Minimal life of Mars?

What does make the world turn?
User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8602
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue May 16, 2017 8:21 pm

The atmosphere on Mars is rich in carbon monoxide, according to 13 May issue of New Scientist. Here on Earth this gas is a source of energy (hence food) for bacteria, by oxidising it to CO2. If bacteria were present on Mars, we would expect them to consume this lovely food source, and reduce it to a tiny fraction of what it is. But they have not.

The conclusion is that life on Mars is very, very scarce, or non existent.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18389
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Unless they were dormant due to the severe cold. We've had bacteria that survived on the Moon for years.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8602
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue May 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Hmmm

Dormant, you say?

To see an entire atmosphere, even a thin one, build up that much carbon monoxide, would require dormancy of millions of years.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18389
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Hmmm

Dormant, you say?

To see an entire atmosphere, even a thin one, build up that much carbon monoxide, would require dormancy of millions of years.

And the Solar system is how old?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
gorgeous
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3530
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby gorgeous » Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 pm

monuments on mars...related to monuments on earth...no accident.... https://youtu.be/qSoIzF6a1no
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3530
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby gorgeous » Tue May 16, 2017 10:15 pm

mars remote viewed ...beings were there https://youtu.be/HlLq7KDU2HY
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18389
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 16, 2017 10:16 pm

You know, you don't have to proof how asinine you are at every possible occasion. We already know that.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9970
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue May 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Not all terrestrial bacteria oxidize CO. How do we know that Martian ones do?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
gorgeous
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3530
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby gorgeous » Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 pm

I have given all the prove you need about Mars life being real....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18389
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 16, 2017 10:46 pm

gorgeous wrote:I have given all the prove you need about Mars life being real....

I.e., "none". Are those dingleberries around your mouth or are you just glad to see me?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8602
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Not all terrestrial bacteria oxidize CO. How do we know that Martian ones do?


Fair point, Oleg. This observation is not PROOF that Mars lacks life, but it is nevertheless EVIDENCE.

Life does not exist in solitary splendour. Life evolves into many forms, and evolves to occupy many niches. If life was abundant on Mars, we would expect at least some to adapt to making use of such an attractive energy source. Sure, this is not a certainty, but it is strongly indicative.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24803
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue May 16, 2017 11:50 pm

gorgeous wrote:mars remote viewed ...beings were there by Joe McMoneagle
You really are a total idiot. You have posted a "remote viewing" video by Joe McMoneagle and forgotten his conclusion.

"According to McMoneagle, humans came from creatures somewhat like sea otters rather than primates and were created in a laboratory by creators who "seeded" the earth and then departed"

The Ultimate Time Machine: A Remote Viewer's Perception of Time and Predictions for the New Millennium by Joseph McMoneagle, Hampton Roads Publishing Co., Inc., 1998

Gorgeous? Do you agree you evolved from sea otters?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24803
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed May 17, 2017 12:14 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:The atmosphere on Mars is rich in carbon monoxide, according to 13 May issue of New Scientist. Here on Earth this gas is a source of energy (hence food) for bacteria, by oxidising it to CO2. If bacteria were present on Mars, we would expect them to consume this lovely food source, and reduce it to a tiny fraction of what it is. But they have not. The conclusion is that life on Mars is very, very scarce, or non existent.


That sort of makes sense.

I cannot imagine a single species planet, as I think evolution is probably a universal "rule". However, I would also imagine that any competing evolved species would also first "eat up" all the available resources. So it would be the same result.

I think that this did happen on Earth as that's why the atmosphere changed to oxygen nitrogen as an evolutionary advantage in photosynthesis arose to obtain a new resource.

My "gut feeling" is that if there was once life on Mars, there would be more obvious evidence today, as some form of eco system would have formed over millions of years, even if it were only bacteria sized "thingees". There should be some sort of "bacteria graveyards" like oil exists on Earth.

(I'm open minded on this discussion as it is really just conjecture)

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9970
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed May 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:I think that this did happen on Earth as that's why the atmosphere changed to oxygen nitrogen as an evolutionary advantage in photosynthesis arose to obtain a new resource.



O2 is a waste product. We are breathing billion year old microorganism farts.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2367
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
O2 is a waste product. We are breathing billion year old microorganism farts.



actually, it's a rather catastrophic cell toxin. Without our mitochondria, it would kill us rather quickly.
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II

User avatar
Nobrot
Poster
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Nobrot » Wed May 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Can this new (taking forever to build) James Webb telescope detect free oxygen in exoplanets?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18389
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed May 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Nobrot wrote:Can this new (taking forever to build) James Webb telescope detect free oxygen in exoplanets?

https://jwst.nasa.gov/science.html
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8602
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Minimal life of Mars?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 pm

The existence or non existence of life outside Earth is perhaps the greatest of present day mysteries. The James Webb telescope may or may not confirm its existence. Denial is probably not possible. It is a bit like 'proving' the non existence of God. Cannot logically be done. So we keep doing research to try to find extraterrestrial life. So far there is no sign. But, like believing in God, there are millions of people who choose to believe that such life is common. Since they have no evidence, that belief is held purely on the basis of blind faith, also like belief in God.


Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest