Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

What does make the world turn?
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: Time Travel Isn't Possible…Or Is It?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:09 am

String theory is misnamed. It is not a theory. It is barely a hypothesis. Maybe a speculation ?

Until it can be tested empirically, meaning it must generate a testable prediction, it is just pink unicorns.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:String theory is misnamed. It is not a theory. It is barely a hypothesis. Maybe a speculation ?

Until it can be tested empirically, meaning it must generate a testable prediction, it is just pink unicorns.

What do you mean by that............its just a speculation? Its in the freaking dictionary: "a three dimensional hypersurface embedded in a higher dimensional bulk." As a hypersurface....shirley we can run around and play on it?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:String theory is misnamed. It is not a theory. It is barely a hypothesis. Maybe a speculation ?

Fair enough. It's just a mathematical model like the standard model of the atom. However it was the application of "field mathematics" that lead to quantum mechanics......so......you may as well start from somewhere.... :D

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:... As a hypersurface....shirley we can run around and play on it?

Yes - just strap on your HyperbootsTM and you can play to your heart's content.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 am

The standard model of the atom led to testable predictions.
Quantum mechanics led to testable predictions.

Those predictions were tested and could not be falsified, giving strength to both ideas.
String "theory " has not done this.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am

to be fair, String Theory doesn't aim to be more accurate than Relativity and Quantum Mechanics; it tries to combine the two into a unified theory and remove the cases where the tow contradict each other.

So it's more a question of whether is ST is more elegant/efficient than switching between the two theories as necessary.
Currently, it isn't.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gord wrote:Besides, if it's supposed to be paradise, nobody wants a copy of me in there. :beee:
I can visualize it...

"Excuse me, who's in charge here? I need to make a complaint. There are at least a dozen signs in this so-called paradise that are mis-spelled. How can you call it paradise when I'm miserable every time I'm forced to look at imperfection? Fix it, already." :mrgreen:
FTFY
Wreckage.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:45 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:face it, not that many female wizard players
My main avatar was a female elf who was a chaotic good wizard. :mrgreen: Our Dungeon Master was also female...and harsh. I recall narrowly escaping with my life because I failed to specify how I was still holding onto the rope from which I was dangling whilst gesturing with both hands. She didn't kill me for it, but I did flip upside down and lose needed supplies as a result. :oops:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:35 pm

He may already be stoned.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:The standard model of the atom led to testable predictions.
Quantum mechanics led to testable predictions.

Those predictions were tested and could not be falsified, giving strength to both ideas.
String "theory " has not done this.

String Theory Finally Does Something Useful
"We can use string theory to solve problems in a different area of physics," said theoretical physicist Michael Duff of Imperial College London. "In that context it's actually useful: We can make statements which you could in principle check by experiment." Duff and his colleagues describe their findings in a paper in Physical Review Letters September 2.
https://www.wired.com/2010/09/stringy-quantum/

As Electric Monk states, String theory is a model that includes gravity. In this article, String Theory predicted something else which wasn't expected.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:47 am

That is fine, Matthew. But there is saying about the proof in the pudding ......

In other words, string theory must be used to make a testable prediction, which is then tested. If that is done, and the prediction is not falsified, I will be very happy to take it more seriously.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:That is fine, Matthew. But there is saying about the proof in the pudding ......

In other words, string theory must be used to make a testable prediction, which is then tested. If that is done, and the prediction is not falsified, I will be very happy to take it more seriously.

Lance. You and I are in same boat. We don't know yet.....but we are both watching. :D

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:46 am

And by the looks of it without a poodle sorry paddle. If you widen your aperture you will not have to sit there like two peas in a pod waiting to get mushy over the next theory base. You can see the reality of it instead. The source of the universe cannot be governed by the universe's that it manifests. And there are lots of them.

Ultimately there can be no single set of rules that could possibly explain all physical interactions in the observable universe because the consciousness of it is changeful and always on the move (simple logic). Your dream world hangs on a thread of consciousness (this is your string theory) :lol:

You don't know what you are doing from one day to the next, even your quantum theories predict this uncertainty. Of course you have a technical idea but you see how ignorant your science is? You are trying to test things on the smallest of scale without having the technological ability to do so. In regards to truth, life, reality, consciousness you will always be chasing your tail and getting lost up your rear end. But hey when you are ignorant of your own ignorance what do you expect? :mrgreen: 's

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:00 am

Confidencia

Those of us who study science are very, very aware of how little we know. But, the real ignoramuses are those who try to avoid science and come up with intuitive ideas to replace science. Those guys are the genuine crackpots.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:29 am

Confidencia wrote: Ultimately there can be no single set of rules that could possibly explain all physical interactions in the observable universe because the consciousness of it is changeful and always on the move (simple logic).

You really are an idiot. The rule of the universe were established .00001 nanoseconds after the big bang, when no conscious thing was present. You simply suffer medieval religious narcissism in thinking life has anything to do with the rules of the universe, when no life was even present for billions of years. :lol:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 am

Inside a black hole.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 am

Emergence creates new laws out of selecting only parts of the basic physical ones.
The universe wasn't created for life, but life is making a great effort at bending the universe to its will.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Confidencia wrote: Ultimately there can be no single set of rules that could possibly explain all physical interactions in the observable universe because the consciousness of it is changeful and always on the move (simple logic).

You really are an idiot. The rule of the universe were established .00001 nanoseconds after the big bang, when no conscious thing was present. You simply suffer medieval religious narcissism in thinking life has anything to do with the rules of the universe, when no life was even present for billions of years. :lol:

On the contrary. Life, consciousness, reality is independent of the mind, it is neither conscious nor unconscious. So which Big Bang are we talking about here? There is one every time consciousness explodes into being. Life as you know it was not present billions of years ago. Life as it is has always been the case. Whether there is an observer or not is irrelevant.

Long live drallE the drateR! :mrgreen:

Confidencia
Poster

Postby Confidencia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:11 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Confidencia

Those of us who study science are very, very aware of how little we know. But, the real ignoramuses are those who try to avoid science and come up with intuitive ideas to replace science. Those guys are the genuine crackpots.

Yes Lance, indeed they are. And there are those of us who acknowledge the genuine crackpots and their genius. If it wasn't for these people science would not be where it is today.

Like ellard you study books lance or rather other people's findings, thinking for yourself would probably be too much of an arduous task for you. The way I see it it is not avoidance but rather seeing the obvious.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:41 pm

No, Confidencia.

I think for myself. But unlike the crackpots, I apply a little discipline to my thinking. This means I do not come up with clear signs of ignorance and silliness. I do not postulate stuff for which there is no empirical evidence, such as the universe having a consciousness.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Confidencia wrote: On the contrary. Life, consciousness, reality is independent of the mind.......blah blah blah,
Who cares? You made a really stupid religious claim that the rules of the universe are defined by consciousness, yet there were no minds, consciousness or anything other than photons, electrons and protons when the universe started and its rules were defined.

Your religious fantasy makes no sense. Go away.
:lol:

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”