Simulation?

What does make the world turn?
Alexander941
Regular Poster
Custom Title: sublime God Emperor

Simulation?

Postby Alexander941 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 am

Found another article (okay its just the daily mail) about the same topic which wouldnt really fit in the code-thread:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2216189/Do-live-Matrix-researchers-say-way-prove-do.html#comments

What do you think about the idea, i mean in connection with the cosmic background radiation?

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: Simulation?

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:09 pm

We all experience déjà vu so we all already know we live in the Matrix.

Seriously, the tough part of that proposal is
Daily Mail wrote:All we have to do to identify what these constraints would be is to build our own simulation of the universe, which is close to what many researchers are trying to do on an incredibly miniscule scale.

How do you do that?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Postby angawawa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Very tiny workers. Also known as VTWs.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

Alexander941
Regular Poster

Postby Alexander941 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm

VTWs?
Sorry i dont know that Acronym.

back to the topic.: I think these things can be explained in other ways, but i find the thinking patterns interesting... i dont really dare to say it but it sounds like Theology.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 pm

:lol:

Glorious sensayuma failure (also known as a GSF).

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Alexander941 wrote:VTWs?
Sorry i dont know that Acronym.

back to the topic.: I think these things can be explained in other ways, but i find the thinking patterns interesting... i dont really dare to say it but it sounds like Theology.

That would be an abbreviation, not an acronym. ;)

Alexander941
Regular Poster

Postby Alexander941 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 am

Glorious sensayuma failure (also known as a GSF).

I apologize for the slaughter of innocent laughters.

Alexander941
Regular Poster

Postby Alexander941 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:56 pm

another question: If someone would create a simulation of a vast 3d universe on a computer, to study how galaxys form for example, and intelligent life would evolve there*, would it live like it would in a computer as state of information on a media, or would it precept its world as 3d universe?

*the creator would have no intention to fool this life to belive the sim is a real universe, he might not even care about that form of life.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:06 pm

In one sense, this idea has much in common with sollipsism. That is, it is impossible to know for sure if anything is real, or only has existence in a form of illusion. You can argue the point, if you wish. After all, philosophers have been discussing sollipsism for at least 2,500 years without coming to a conclusion. Seems a bit pointless to me.

Anomaly
Poster

Postby Anomaly » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I have read some about the various theories of simulation. There are scientific concepts behind them. Although I can understand the thought of theology can come to mind when such idea is vaguely known.

The idea of simulation must be understood beyond the concept known from own computer and own capacity to generate a 3D model on it. It is also not a philosophical question about if the illusion of reality, as realities other than the one we know is irrelevant. More or less as when Stephen Hawking say any point prior to big bang is of no relevance.

The simulation theory I am most familiar with is founded upon something that is a puzzle to science. As the universe basically is information, there must be a source or origin from where this information comes. Now it could be that reality is just a construct of the mind, a perception leading us to create a structure and system represented to us as real. Science of course assumes a objective reality as source for the subjective reality, naturally implying reality being more than the construct of the mind.

A picture is only the representation of information we interpret as real. When you look at yourself on pictures from your childhood, it is difficult to comprehend that the person on the pictures are not you, but only the representation of information as image perceived as you.

Not that I claim to understand such a complex concept. Far from to be honest. What I find interesting nonetheless, is that information irrelevant of representation, requires a source. It is like the mysterious and fascinating biological unsolved riddle with origin and source of information that makes up DNA. And how we in some sense are copies of copies, a reflection of the same source. Although often rejected or denied by theology and religion, it is this recognition of familiarity with animals that proves evolution. The perceived different simulation of the various representations that originates from the same source.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:32 am

Tech billionaires convinced we live in the Matrix are secretly funding ...

www.independent.co.uk/life.../computer- ... elon-mus...

Oct 6, 2016 - ... humans out of the simulation that they believe that it is living in, according to a new report. ... We are living in a computer simulation, Elon Musk says ... funding scientists in an effort to try and break us out of that simulation.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:02 am

gorgeous wrote:Tech billionaires convinced we live in the Matrix are secretly funding ...

No Gorgeous. Look at the old date of the article. Note how none of the experiments ever actually took place. :lol:

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”