less insulted.

Harte
The skeptic, being a lover of his kind, desires to cure by speech, as best he can, the self-conceit and rashness of the dogmatists.
Sextus Empiricus, Outlines of PyrrhonismHello!

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so.
Bertrand Russell

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:37 am

Harte wrote:
Poodle wrote:As far as I'm concerned, gorgeous insults everyone on this forum every time she posts her twaddle (in my opinion, of course).

I agree. And I will add that if she would post her twattle, we might be slightly less insulted.

Harte

*looks around for condoms*
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:41 am

I noticed your new custom title. :heh:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 am

Harte wrote:

I think it is just spamming and she should be thrown off the forum, as she was thrown off the JREF forum. She is simply disrupting posts, with off-topic, cut & pastes, to get woo attention.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:20 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I think it is just spamming and she should be thrown off the forum, as she was thrown off the JREF forum. She is simply disrupting posts, with off-topic, cut & pastes, to get woo attention.

Some people have said the same thing about me.

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:52 pm

To Ellard, gorgeous may be doing what she's doing to attention, like you've surmised, but you got to take into account that we don't have sufficient evidence that attention is all she's after. We can't completely rule out that she actually believes what she's posting. Just because we understand the counter evidence doesn't understand it either, and can still circumvent it with her beliefs. (you can be smart even if you aren't rational)

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:04 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I noticed your new custom title. :heh:

Just an automatic.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:To Ellard, gorgeous may be doing what she's doing to attention, like you've surmised, but you got to take into account that we don't have sufficient evidence that attention is all she's after. We can't completely rule out that she actually believes what she's posting. Just because we understand the counter evidence doesn't understand it either, and can still circumvent it with her beliefs. (you can be smart even if you aren't rational)

--------------------------I do believe it and it will be known to all one day...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:20 pm

You intent to swamp the entire internet? You really think they all care to know about what you believe?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:21 pm

OlegTheBatty's writing style is looks very male to me, so I'd say the probability that he's male is quite high.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:28 pm

gorgeous wrote:Several of the Mars probes failed making people at NASA wonder who didn't want humans there

You see, it's stuff like that and the fact that you think nmblum is an Illuminati member (after she said she's an Illuminati member) that makes it incredibly hard for me to take you seriously.

Since it's far more probable that nmblum lied about it than told the truth, and it's very probable that most people would realize that, and the fact you didn't realize it, makes me think that you're just playing around with this whole thing.

Since it's far more likely that delicate instruments on a delicate spacecraft malfunctioned due to some unfortunate random chance, than it is for aliens to screw around with it, and you keep saying that aliens did it, makes me think that you're just playing around with this whole thing.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Monster wrote:

OlegTheBatty's writing style is looks very male to me, so I'd say the probability that he's male is quite high.

Hmmm. Perhaps I ought to make some adjustments . . . let me see . . . :scratch: . . . :bulb:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:You intent to swamp the entire internet? You really think they all care to know about what you believe?

----don't you let everyone know what you believe?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Cadmusteeth wrote:To Ellard, gorgeous may be doing what she's doing to attention, like you've surmised, but you got to take into account that we don't have sufficient evidence that attention is all she's after. We can't completely rule out that she actually believes what she's posting. Just because we understand the counter evidence doesn't understand it either, and can still circumvent it with her beliefs. (you can be smart even if you aren't rational)

--------------------------I do believe it and it will be known to all one day...

Yeah, during the invasion of the flying pigs from space.

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:02 pm

gorgeous wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:You intent to swamp the entire internet? You really think they all care to know about what you believe?

----don't you let everyone know what you believe?

You mean like you do in some threads? It would seem more like he and others are sharing opinions and leting others know when they think something's fishy. Why do you think they're more like you?

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:06 pm

Monster wrote:
gorgeous wrote:Several of the Mars probes failed making people at NASA wonder who didn't want humans there

You see, it's stuff like that and the fact that you think nmblum is an Illuminati member (after she said she's an Illuminati member) that makes it incredibly hard for me to take you seriously.

Since it's far more probable that nmblum lied about it than told the truth, and it's very probable that most people would realize that, and the fact you didn't realize it, makes me think that you're just playing around with this whole thing.

Since it's far more likely that delicate instruments on a delicate spacecraft malfunctioned due to some unfortunate random chance, than it is for aliens to screw around with it, and you keep saying that aliens did it, makes me think that you're just playing around with this whole thing.
How much evidence is there to support that she's just messing around though. Unless she admits it or we get access to information that says this we don't really know for sure.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote: How much evidence is there to support that she's just messing around though. Unless she admits it or we get access to information that says this we don't really know for sure.

Your poedar isn't any good?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:59 pm

gorgeous wrote:

----[why] don't you let everyone know what you believe?

Hey, everyone, listen... tap tap... is this thing on?... "gorgeous" here is gonna show you all a real moon...
Hi, Io the lurker.

HghrSymmetry
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: ViewClearerFromAbove

Postby HghrSymmetry » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:33 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Hey, everyone, listen... tap tap... is this thing on?... "gorgeous" here is gonna show you all a real moon...

Well, let's hope it isn't all withered and wrinkly.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:38 am

I don't have enough time to make enough posts to tell everyone what I think.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:55 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:To Ellard, gorgeous may be doing what she's doing to attention, like you've surmised, but you got to take into account that we don't have sufficient evidence that attention is all she's after.
I agree. We can't determine much, as her posts are copy & pastes that she already copied and pasted on the JREF forum. That's why I said they are basically "spamming".

...and please call me Matthew. We have chatted enough, to be on a first name basis, as forum friends.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:00 am

gorgeous wrote: ----don't you let everyone know what you believe?

No Gorgeous. This is a skeptic forum, that promotes critical thinking. If you post, that you have a weird belief, you are meant to justify that belief, through debate.

You simply say "It's true" because you are stupid and you are a mindless follower of "woo".

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:53 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
gorgeous wrote: ----don't you let everyone know what you believe?

No Gorgeous. This is a skeptic forum, that promotes critical thinking. If you post, that you have a weird belief, you are meant to justify that belief, through debate.

You simply say "It's true" because you are stupid and you are a mindless follower of "woo".

I find it interesting that different topics can irritate people differently. There are certain topics on this forum that push my hot button, and others that don't interest me in the least. The topics that Gorgeous posts about are somewhere in the middle, for me. I've read many books about New Age beliefs, including many by authors who sincerely believe as Gorgeous does. I would not call those authors stupid or mindless. Many of them are quite rational. It seems the problem is they start from a different set of axioms than you and I do.

There is no requirement for anyone here to justify their beliefs, just as there is no requirement to accept beliefs that are not justified. Many of us cut and paste lots of stuff from the internet in justification for our positions, and I would not call that "spamming", else I too would get booted from this forum. Whether this forum should apply the same level of censorship that the JREF forum uses is not up to me (or you).

I understand your frustration, Matthew, since I get the same way in certain other threads in this forum, and I truly want to call the other person stupid and mindless and ignorant. And in fact, I have done so on occasion, but I am trying to learn not to attack the other person and focus more on the issue at hand. But that's just me.

When I compare my reaction here to the stuff Gorgeous posts with my reaction to stuff that [name withheld] posts in certain other threads, I have to wonder, why does the first one not bother me and the second one does? The content is equally (I really don't want to use this word) stupid and ignorant. So what can I learn from my lack of frustration with Gorgeous that I can apply to other threads on this forum that push my hot button?

Don't mind me, Matthew, I'm just thinking out loud here. In my book, you've always been one of the good guys on the forum, and I don't want to get you mad at me. :)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:16 am

xouper wrote: Don't mind me, Matthew, I'm just thinking out loud here. In my book, you've always been one of the good guys on the forum, and I don't want to get you mad at me. :)
No, go for for it. You are obviously right in that I'm expressing my personal view on Gorgeous and what "I" think is spamming.

My annoyance is that there are occasional threads that seem to be getting interesting and then Shaka throws in his regular, "You are only dreaming this" post, and the thread falls apart.

It is my understanding that the new forum software does not allow for isolating specific members to specific threads. If it did, I would prefer Shaka & Gorgeous to be isolated to the "religion and beliefs" threads.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:23 pm

you would like us to be isolated on another planet....and life is but a dream....wake up.... :mrgreen:

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:19 pm

gorgeous wrote:you would like us to be isolated on another planet....and life is but a dream....wake up.... :mrgreen:

I think we're all awake when we post here. I have never heard of sleep-posting.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:59 pm

physical life is one fraction of our multi-dimensional existence....waking up refers to becoming aware of that and learning of the non-physical dimensions and life everywhere...

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:01 pm

And the Weekly World News has at least one subscriber.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:07 pm

"For almost a hundred years science has been haunted by a dark secret: that there might be mysterious hidden worlds beyond our human senses. Mystics had long claimed there were such places. They were, they said, full of ghosts and spirits. The last thing science wanted was to be associated with superstition but ever since the 1920s physicists have been trying to make sense of an uncomfortable discovery. When they tried to pinpoint the exact location of atomic particles like electrons they found it was utterly impossible. They had no single location.

The only explanation which anyone could come up with is that the particles don’t just exist in our universe. They flit into existence in other universes too and there are an infinite number of these parallel universes, all of them slightly different. In effect, there’s a parallel universe in which Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. In another the British Empire held onto its American colony. In one you were never even born. "------- BBC Horizon Documentary

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”